CRT slight brightness problem

Galvin

2[H]4U
The crt I have is a hitachi superscan 813. 21" CRT monitor.

For the last few years the brightness will change. Its very slight but noticable when reading text Its like the brightness is being toned down a few notches then back up.

It doesn't happen every minute but it does happen every day. I know its not the videocard since I've had around 2 cards in the last 2 years. So was wondering if anyone out there knows what the cause could be and is it something I can fix or do I need to take it to get fixed.

thanks

The crt I have is a hitachi superscan 813. 21" CRT monitor.

For the last few years the brightness will change. Its very slight but noticable when reading text Its like the brightness is being toned down a few notches then back up.

It doesn't happen every minute but it does happen every day. I know its not the videocard since I've had around 2 cards in the last 2 years. So was wondering if anyone out there knows what the cause could be and is it something I can fix or do I need to take it to get fixed.

thanks

Maybe that would be the power regulation? Anyway, it's very dangerous to work on such internals within the CRT chassis. There are potentially lethal voltage levels in there even with it unplugged...

It does sound like a power issue. CRT's draw the most power when displaying bright white. Does this tend to happen when you are reading black text on a white background?

I had a hitachi CRT at work for a while. It was the worst CRT I ever used. It is not really woth trying to save it. I would just chuck it and get something else. You will save money in the long run. Once a CRT starts having problems they go down hill rapidly. You fix one thing and something else goes wrong.

Best of luck

Dave

Its more noticable when I have white text on a black background. Like when reading this forum.

Back