Crucial Ballistix Problem?

PX Vertex

n00b
I upgraded my comp and replaced the cpu, motherboard, memory, and power supply...

however i cant get it to boot now..

Q6600
Abit IP35-E
Crucial Ballistix pc6400 2GB
Antec NeoHE 500

So the problem i'm leaning towards is that the ballistix run at 2.2V and the motherboard isnt giving it enough volts to boot up. I dont have any 1.8V ddr2 laying around so does anything know if the following sounds about right when the ram isnt getting enough juice?

The motherboard indicator lights come on when the power supply is turned on and plugged in... when i hit the power button to turn on the comp the fans spin a little but stop shortly after... once the fans turn off its like it tries to boot again and the fans spin a little bit again and then go off... it just repeats this cycle.

So it could possibly be the cpu, ram, or motherboard causing problems.. anyone happen to know what the problem is?

Thanks

try using just one stick of ram.

i have the same ram you have but haven't put my new system together yet. might do that tomorrow. i've read that they do boot at the default 1.8v just with loose timings, 5-5-5-10. also if one stick doesn't work, try moving it to different slots. clearing cmos doesn't hurt either.

I haven't had this problem with my Ballistix on a IP35-E. They booted fine at 1.8v, at least for long enough for me to change the voltage. And a quick note: To actually give the Ballistix 2.2v, you have to set the BIOS to 2.3v. Otherwise the vDroop will get you.

Try booting up while holding insert, that may let you into BIOS.

well i one stick in the first DIMM and now the fans stay on when i turn it on and it seems normal.

but i still cant get it to post... so since all i did was change the # of memory sticks i had in that was a problem

so if its still the memory would it cause it to not post? The motherboard isnt beeping or anything so i'm hoping it is the memory and nothing is dead.

also, Aon what do you mean by holding the insert? Like holding the stick of ram while its inserted in the DIMM?

well progress again.. now i've gotten the motherboard to start beeping.. so something is still wrong and i'm back to square one.

it could still be either the motherboard, cpu, or memory

sigh

vdroopzd5.gif

BIOS Voltage shows CPU Voltage at 1.525, and RAM Voltage at 1.4. :D Bad PSU or vDroop?

And back on topic. If your Mobo is giving fast beeps, then it's a memory problem. I would swipe any other DDR2 you have and just slap it in and change the RAM Voltage.

I really don't know how your Ballistix isn't even booting at low voltage. :confused:

Sorry if I didn't help.

aight well its all resolved now.

the problem turned out not to be the crucial ballistix. The problem was the DIMM 1 slot. For some reason it would only boot with 1 stick in Dimm 1 because the voltage on the ballistix is supposed to be 2.2 and the mb boots at 1.8 but the dimm slot was bad so that led to the motherboard beeping. I got my friend to bring over a stick of his ram that would boot at low voltage and it booted fine and I changed the vdimm in bios. Windows was only showing 1 gb after I installed it so i switched the sticks to dimm's 2 and 4. Then it recognized 2gb. After that it was all good.. overclocked to 3ghz on stock volts while my friend was still standing there but havent had a chance to see how high it goes b/c if I have to clear cmos I dont think i'll be able to boot up again without his ram.

Well thanks for the help

Still think i might rma the mb though.. even though its up and running fine now

Is there a program that shows mem voltage. I have the Gigabyte prog that came with my board, but I'm sure it's not showing the correct voltage.

Is there a program that shows mem voltage. I have the Gigabyte prog that came with my board, but I'm sure it's not showing the correct voltage.

Any other piece of software would be relying on the same hardware sensor for the data. If you want more accurate data, you would most likely need a digital multimeter (more specifically, it's voltmeter function...but that's the device to look for).

Back