Creative Fatal1ty Keyboard - Good or Bad?

Endrithius

Limp Gawd
So I had a party, and of course people found their way into my room with the computer in it. And an entire Rum and Coke later, my G15 is still operational, however sticky. Im serious - I think you could use this thing for an industrial adhesive. Anyway, I went out to pick up a cheap bypass so that I can finally mod my G15 the way I want it, and found this - http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=493&subcategory=495&product=15332 - and it was 20 bucks so I picked it up. Thats fairly cheap and it's still supposed to be pretty decent. Anyway - the backlight is kinda cool - very smooth and even. I am wondering how they light it? I know it uses Eluminx but I have no idea how that actually works. Anyway - I was wondering what everyone's opinions are.

Let me know guys.

I would guess, looking from the pictures, that it is a painted or coated surface that they hit with LED light (to save power) to get the glow effect. It's definately not EL glow wire, LEDs, or CCFL lighting. It is patented technology though, so they've obviously put some work into developing it.

clean your G15 :D that thing looks kinda tacky IMO... the G15 has a subtle backlight :D

I bought the Eluminx version of that keyboard for my wife about 3 years ago for Christams... it just doesn't have what's his name on it..... It's not really "tacky" at all. It's aluminum and really durable, and the backlighting is very subtle and even. If you like laptop like keyboards this is the one for you... I personally can't stand it but that's just me....

Oh, and I have no idea how the lighting works... if hers ever dies I'll rip it apart and find out;)

I actually own a G15, an EluminX keyboard and the Creative Fatal1ty keyboard. The EluminX version of the keyboard is far superior to the Creative one. For one thing it lights up a deepeer blue and has blue LEDs instead of the green CAPS lock, scroll lock and numlock LEDs. The Fatal1ty keyboard doesn't feel quite as stiff which is a good thing, but I never did like the laptop keyboard feel and thought I use laptops quite a bit I still prefer the feeling of typing on the G15 much better.

I bought this keyboard at Circuit City this weekend, because the box made it look all bright and cool, and when plugging it in, it was about as bright as those cheap glow in the dark stars about 24 hours with no light source activating them.

Everyone in the office agreed - if that's why I bought it (it was) I was ripped off.

There must be other keyboards designed with better back-lighting.

Scott :mad:

The original EluminX keyboards had much better backlighting and the G15 has more useful lighting. You can see the actual numbers and letters on the keyboard in all lighting conditions.

Back lighting on a keyboard...sheesh people learn to type and you will never need to look at the keyboard and much less need lights on the keys

http://www.xoxide.com/das-keyboard-ii.html

it works wonders

Well I don't need the light on the keyboard either, but I like it for asthetic reasons and I am sure others do as well. Though Das Keyboard II with mechanical switches is VERY appealing to me.

Back