Crucial M4 128GB Raid0 p67 Wow Reads, Blah 4k

avddreamr

Gawd
Mobo:Asus P8P67 Pro 3.1 (latest non beta bios)
Drives: Two Crucial m4 128gb (firmware 0009) connected to intel sata 6 ports (WHITE).
Raid 0 : Stripe 128kb (default).
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 sp1 (fresh install.. updated to the tilt), office 2010, PhotoShop, Acrobat, Chrome.. and codecs + vlc. Nothing else is installed.

Intel RST Raid : 10.6.0.1022
Intel Chipset: 9.2.0.1030

as-ssd-benchWindows7Boot917201112-16-03AM.png

cdm301x64m4128gbR0128kb.png

So what's going on with these 4k reads/writes? Shouldn't they be much higher?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Oh yeah.. currently non overclocked. Everything is stock!

Last edited:
disable c-states for your cpu in your bios, run as-ssd, your 4k will go up. this is at the expense of your cpu never correctly lowering clock speeds during idle, but it will definitely improve your 4k qd1 in the benches at least.

I'll try that.. it's just that the 4k writes appear to be a fraction of what they should be at least in comparison.

Ok... even though i have enable write back cache in windows.. i had to set it in the rst tool box.
Doing so increased 4k writes to 250 mb/s (five fold).
But 4k reads are still hovering around 20 mb/s ... I'm going to experiment with lowering my stripe size, over the weekend and i'll post results.

Your 4k read/write is almost exactly the same that I get on my vertex3s in raid 0.

on an x58 sata 2 port with no writeback cache. why is it so high? 4.2ghz overclock on a 980x with c-states off.

Last edited:
as-ssd-benchWindows7Boot917201112-30-05PMrsttoolboxwritecacheenabled.png

Ran it again... i'll experiment with different stripe sizes.. once I clone this installation.
Again the odd part is that even though I had write back cache enabled via device manager, it was only when i enabled it via rst that it actually showed any change. Essentially I'm basing my disappointment with how this compares with some benchmarks I have seen against c300 128gb in raid.
I'm seeing 4k reads that are on par with my single intel 80gb g2. I'm assuming that i have chosen to large of a stripe size.

@baldrick .. how about your other scores? they should be higher than mine.. and should be ridiculously fast in compressible data. I wanted to get vertex 3/ sandforce.. but when I bought a force gt 120gb and it came doa... I decided to get an m4.

In AS-SSD, my numbers are very similar, but it uses non-compressible data. In ATTO, I get ridiculous number of 1000MB/s+ for both read and write.

I am using 16k as the stripe size for my SSD array and 128k for the strip size on my HDD array. If I recall correctly, you won't see an improvement in 4k speeds with raid 0...the stripe blocks are larger than the files being read.

Back