CR2032 HP/Compaq Cmos Battery Help

Hello, needing some advice on a cmos battery for a laptop. It's a standard CR2032 but it wasn't installed in a PCB holder. It was shrinkwrapped and glued next to the memory slots inside the laptop. There are two metal leads glued to the battery on either side. I called Frys and Microcenter and no luck. EBay has a bunch but they are all 15 days shipped from Hong Kong. Should I try and make my own? Just get a new battery, glue on the leads somehow, and insulate it with electrical tape? What do you guys think? Thanks for the advice. :)

Yeah that will work. Use something like hot glue to attach the leads to the battery then wrap it in electrical tape and/or shrink wrap. You'll be good to go.

Yeah that will work. Use something like hot glue to attach the leads to the battery then wrap it in electrical tape and/or shrink wrap. You'll be good to go.

Will hot glue hold with the temps inside a laptop? Any risk of insulating the connection with the glue as well? Thanks for your help!

Edit: What about soldering? Is that an option? For the record, I'd prefer glue if it works.

Last edited:
I do believe hot glue needs ~80*C to melt and if the ambient temp in the laptop reaches 80*C, you've got some problems. It's not like the battery will be resting on the CPU or GPU where 80*C might not be uncommon.

Back