CPU Upgrade for Dell Inspiron 1100?

Treppiede

Limp Gawd
Sup Guys...

I just took apart my friend's Inspiron 1100 (which comes with a Celeron 2GHz) and I was pleased to see that the CPU uses a regular 478 Socket (Laptop ZIF type). The CPU is a Celeron - 2GHz/128/400 which stands for 128Kb L2 cache and 400MHz FSB.

I would like to help my friend by installing a P4 on it, but before we go to NewEgg and start adding CPU and AC5 to the cart I thought it would be wise to come here and ask your opinion. ;)

Who's very familiar with Inspiron 1100 motherboards here? Who can tell me exactly what is the highest CPU that this motherboard will support, assuming we are running the latest BIOS revision (which is A32)?

I was looking at some Northwoods on NewEgg, specifically a 2GHz 400FSB with 512 of L2 cache which would be already a nice jump in performance, although if we could push it to a nice little 2.4GHz 533FSB (or something along those lines) it would be even better.

Please let me know your opinion on this or - better - if you have already done some research and know which CPU will be supported let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Walter

I would guess no 533mhz bus for you, mobo probably doesn't support it...as far as the P4, as long as the bios supports it the thing should run, but due to the increase in heat generated by the higher clocked P4 there is a question of how long it will run, might want to do some more research on that....was the 1100 line offered with a P4 option?

TheCzar said:
I would guess no 533mhz bus for you, mobo probably doesn't support it...as far as the P4, as long as the bios supports it the thing should run, but due to the increase in heat generated by the higher clocked P4 there is a question of how long it will run, might want to do some more research on that....was the 1100 line offered with a P4 option?
Those are all questions I am already asking myself. :)

Does anybody know exactly what upgraded CPU works with this mobo?

Thanks,

Walter

Back