Crazy Cooling Idea: Rig in Chest Freezer?

Underground tanks here

Please don't try using freezers. And to the person who said vegetables produce heat, are you serious? Any food once in a freezer is not "producing heat"; it is losing heat and eventually heat entropy occurs. With a computer, it is producing vast amounts of heat constantly.

Seriously, if you want to get long-term cheap-cooling you need to use the ground or a swimming pool

I was seriously considering this route. However, where I live we have about of soil before hitting solid rock. When I was a kid I helped my dad plant a tree. We had to rent a jackhammer.

ummm unless you have cosmic tech there is no superconducting perfect materials there will always be resistance and you need enough power to overcome loss of heat and movement so electrons flow easier which can be very beneficial and also very destructive.

Again, pre-cool said unit then secondary cooling will not have near the same heat to wick away. Hell even a double step for the rads would allow more surface area to wick away heat into ambient air(a main rad leads to a secondary)

TEC can keep up to high dissipation high output motors I do not see why they cannot with cpu as in strap a high output TEC to a heatsink in a sandwich type concept. Dell used to do H2C and I know coolit used to do quite a few but these are also not high end TEC units not like they use commercially or for industrial side, the amount of cooling can be ramped up big time, but like you stated AND I stated you have to deal with the heat and power consumed so, cold yes, efficient not by a long shot. http://www.tetech.com/?gclid=CJyGlOnJmLwCFa5DMgodHRQAeQ as an example. No different then liquid cooling that consumers use vs more professional approaches, A capacity B lifetime.

http://www.advancedfreezer.com/content.php?cat=113
to keep said freezer frozen requires a lot of energy vs keeping it cold so again using it as a cooling medium I can see not being that hard IF you use other forms to try to shed as much heat as possible first, to use it as a primary "I want to make this -20c" not going to happen without a walk in freezer type thing, there is these type units http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g49/Phase_Change.html

anyways am done arguing about it, I understand 100% that one cannot do this as a first rate measure, simply to much heat to wick away and not enough cold without it killing the unit, to use it as a "buddy" system to help the cooling I can see it no problem if that cannot be understood well then not my problem.

The best solution probably would be to get an old water heater and dig a hole, the ground is one hell of a heatsink and if you go down 30 feet or so bloody cold as well.

Ok, so now we went from saying a freezer would work, to then suggesting tecs. Are you looking at the specs of any of this, or????

The techs required to supercool a folding box+wc loop+freezer+power requirements of freezer+power requirements of tec This is all upside down.

A WC loop will work fine.

Using air will work just fine.

I am not sure why you are trying so hard to reinvent the wheel here. It is 100-120 in my basement in the summer with multiple folding boxes running. They are watched very closely and have not had a NcrMltDwn as of yet.

I had 2p 4p g34 boxes pulling 1000-1100w form the wall, so yes, I am first hand experience. Between the 4 machines, in excess of 10k but/h.

I invite you, get your hands dirty and show me I am wrong here. My $100 bounty on using the freezer still stands. Core32 suggested that you use a hair drier in a freezer.

San Antonio, TX where we have 2-3 months of cold weather
Rephrase: San Antonio, where you have 2-3 months of not-overbearingly-hot weather. Your cold winter is about like my 'hot' summer. :)

OK, on a more serious note, cooling. If you run the 4P at default frequency, the computer will be reliable at quite high ambient temps. Yes, that's coming from first hand experience, albeit not the 100+ ambient experience one of the other posters mentioned.

My garage will easily reach 100 degrees in the summer. I'm seriously considering the underground water reservoir for a cooling loop. It doesn't matter what system I use in the garage, if the heat is being recirculated. Dumping the heat outside would be ideal.

apparently the watertank thing that I mentioned works very well, you could in theory have a "burm" that you draw air through and push that through said garage and not have to worry about pumps and rads and such, bigger hole with a snaked airpipe and push air through said pipe, blow said air into garage and vent hot air from garage directly out, same basic idea though, the ground is much cooler ambient temperature then the surrounding air, and in the winter does tend to be a bit warmer then ambient so it pretty much self regulates if you do it right.

"Berm homes are usually built on flat land or a small hill where the earth is brought up and tightly packed against the exterior walls. Depending on the desires of the homeowners, earth could cover one or more sides of the house. You could even have a garden on your roof if you wanted! However, remember to keep in mind that more berming equals more efficiency!" So in its basic concept, a soil/sand hill even if you dug a hole, buried some sort of vent into this so you could push or draw air from it, more airgap/space in said berm better temps, wouldn't be that hard to do if you had the space/place to do it.

http://hackaday.com/2010/03/22/pc-cooling-using-1000-ft2-geothermal/
all depends on how extravangant you want to go, efficient is not trying to get as cold as possible but trying to stay at ambient to just above ambient which groundwater i.e a well will happily maintain, hell if one had a swimming pool run lines into it and make the heat go into said swimming pool, you would have to dump a hell of a lot of heat to make pool rise any significant temps before it cools down overnight :)

Rediculous. Read the comments. The most impressive thing to most posters was that he had a track-hoe.
Plus, my pool water gets to 90F all summer and barely drops at night.

you do realize warm water cooling is being used in tons of server rooms now yes, 90F is only 32c 104 is 40c either way plenty cold enough to keep cpu-gpu-motherboard well in their operating temps(not a bad idea to still have air circulating in said room though, and whatever heat you are generating will be mostly wicked away)

I did read some of the comments, was just using it as something to show, as in if one got bigger hose and instead of digging a trench(rectangle shallow) on instead digs a ditch or burm(deep but short) with shorter but thicker tubing, anyways, seen that pic and had to post it, made me lol, I can see possibilities of it as the ground truly is a hell of a heatsink, however by the length of said tubing first thought I had "dude is going to rip up his entire yard"

Seriously, car radiator, you just need copper core ones, not even solid copper, they are <$70 for copper core/aluminium fins, get a box fan to blow on it and you're golden. Just make sure that the water doesn't get cooled to below ambient in your house, otherwise condensation could form on your pc.

EDIT: $50 radiator here.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back