Crazy temps just from closing case

Scyles

[H]ard|Gawd
E6300 @ 3.115 idling at ~45C with case door off. I get 54C just from closing the case. One 80mm in the front, two in the rear. It seems one of the rear fans is malfunctioning, but that doesn't account for the high temps. My case, (XKroma) apparently has horrible airflow.

I pointed a regular house fan at an angle, blowing toward the heatsink and the back of the case, and my idle temp went all the way down to 34C!

At this point, I'm just leaving the case door off, but I worry about dust and dog hair, and other particles. Perhaps there is some kind of mesh I can put over it? I've run systems for months and months without the case door on, and they've been fine with regular cleaning, but they weren't overclocked systems like this. Anyone else run their system with the side panel off 24/7?

With my case open, I get higher E6400 CPU temps. Something sounds off with your case.

For reference, In my a super lanboy I have 3 120MM Nexus fans running in the case for thermalright ultra 120, Powersupply and rear exhaust. Idle temps hold @ 38c, 3440Mhz/430 FSB & 1.385 volts.

It's possible that one bad fan can upset the designed airflow in a case. Also, the other fans aren't gunked up with aforementioned dog hair and etc are they?

jebo_4jc said:
It's possible that one bad fan can upset the designed airflow in a case. Also, the other fans aren't gunked up with aforementioned dog hair and etc are they?

The system is brand new, so its perfectly clean at the moment.

I like the article chris posted. My case has a very bad rear design. There is a lot of metal, and small holes for the air to get out. In addition, the metal forces me to use 80mm fans instead of 120mm. I can't wait to chop holes in my case!

Scyles said:
The system is brand new, so its perfectly clean at the moment.

I like the article chris posted. My case has a very bad rear design. There is a lot of metal, and small holes for the air to get out. In addition, the metal forces me to use 80mm fans instead of 120mm. I can't wait to chop holes in my case!
While you're chopping, you might consider making room for 120mm or at least 90mm fans if there's room. I've done it---sometimes it's a mess, but it's the back of the case, so it doesn't really matter.

If one of your fans is blowing the wrong way, this will cause the temp to increase drastically. Case in point, we had a customer come to our workplace complaining about high temps on his P4. He had a case fan on the side door, and it was blowing OUTWARD instead of INWARD. His stock P4 HSF would rev up to about 4000+RPM to try to compensate; sounded like a vaccum cleaner for real. Once we switched around that fan to blow inward, everything was just fine.

Back