crashed my CrashFreeBios2!

frag85

Limp Gawd
basically, i was flashing the bios on my ASUS P8P800 and the power browned out, and my UPS failed. upon the machine restarting, nothing. just HDD lights staying on.

i have tried the crashfreebios2 feature of alt-f2 (as directed on the ASUS website and in the p4p800 manual) with no luck. the floppy drive is not even lighting up like it is detected and the HDD access light on the case stays on solid for about 30 seconds with no audible thrashing going on. when i press any keys on the keyboard the HDD light shuts off, then turns back on, and the cd rom drives go through their initiallization cycle of the lights just blinking a few times, then go out.

i googled around a bit and found some sites where i can get the hardware to reflash my bios chip, or buy a new chip, with or without the bios flashed to it. i do not have a spare bios chip to do a hot flash either.

am i missing anything? is there some other method to fixing a currupt bios flash on a crashfreebios2 motherboard?

Did you happen to backup your old bios prior to flashing the new one? If not, contact ASUS. They should send you a new chip.

you aren't the first & you won't be the last.
Luckily your board has a socketed BIOS chip unlike the latest Asus boards so it's an easy swap.

Back