crucial ballistix dead

rhexis

[H]ard|Gawd
well i bought 2 kits of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565 about 3 months apart. last night while i was using firefox it crashed to desktop. i thought that was weird as ive never crashed firefox before. so i rebooted and the computer bluescreened while it was loading vista x64. i was tired so i just shut it down and went to bed. this morning before work i fired up the computer and ran memtest. sure as shit i started getting memory errors after 30 seconds. so i know that at least one of the four sticks is bad. im pissed as ive seen a ton of dead sticks from crucial over the last year or so. all 4 sticks were ran at 400 at 1.95v at spd timings. they never got hot to the touch and were well ventilated in an antec 900.

i went ahead and just ordered http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122 to replace my 4 sticks of crucial. my question is are these decent for the price? i will run them at 400 and dont do any heavy overclocking. also if anyone is interested i will sell my 4 sticks of crucial for 40 bucks to anyone that wants them. that is 10 bucks per gig. you would have to figure out which stick is bad and get an rma from crucial for it as i cant be bothered testing these things and i should get my g.skills tomorrow anyway. pm me if anyone wants the sticks.

Can you tell me if your Ballistics have chips on one side of PCB or both sides?
Do they have those clips to hold the heatsink together like the photo on Newegg?

chips on both sides for the older set with clips for the heatsinks. the newer set has single sided chips with the heatsink glued on. i have no idea which stick or sticks have failed and to be honest i dont give a crap my new ram will be here tomorrow thanks to newegg having a warehouse in jersey.

I had 4 sticks of those dimms from crucial and they all failed on me. 1 stick completely died within 2 days and the other 3 started getting memtest errors all within 3 months. Never overclocked them once and kept them nice and cool but they still failed.

I bought the same gskill you bought to replace my ballistix and so far they are running great.

well popped in the g.skill last night after work and im back in business. renesis13b, were the ones that failed the single-sided dimms or the older double sided ones? im tempted to get on the horn with crucial and request my single sided dimms be replaced with the older kind. then of course sell these pos dimms on ebay.

Back