Critique my (first!) HTPC build

l3ender

Supreme [H]ardness
There's nothing special or real fancy about this build, but I want a dedicated HTPC with a nice case. Budget is definitely under $500 as I already have a few main parts, and I'm pretty sure I can keep it under $400 as well.

Case/PSU: Antec NSK2480 / 380W PSU
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
CPU: Athlon X2 4850e
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800

Current total: $320

Already have:
-Tuner card: Hauppauge 1600 MCE
-DVD drive/burner
-copy of Vista

Questions:
1) The 780G is more than enough for video out, correct? As in I don't need a video card? I don't have a HD player, but I do have HD movies on my HDD (mostly 720p, a few 1080p) that I'll want to play. Will this handle them ok?
2) Will the CPU be enough for what I'm doing?
3) Will the PSU be enough? I'm pretty sure I want the NSK2480, but I couldn't find it really anywhere else (checked TigerDirect, ClubIT, ZipZoomFly). If someone knows of a deal on it, I'd just pick up a different PSU.
4) I might pick up a different heatsink/fan, but not sure. Does anyone know how the stock cooling is on the 4850e?
5) How will Vista run? With Aero and everything, I mean.

Any and all input would be appreciated!

1. 780G is more than enough
2. Yep fine
3. 380W is plenty. Only reason to get another PSU is if you want something quieter. You can pick up the NSK2480 from Buy.com with the 5% coupon for $107 shipped
4. Scythe Ninja Mini is the HSF of choice since it fits that case just right and can passive cool the 4850e, cutting down on noise.
5. No problems

Personally I would get the the updated GA-MA78GPM-DS2H over the older 780G board.

Toaster Oven summed up everything pretty nicely. I would just add that the Antec EarthWatts PSU that case comes with is actually pretty good and quiet, I'd stick with it unless you want an absolutely silent build.

What are the major differences between the board I'm looking at and the one Toaster Over suggested?

the board toaster oven posted is an ATX board. It won't work in the nsk2480.

Also, depending on when you are going to buy you could wait for frys to get the nsk2480 back in stock. I got mine from them for $95 with 2 day shipping as their regular price.

the board toaster oven posted is an ATX board. It won't work in the nsk2480.

No its a mATX board, its just not mentioned correctly on newegg, however looking at the pics can confirm it immediately.

GA-MA78GPM-DS2H has improved cpu power supply (5 phase versus 4), all solid cap construction instead of partial solid caps, improved NB HS (original one gets really toasty), and 128MB DDR3 Sideport memory (dedicated video mem). Specs on Newegg need to be corrected, it's definitely not an ATX board :rolleyes:

Official specs at Gigabyte.

Back