Creating a Conference Room theater

br0k3nman

Limp Gawd
Conference Room Theater

Goal: Create a viewing area in the conference room that can be used for presentations and demoing of potential artists and music performances. This is at a big and well known preforming arts center (see rich patrons, top hats, operas, and the like. :p )

Qualities Required: The display must be large, bright, and sharp to make viewing both comfortable and accurate. It has to accept a computer input such that a system can be set up with a remote and can be mastered with ease by any person that needs to use it (we're talking business execs, older ladies, etcetc). The system must be able to play DVD’s, VHS tapes (yes, vhs), CD’s, etc. There must be room-filling high def sound that is both clear and accurate. Anyone must be able to go in, throw in a dvd and fire it up. This also must be elegant due to the nature of the environment.

Here's where I need some [H]elp!

1. The budget is about 7,000-10,000 USD. If it's too low, they are suspicious that it sucks, if it's too high, they think we are just getting flashy toys.

2. The room is about 20 x 15. Is well lit and is sound proofed. There is a nook about 4 feet tall and 10 feet wide with a counter where the box, TV, receiver, etc will sit.

3. The techs backstages the run the speaker stacks and audio equipment for a thousand plus patron hall can wire anything and amp anything. We can do some sexay surround sound, but what speakers, sub, receiver?

4. It's going to be a dell computer. It's who we buy systems from, we have gold support, this is just the case. I wish I could do my own build, no dice. It's going to run media center and have a logitech remote (top end). What kind of power will this system need?

2. We need a 40-50 inch plasma/dlp, whatever, I've been looking at the 42in dell plasma. What is a known, good quality display that takes DVI and has excellent warranty support as well as wall mounts.

Help me [H], you are the ones with the power to make an ungodly setup, help me choose!

I have a question. What exactly is the computer for? If it's just for presentations, Windows Media Center isn't necessary. If it will be storing and playing videos, audio files, etc., that's a different story.

-I would go ahead with the Dell Plasma. You have the hookup with them, so use it. I've heard good things about that screen also.

-I'm thinking a P4 540 processor (3.2ghz) or better, since, if you ever wanted to play WMVHD, you need at least a 3.0ghz. Grab a dual core 3.2ghz 840, if budget permits. (again, though, if the PC is only a presentation-viewer, a low end Celeron is fine).

-Are you wanting to play videos from the PC, or only from the DVD player and VHS system? If you want videos on the computer, no hard drive is too big. 250GB at minimum. Otherwise, basically any hard drive is fine.

-Grab 1GB RAM because you can and it's cheap

-Grab a DVD-RW drive because they are cheap too

-The remote is key to the equation for the "user-friendly" aspect of any system. Are you dead-set on the logitech? I would recommend something with a big LCD touchscreen with customized buttons like "Watch DVD" and "Watch VHS tape."

-I would push all my video connections (except the PC) through the receiver, so make sure you get one that can handle component video, and possibly one that upconverts lower-quality video signals (like a VCR) to component. This simplifies the connections to the screen.

I'll leave the "which speakers" and "which receiver" questions to those more knowledgeable about such things than I.

jebo_4jc said:
I have a question. What exactly is the computer for? If it's just for presentations, Windows Media Center isn't necessary. If it will be storing and playing videos, audio files, etc., that's a different story.

-I would go ahead with the Dell Plasma. You have the hookup with them, so use it. I've heard good things about that screen also.

-I'm thinking a P4 540 processor (3.2ghz) or better, since, if you ever wanted to play WMVHD, you need at least a 3.0ghz. Grab a dual core 3.2ghz 840, if budget permits. (again, though, if the PC is only a presentation-viewer, a low end Celeron is fine).

-Are you wanting to play videos from the PC, or only from the DVD player and VHS system? If you want videos on the computer, no hard drive is too big. 250GB at minimum. Otherwise, basically any hard drive is fine.

-Grab 1GB RAM because you can and it's cheap

-Grab a DVD-RW drive because they are cheap too

-The remote is key to the equation for the "user-friendly" aspect of any system. Are you dead-set on the logitech? I would recommend something with a big LCD touchscreen with customized buttons like "Watch DVD" and "Watch VHS tape."

-I would push all my video connections (except the PC) through the receiver, so make sure you get one that can handle component video, and possibly one that upconverts lower-quality video signals (like a VCR) to component. This simplifies the connections to the screen.

I'll leave the "which speakers" and "which receiver" questions to those more knowledgeable about such things than I.

Thanks man, the budget allows for a dualcore 3.2 with 1gb of ram. I want it to be intuitive for say.. an old lady to pick up the remote and thumb to watch dvd, or listen to cd, or watch vhs on the tv screen. She has to be able to pause, stop, ff, etc with ease. Change out to another medium and not have any issues. What remote would you suggest, then I am just going with logitech becasue of compatbility with WMC.

One thing you need to be very careful of is the "unified remote". A very competent person can use one, but the average joe may become VERY confused very quickly. Usually for "confguration" I have recommended a wall mount control to set the room for the desired function and then the a seperate wireless remote if the fuction desires it.

I.E.

If you plan on doing power point then you walk to the wall and hit the "use PC interface" button. It confugres the system to do that function.

If you plan on doing movies then you have another button on the display for that. It also indicates to "get the remote".

Sometimes some degree of "seperation" is the better goal.

Back