Create LAN over internet?

fastcloud

n00b
Is that possible to link up a pool of workstation spread over the internet and assign a local IP for them? Anyone has such experience?

VPN or Terminal Services/Citrix. Depends on what you want to do.

Thanks dashpuppy and RocketTech. Just did some study on wiki and have basic understanding already. Since the VPN server going to handle the traffic and encryption, does it need to be a powerful workstation? Or cpu alike Intel Q6600 would be enough, assuming that it is going to co-ordinate 10 remote workstation to work with 10 local workstation, with data volume of 30GB daily?

Yeah VPN, have a central VPN server and just have it hand out IPs from the same class and if configured right all VPN members should be able to connect to each other as if they were local.

My guess is the Q6600 should be plenty. Use Open VPN on Linux for best results.

Q6600 is overkill
Pentium III or better is sufficient. Encryption performance depends on type and bit depth of encryption used. You can always get an encryption engine to plug into your server.
pfSense is a great product for what you intend.

my windows server 2008 VPN uses X3330 (~Q9400) for around 100 users and I can tell you it is completely overkill (usage always < 30%)

Back