Creative X-Fi Titanium HD (Refurb) - $100 shipped @ Creative Amazon Store

Only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have analog 5.1/7.1.

I don't know about "has" but they[Best Buy] definitely had the Titanium HD on a clearance sale for $50 a few months back and they were new in box just never sold well in store. I think I am fine with my x-fi titanium for now until the fatality recon3d goes on a good sale.

AFAIK BestBuy was trying to get rid of its remaining stock when it had that deal. It's not coming back. Criticizing this deal because of that one is like comparing a regular tablet to the HP TouchPad firesale.

Seems like a good price compared to the current competition.

I wonder how "better" audio would sound with these + HD555's... Well, research time.

Only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't have analog 5.1/7.1.

I think I am gonna expound on MavericK96's comment. A friend of mine uses the HD version and I admit is awesome for analog when he is gaming. Only at very high volume levels did I noticed the dreaded "analog hiss" (he uses the 3.5mm jacks). I've tried to talk him into buying a simple solution home receiver (to use the digital RCA COAX connections) but he doesn't really have the budget for it. I'm sure it would sound great. Not sure what others are using for sound / speaker setups, but I've got my 5.2 setup hooked up to a Pioneer Digital Receiver via SPDIF (digital signal). It's "clean" power without the hissing (even at full volume) so it's hard for me (and others out there in gaming land) to go back from DIGITAL to ANALOG. If I had this card, I am sure I would love it. My Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard has the optical out so I just let my Pioneer receiver do the work and decode the signal. Does anyone have this card feeding out to a home receiver? I would be very curious to hear your feedback.

One huge factor to consider is obviously cost. My audio setup.. $1400. This soundcard + really decent analog computer speakers / or gaming headset.. maybe $200.

Last edited:
AFAIK BestBuy was trying to get rid of its remaining stock when it had that deal. It's not coming back. Criticizing this deal because of that one is like comparing a regular tablet to the HP TouchPad firesale.

Not all stores had the deal when it was posted on the various deal sites. Some stores had it more recently, I bought mine like a month ago.

hell of a sound card, i've been very happy with mine. deal is decent. i picked mine up about a year ago new for $135 but that was a somewhat rare deal at the time.

"Sold by Creative Labs, Inc. and Fulfilled by Amazon"

i'd personally have no concern buying this refurb.

Did I miss something, or did Creative stop being a horrible company at some point? I moved from them to Asus, which I can also no longer support due to their horrible drivers. It looks like HT Omega's 200 dollar cards are the only option left.

Creative has gone thru some hell days back in xp and vista but Windows 7 seems it's smooth sailing..so you can give the driver team some cred

Be careful...I have this card and I have problems with the "sound device" disappearing periodically. The only way to fix it is to reinstall the drivers every time it occurs. The problem has to do with using the Titanium HD on a system with an SSD. There's a long forum thread at the Creative site about this problem: LINK. CL has released a beta driver to try and fix this problem. It hasn't fixed it completely for me as I get the missing sound device error occassionally but it's not happening as often as it did before the beta driver. It used to happen 3x a week or more now maybe once a month.

I own this card and use it exclusively for headphones and am happy with it. No hiss and no driver problems with the latest beta. I can confirm, there is a perceivable increase in sound quality over all the other creative cards.

Keep in mind that one cannot use analog speakers while something is plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. There is a physical switch in the jack. If you don't plan to run stereo analog monitors/speakers or headphones 100% of the time, get the STX or look for another solution. Creative sucks. Their drivers suck. Their website sucks. The HD should allow for playback through speakers and/or headphones simultaneously and the headphone jack should have been 1/4 inch. I can't speak for Asus STX as I never played with one, but one day I will try it out.

Be careful...I have this card and I have problems with the "sound device" disappearing periodically. The only way to fix it is to reinstall the drivers every time it occurs. The problem has to do with using the Titanium HD on a system with an SSD. There's a long forum thread at the Creative site about this problem: LINK. CL has released a beta driver to try and fix this problem. It hasn't fixed it completely for me as I get the missing sound device error occassionally but it's not happening as often as it did before the beta driver. It used to happen 3x a week or more now maybe once a month.

don't have this issue, and I do have an SSD and titanium HD, and I use regular driver

Did I miss something, or did Creative stop being a horrible company at some point? I moved from them to Asus, which I can also no longer support due to their horrible drivers. It looks like HT Omega's 200 dollar cards are the only option left.

Lol...Yeah, it seems like all the major sound card players have shitty driver support these days. TBH I never had major issues with either Creative or Asus, and I've used several cards from both.

Its funny because I have never had an issue with my on-board Realtek Drivers, what are they doing right that these discrete card manufactures aren't?

That's too bad, I used to have similar issues with my previous cards. I've had almost every creative card up to this point, spent way too much time getting them working properly and kept coming back to them like an idiot. This is the first creative card that's working as intended and couldn't be happier.

This x10000. While all these 5.1/7.1 soundcards are decent. 2.0 or 2.1 channel audio is where it is at. :D

I dunno...for gaming I would much rather have true surround sound. *shrug*

Same with movie viewing.

Lame, the price shot back up to $140. I've seen this thing brand spanking new go for around that much.

Does this support DD Live! ?

Bit-Tech said:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/soundcards/2011/01/14/creative-x-fi-tianium-hd-review/1

Specifications

Processor Creative X-Fi CA20K2
Memory None
Interface PCI-E
Maximum channels 2 (analogue), 6 (digital pass-through only)
Bit-rate 24-bit
Maximum sample rate 192KHz
Inputs 3.5mm mic, stereo phono line, optical S/PDIF in
Outputs 3.5mm headphone, stereo phono, optical S/PDIF out
Audio technologies Dolby Digital Live, Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DirectSound3D GX 2.5, EAX 2.0&1.0, DirectSound HW, DirectSound SW, A3D 1.0, OpenAL generic modes, 128 3D sounds processing capability (EAX5 software emulation), SoundFont, ASIO 2.0 driver support
Extras 2 x optical S/PDIF lead, 1x dual phono (RCA) to 3.5mm stereo lead, PowerDVD

How is the driver/gaming support? And do they have analog 5.1 out?

I haven't had 1 problem in 3 years and I play everything. I haven't even changed drivers in the last 2 years (release driver had a BSOD problem).

Don't know about analog 5.1 since I don't need it.

Back