Crosshair + Seagate + Vista = Noise!

a5i2c

Weaksauce
I am wondering if anyone else has this issue or knows what this is.
I have a dual boot machine. XP and Vista both 32 bit.
Hardware: Asus Crosshair, AMD 6000+, 3 Seagate 250 HDs running in RAID 0 on the onboard Nvidia raid setup

When I use Vista, I get an annoying whistling noise that sounds like it's coming from the hard drives. It gets louder when I run programs to a point where it's rather annoying. When I load up Crysis, it gets even louder like a scraping and high pitch noise and it's clear that it's the hard drives making noise. This is not like a regular hard drive being accessed noise.

When I use XP it operates fine with no issues. I play Crysis on XP with no noise issues.

I have run tests on the drives to see if any are bad but nothing shows up.
I don't think it could be a bad drive because it's only doing this when using Vista.

Anyone?

I had either the same or similar problem with my Crosshair as well. Using a slightly older BIOS revision resolved the issue in XP Pro x64 SP2.

What case do you have? I noticed this high-pitched whine emanating from the front of my PC, next to my harddrives as well... but also on the side where I have a 120mm fan-hole, just above my PSU.

After doing LOTS of painful research I was able to narrow it down to my BIOS Rev (0904 and higher) and PSU.

Here's my setup that is working without the issue:

XP Pro x64 SP2, ASUS Croshair BIOS Rev 0804, Athlon 64 X2 5400+ @ 3.1GHz, 9600GT's in SLI, OCZ GameXstream 700W, K1 KillerNIC, 4GB (2GBx2) GEIL DDR2 800, Two Seagate 320GB HD's in RAID0 + another Seagate 320GB on SATA, Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1, Antec Nine-Hundred case.

I hope this helps.

I wouldn't try the following unless you are absolutely sure this issue applies to you, with the same root-cause outlined above:

If you want to try an older BIOS, you might try that and see if it works. It did for me. Backflashing my BIOS was a pain until I came across a hardforum members post here CLICK HERE over on gamebeat.net; using my USB stick :D

-Z

Wow, thanks for saving me a bunch of time swapping HDs and such.
After reading your post, I took another gander at this sound.

I found that while the hard drives are making noise, the obnoxious high pitch whine IS coming from the power supply. The fan is also spinning faster making the scraping noise.
I originally thought the high pitched noise was an MB chipset problem because I had seen people complain about that with these motherboards. I changed the BIOS many times and it did nothing.
It was really hard to tell where the noise was coming from in the case. So I took everything out and was able to isolate it to the PS.

Thanks

You are welcome a512c,

I remember how much time I spent trying to figure out where that damned HIGH PITCHED WHINE is coming from :p ! Let alone the time it took craaawwllling through ASUS' forums.
Apparently its a "known issue" there.

-Z

Back