Crowdfunded 'Star Trek' Movie Draws Lawsuit from Paramount, CBS

A video isn't a writing. 95 years is not a limited time when it gets extended retroactively ad infinitum every time Disney gives a senator a blowjob. Stop engaging in statist sophistry.

Since video didn't exist when the constitution was written I don't think we can use the bar that it wasn't mentioned so it isn't covered ... all intellectual property (video, audio, literature, art, music, software, etc) can be afforded some level of protection (if the IP owner registers their materials properly) ... with the amount of money involved in the IP industry you can understand why a company might want to extend their protection for as long as possible (but it remains temporary even if it is close to 100 years)

Some of you saying that they HAVE to defend against this because of their copyright, do you not realize that Star Trek has allowed "fan" projects for YEARS and years? Many of which had quite sufficient backing and many of which also had people in them who had also played in the show or been involved with Star Trek in some form?

This series was NOT going to be a "for profit" They were not going to sell it on blu ray or anything, it's going to be a completely free thing thiat anyone can watch and most of them were doing it because they love Star Trek and want to use it as a means to showcase what they can do.

CBS/Paramount will find it harid pressed to defend when they have already allowed so many "fan projects" to be made and have told them as long as it isn't made to make a profit off of.

They only reason they are doing this now is because it looks good enough to make the crappy new Star Treks look bad.

Nope you have that backwards buddy. It was correct the other way. If you have a trademark you have to defend it otherwise you will lose it. That is why you see those see all those lawsuits over names. Now some are way overkill, but something like Bethesda suing Mojang over making a game called Scrolls due to the Elder Scrolls series was something they had to do if they want to keep the trademark for The Elder Scrolls. As soon as you let 1 person get away with misusing your trademark you open the door for everyone to do so as you have shown legal precedent that you don't care if people us it.

It is one thing to do it with permission and no profit and another to do without permission and /or for profit. Small things are what matter in this area

Legal right means you CAN defend against an infringement. Legal obligation means you MUST.

You know there's a reason they are called rights.

My question with all these copyright things... Why in cases like this do the rights holders always wait to sue? I mean, it's like with the stupid kitty song on The Big Bang Theory, they wait until it's been used for years then all the sudden "nope, nope!".

Seems like they've been working on this crowdfunded Star Trek thing for a while now, and only when all the money's been spent and all the hours put in... "nope, nope!"

If you sit around and jerk off while watching something infringing on your copyright there should be a timeframe to complain in. If you just ignore it, you should lose the right in that case.

I want my Star Trek dark..disturbing...foreboding. I want that Alien "feel" to it. No more campy/jolly "here we go on a space adventure folly". No heroic music themes. If Star Trek is going to progress, it needs to change its persona. Make it serious. The Borg episodes came the closest.

Combine the Start Trek theme with a Quake/Doom theme but don't make it too silly gory. Feed in the fear. I want to leave an episode with that heavy dark foreboding feel.

Yup. That is why the Borg episodes were the highest rated. Another dark and highly rated episode was "Yesterday's Enterprise". That episode was extremely popular for much the same reasons as the Borg ones.

You hit the nail right on the head!

I like how "supposed" ST fans in this thread are constantly complaining and comparing the new movies against the older episodic content instead of against the old movies. Because LOGIC.

The new movies were in line with everything the older movies were about and frankly did the best job they have done in years. The previous 4 or 5 ST movies were pretty terrible. If you want to gripe about something episodic related, stick to something comparable like the fact that enterprise and voyager were absolute garbage. I would certainly love to see a new episodic series that went back to TNG level quality, but until that happens the movies served their purpose. They were a typical action based ST where as usual the enterprise got blown up and they generally stuck to the theme of ST with a few omissions.

I want my Star Trek dark..disturbing...foreboding. I want that Alien "feel" to it. No more campy/jolly "here we go on a space adventure folly". No heroic music themes. If Star Trek is going to progress, it needs to change its persona. Make it serious. The Borg episodes came the closest.

Combine the Start Trek theme with a Quake/Doom theme but don't make it too silly gory. Feed in the fear. I want to leave an episode with that heavy dark foreboding feel.

You couldn't be more wrong. Roddenberry's vision was one of hope of mankind evolving into something better,it used a sci-fi setting to address today's social issues and problems and showing we could overcome them. Star Trek is not Doom,even the Borg episodes were a warning against letting technology go too far,of losing our humanity and individuality.

Back