cpu speed or cpu cache, which is better for performance?

infamus

Gawd
ok simple question. Does Vmware perform better if the CPU speed or cache is higher?

I think the premise of this question is slightly flawed.
VMware itself uses very little resources, so it could care less what CPU you run it on as long as it is supported.

Physical CPU resources are shared between VMs, thus all VMs need to share the clock cycles as well as available cache (at least in most basic terms). Whether your VMs would benefit from more CPU cycles or more cache depends on what you are doing with them. However, while there will certainly be a difference in performance between a 512K cache and a 6MB cache (per core), the practical difference between 4MB and 6MB is likely to be only noticeable in benchmarks rather than observation.

I think the premise of this question is slightly flawed.
VMware itself uses very little resources, so it could care less what CPU you run it on as long as it is supported.

Physical CPU resources are shared between VMs, thus all VMs need to share the clock cycles as well as available cache (at least in most basic terms). Whether your VMs would benefit from more CPU cycles or more cache depends on what you are doing with them. However, while there will certainly be a difference in performance between a 512K cache and a 6MB cache (per core), the practical difference between 4MB and 6MB is likely to be only noticeable in benchmarks rather than observation.

let me rephrase the question,

when running VMware ESXi would a faster clock speed help performance of the VM's them selves or would a higher cache size be more beneficial all around? (all VM's in same RP taking all available)

VM's will be runnung anything from fedora to Server 2003

To answer your question it's important to know what the VMs do, it's not as important to know what OS they are running.

CPU (data) cache is used as a buffer between the CPU and the main memory. Whenever the CPU needs something from memory, it checks the cache first, if the data is cached, then it fetches it from cache which is quicker than to get it from main memory.

If your VMs will run memory intensive tasks (i.e. transactional DB, etc.) then more cache will likely give you better performance than more CPU cycles. If you do more pure numbercrunching (i.e. scientific modeling, folding, etc.) then more CPU cycles will likely give you better performance.

Still, without that I can back it up with factual evidence, my gut feeling tells me that when considering modern CPUs the difference in performance one way or another is negligible unless you are running Amazon.com or some such.

Lets bring up an old thread!

so this debate has come up at the office recently as we look to upgrade servers.

Any new thoughts on this?

>If your VMs will run memory intensive tasks (i.e. transactional DB, etc.) then more cache will likely give you better performance than more CPU cycles. If you do more pure numbercrunching (i.e. scientific modeling, folding, etc.) then more CPU cycles will likely give you better performance.

All the same.

Back