Creating the 512 MB 7800 GTX

ATI is apparently very happy with how the R580 is coming along, and it looks as if all production on R520 parts will be halted by December. This means that the final R520 chips off the line will be delivered in a late February timeframe for fulfilling the final orders for the X1800 series. This means that ATI is gearing up for a new product to replace the R520 around that time.

What a short lived generation... All this is personally too fast... way too fast... Oi my head is spinning.

Wow, that was a good read indeed. I think the competition is getting fierce and nvidia shouldn't have a problem going 90Nano but there could be a problem there, and this can all go in ATI's favor if they do have issues. Hopefully things will go well and we'll see yet another competitive year between the 2. If the 90 nano fabrication of the PS3 G71 gpu is any indication of how it's going then it may be another "Nvidia" year in 2006.

So when should we expect the showdown between the 512mb 7800GTX and the X1800XT on hardocp? :)

Edit: Nvmd I should have checked first.

Awesome article, I can't wait to see how this R580 may perform. Better yet, I would definitely like to see the 90nm GTX soon! :D

Nice article. I'm going to skip this refresh and wait for the 700mhz 90nm (Hopefully).

that settles it

I'm going with a 2nd 7800gt (not bad for less than $600 total on my part)

This SLi setup should EASILY hold me over until the prices come down on the 2006 refresh...

That was a damn good read....lets hope ati can give nVidia some compitition...if not..looks like ati will be in a world of shit. ;)

I think they were talking about December of next year.

Can't be talkin about Dec. 06. These things have 6mo cycles... Dec. 06 is 2 cycles away. Not to mention they have good R580's working NOW.

Wow i woulda never thought these companies knew so much about each other. The constant posturing and short term adjustments makes you really look at the big picture.

I think that if NV can get their shimmering and IQ issues resolved they would do much better. They need a much better driver team than what they have now. I'm no big fan of ATI's CCC but at least they put out regular monthly drivers. I wish the competition would drive down the price of the high end GPUs tho... $750 for the 512MB GTX is ridiculous. Unfortunately the etailers are as much to blame for that.

Very nice find there it was very interesting. It looks like its an awesome time to be a gamer...Plenty of awesome news games and such wonderful video cards to play them on.

Bring on the R580 ;)

Im sure everyone wondered at "Winter 05" that was mentioned as if it was a long time ago. Well, I looked at the forums for that site and he said that in the computer business, winter is January-March, Fall is October-December. So winter 05 was 10 months ago.

Just an FYI.

Russ said:
Im sure everyone wondered at "Winter 05" that was mentioned as if it was a long time ago. Well, I looked at the forums for that site and he said that in the computer business, winter is January-March, Fall is October-December. So winter 05 was 10 months ago

Nah...depends on the time of year your starting from. If I was in summer of 2005, and someone said a card was coming out by winter 2005, I would be darn sure it did not mean the previous February or March. On the same token, if they said winter 2006, I would hope it would mean Jan-Feb 2006.

Intel_Hydralisk said:
What a short lived generation... All this is personally too fast... way too fast... Oi my head is spinning.

Well since ati fell way behind this generation to get a chip out it makes sense for them to come out with the more fulfilling refresh, cut there losses and start on getting next-gen out nice and early.

Very cool article. I hope the GTX 512 prices come down sooner than in 4 months though. :D

While nothing concrete is known about the 90 nm refresh of the G70, we can speculate that the product replacing the 7800 GTX will at least reach 550 MHz and that the high end could possibly hit 700 MHz at maximum. NVIDIA will not stop at just clock speed. We can expect that it will have a full 8 quads of pixel shaders, 10 vertex shaders, and 16 “Super” ROPS that will be able to handle the output of those shaders. I have heard rumors that the AA unit will be getting a makeover and it will be able to handle HDR anti-aliasing.

o my god :eek:

hmm.. Maybe ill hope the Crossfire issues are fixed by the time those new cards come out, and wait to buy my desktop parts when the new ATI cards release... unless of course nVidia stays ahead like they have been..

Back