CPU Vcore difference BIOS <-> reality?

Steelwormpilot

Weaksauce
I just played around a bit with my OC settings, since I got some crashes from time to time. Now I concentrated for the Vcore setting for my Q6600 G0, which is targeted to run @ 3,6 GHz (9x400 MHz).

Mainboard would be XFX 780i with P03 BIOS. In BIOS, I set the Vcore to 1.4v and booted windows... checked everything with CPU-Z and was surprised:
CPU-Z showed a core voltage of around 1,35v not the configured 1,4v. I started BIOS again, raised the Vcore a bit to around 1,4125v. Checked CPU-Z again and the Vcore only increased a little - to around 1,36v.

A few minutes ago I raised BIOS Vcore to 1,45v. Just looked at CPU-Z again which now states 1,4v Vcore.

Is there really such a large difference of ~0,05V between BIOS setting and real, used setting? Could there be a bug with CPU-Z, maybe it reads the Vcore wrong.
I am a bit worried when running the CPU at 1,45v and I am confused which voltage is the right one:
The BIOS setting or the one CPU-Z tells me.

I asked the same question myself, at 3.2ghz 356x9 and voltage set to 1.25 in bios - cpuz reads 1.168v and hw monitor says 1.17v. vdrop is confusing me

Well vDroop is put in place to prevent damaging your cpu/mobo. There is some mod to decrease it and/or take it away but i've never done it.

Back