CRT to LCD ... 24" (taking the leep)

Coolyou

n00b
I'm overwhelmed by the amount of information an individual can find here, but having a difficult time making a choice. Current setup is a CRT Samsung Syncmaster 753DF / Viewsonic A70f...

Price range for a starter, about $500.

What I'm looking for is a high quality 24" LCD. Displays Text, video & Images well. I'm not a hardcore gamer and have no plans on using a PS3, XBOX or Wii, but do play some PC games, not too often though. I watch movies and documentaries mostly, more so a lot of reading.

Both the G2400W and FHD2400 look great, but would these fill my need? Would anyone have any other suggestions?

I've used the Dell 2407wfp (at work) and have had problems with the monitor displaying blue/red pixel's and a grainy effect, turning the monitor on and off resolved it but usually displays again. I wouldn't suggest the 2407wfp, not a very good movie monitor... to me it seems more of a display than anything else.

Hm. If you don't like strange screen effects, maybe PVA monitors are not ideal. Try a TN model. G2400W may be fine. Just buy it somewhere, where you could exchange the monitor if you don't like it.

I bought a FHD2400. It's a nice monitor but supposedly the burn in is bad, so I'm going to give it a try for a bit then exchange it if it does get bad, but the actually monitor is gorgeous

The red/blue dots are not generally a PVA or MVA problem, so maybe that Dell is defective.

If you are generally watching from a below angle you will want to pivot any TN down as much as possible, as they tend to darken from below. Vertical viewing angles are not a TN strength. Horizontal viewing angles are better than MVA/PVA so from the side they look pretty good.

I would also look at the Samsung 245BW or 2493HM for movie watching, as they are pretty good TN based PC monitors, but not suitable for console use. Neither them nor the BenQ have sparkling/grainy looking panels and the anti-glare is smooth and effective.

I would echo Biges' suggestion that if you can, buy the monitor retail. I tend to worry about getting monitors through mail-order/online as ground shipping can dole out a serious pounding.

Regards,

10e

Just got back from BB. First of all I have to comment on the lack of cleanliness of the monitors and the shelves they have them on... holy dust mites! The screens were not clean and impossible to view properly. Anyhow...

I viewed the FHD2400 the cleanest one there besides the Apple monitors. At first I thought the glossy screen would be a problem, but the monitors I currently have are the same, so I don't think that would be a problem.

I played around with the solid colors and it seems to be a great monitor. Viewing angles did show a change in colors.

Unfortunately, the FHD2400 is the only monitor I can purchase locally, besides the Samsung 2493HM, BB is the only reputable brick and mortar store that sells computers here. Dreadful... but my only option. Downside is tax, If I purchase online I can avoid the taxes, but then if the monitor goes bad I have to pay for the shipping for return.

I like the reviews on the BenQ, but the adjustable stand is lacking.

Anyone know how BB handles returns for monitors? I may go for the FHD2400, just to try it out.

10e, you say Samsung 2493HM, any reason FHD2400 or G2400W/D not be so great with movies?

Edit: after reading more reviews about the FHD2400, I'm leaning towards the G2400W/D, but again... looking for some comments on how movie viewing / reading text is on this one. I like Samsung but...

Just purchased the G2400WD from Newegg.com... .

Pardon me for saying this, but Newegg is the worst place to buy a monitor, because they will not take returns period. I buy a lot of stuff from them, but not monitors. In the future consider Amazon, Costco, Dell, or Crutchfield's, because they have great return policies, and that is the name of the game these days.

By the way; I have a Dell 2407wfp and it does not have the issues you mentioned. The only issue I have is some black crush, which is typical of PVA pannels.

Best of luck with your new display and welcome to the [H]Forum

Dave

Back