CPU requirements for WHS & MediaPortal?

FromTheLou

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm attempting to consolidate my current HTPC and my WHS server into a single box.

I'm looking at the following components, but I'm unsure of the CPU to get to handle both applications. As well, having built two mini-itx htpc's before I know that heat is a concern, so if anyone has any thoughts about moving away from the mini-itx platform I'd love to hear them.

Silence (if possible) would be nice and I know that the HSF's that I've used in my previous Zotac 8200 build and in my current Zotack 9300 build are loud.

As well I do know that currently when my WHS starts moving files around with DE my playback starts to stutter so I want to make sure that I've got enough CPU to be able to handle both 1080P playback and WHS at the same time.

Proposed new build
Motherboard:
ZOTAC GF8200-C-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

CPU:
???? (You make the call!)

Case:
CHENBRO ES34069-BK-180

Current WHS Build:
PE SC440 w/ E2120 & 2GB ram
2x 1.5TB Seagates
2x 1.0TB Hitachi's

Current HTPC Build:
Zotac 9300-ITX w/ E5200 & 4GB ram
120GB 2.5" laptop drive for the OS (Will be moved to the new system

Any thoughts or am I crazy?

You're right, you are crazy.
1. the two systems have really different hardware requirements
2. you'll drive yourself nuts trying to find drivers and HTPC gear that will run under WHS
3. functionally, there will be clashes when WHS is trying to do what it does while the HTPC is trying to do what it does

why not just run the HTPC with norton ghost for image backups?

I would not try and do a WHS and an HTPC together....

I have done a virtual WHS on a Desktop PC and it worked fine, maybe try that

Two separate machines. Keep it that way.

HTPC clients... and a main server for all your other needs, like backups, music/movies/tv storage, downloading/uploading, etc.

I'm attempting to consolidate my current HTPC and my WHS server into a single box....

I didn't read anything past this because it's so crazy/stupid that it's not even funny. Don't do it. Plain and simple: Don't. Fucking. Do. It.

It's a world of pain and stupidity.

I have done a virtual WHS on a Desktop PC and it worked fine, maybe try that

The more I think about it, this is the route I will go.

The reasoning behind this is as follows:

I am moving from the US to London and need to cut down on the amount of machines I will be bringing with me. Not only for the cost to move them, but the cost to run them once I'm there.

I have 4 servers, (2 for work and 2 for home use) along with my main gaming desktop and 4 laptops (2 mine and 2 hers). Plus my HTPC that is in the front room.

So as you can see bringing 6 computers plus 2 laptops isn't the ideal solution. So I started to think about how I could consolidate machines. I had considered moving both work servers to a VM server (1 of them currently is Win2k8 w/ Hyper-V that runs most of my work VM's) along with both personal servers.

The more I thought about it after I posted and after reading your posts, I came to the following conclusion.

I will build a nice VM server w/ ESXi that will house the VM's for work, and I will consolidate both personal servers to VM's as well. I'll leave the 9300/E5200 as the HTPC and upgrade my gaming machine to a small i7/GTX260 gaming machine.

I'll keep my T42 and Acer netbook as well.

Now the next decision is to figure out if I want to go with a E5504 server or grab a couple of those cheap Opty 8346HE's.

I'm thinking that those Opty's w/ 16GB of ram should run a couple database servers, a WHS VM and 4 Win2k3 App server VM's without a problem. But that is a question for another sub-forum.

Thanks all for your input and for helping me avoid some headaches! :cool:

yeah no problem, i ran my WHS with out issues on a less hardware than that....

Back