Crucial M4 256GB SSD - $179.99 + Free Shipping

That kind of goes against everything I've read. :confused:

5-year warranty, toggle NAND, better performance in most benchmarks, more peace of mind? Supposedly Plextor tests/burns in each drive for 20 hours prior to shipping to ensure an annual failure rate of only 0.5%...that's probably up there with the venerable Intel X25-M.

I'm not saying the M4 is a bad drive - far from it. I'm looking at it as a potential purchase along with the Samsung 830 and the Plextor. Just saying that your post seems very pro-M4 without being objective. Do you own one or something?

No I do not own an M4.. What I based my comment on was history.. Plextor in recent years hasn't been the best with post sales support.. Crucial on the other hand has been. Not to mention the metric fuck ton of people that do have the m4 with a very very low failure rate. I learned my lesson about SSD benchmarks from my Vertex 2.. You WILL NOT notice a performance increase between 2 decent drives, what you will notice is the amount of problems you have & how those problems are handled by the manufacturer. Also Crucial has a hell of allot more experience in tweaking the marvell controllers then anyone else at this point & long term reliability of the m3 has yet to be established.

God dammit. (I bit at 209 on previous sales)

I really really really want to, but...can't. Not again. I'm in college and not out of space.

damn, trying to resist. 128gb ssd is just barely squeeking me by...don't NEED this but f....

God dammit. (I bit at 209 on previous sales)

I really really really want to, but...can't. Not again. I'm in college and not out of space.

im with you there, except out of college and have too much money. unfortunately im also out of computers to put SSDs in, so i guess my money will stay in my wallet for now.

damn, trying to resist. 128gb ssd is just barely squeeking me by...don't NEED this but f....

NO! 256GB is SOOOOO much better than 128. put a 128GB in my gaming rig, installed windows and all my programs, TF2, L4D, GTA4, DS1&2, couple more... and i was out! that is not enough games. not to mention skyrim or D3 etc. 256 or bust! :D

(also, they changed the sticker on the new models according to The Spyder, and the new ones look way cooler. :cool:)

No I do not own an M4.. What I based my comment on was history.. Plextor in recent years hasn't been the best with post sales support.. Crucial on the other hand has been. Not to mention the metric fuck ton of people that do have the m4 with a very very low failure rate. I learned my lesson about SSD benchmarks from my Vertex 2.. You WILL NOT notice a performance increase between 2 decent drives, what you will notice is the amount of problems you have & how those problems are handled by the manufacturer. Also Crucial has a hell of allot more experience in tweaking the marvell controllers then anyone else at this point & long term reliability of the m3 has yet to be established.

Very well worded, my friend! I don't disagree with you at all. The M4 is a great drive and VERY few people who purchase one will regret it. I believe that you could buy the Crucial, the Samsung 830, or the Plextor and be happy. All perform more than admirably in benchmarks and real world usage. You're correct in that most people (without doing benchies) will notice any significant difference and that the number of problems, and how they're handled, will impact the user experience greatly. I attribute the greater number of poor M4 reviews to the sheer number of drives sold. Less people probably bought the Plextor, thus fewer complaints.

Like I said in another thread, any of the "big 3" (M4, 830, M3) are most likely going to be fast and reliable. Just go with whatever you're comfortable with.

i hate you
ihateyou ihateyou ihateyou

My C: drive died today and although i probably can't afford it this deal made me bite.

I HATE YOU

but god damnit am i gunna love the shit outta a new ssd, my last one was a ocz agility 2 60gb, and before that a kingston 40gb ssdnow, so this is going to be one hell of an upgrade

that is all

PS. i love the deal, and i thank you very much for posting it

i hate you
ihateyou ihateyou ihateyou

My C: drive died today and although i probably can't afford it this deal made me bite.

I HATE YOU

but god damnit am i gunna love the shit outta a new ssd, my last one was a ocz agility 2 60gb, and before that a kingston 40gb ssdnow, so this is going to be one hell of an upgrade

that is all

PS. i love the deal, and i thank you very much for posting it

Truth.

I ran AS SSD tonight on my X25-M and it didn't even compare to the speeds people are getting with these SATA III SSDs. Keep in mind the X25-M is still a fast drive; it's just behind the times by benchmark standards and space is getting a bit tight. I have no doubt that you will love your new drive. I went with the Plextor M3 for now but would love to pick up an M4 when they achieve $0.50/GB, which by the looks of things won't be long. :)

Dayum! Is it just these M4's that are dropping so quickly, or are other SSD's following suit?

Lots different models have been on sale lately for close to 75¢ / GB, the M4's definitely leading the price war race tho... Probably because it's been out the longest of any current gen drive, after all, it's effectively a reworked C300.

I'm sitting on a 128GB 830 for an OS drive right now, tempted to upgrade but this drive is barely 8 months old and it's not that much of a hassle to shuffle games around with Steam Mover... At least that's what I keep telling myself! :p I'll probably succumb again to the itch once they're 50¢/GB.

Anyone think we'll see a crash at some point and prices will go back up? AFAIK demand's gonna keep rising with the Air & ultrabook's popularity, and they're still developing ever smaller flash...

Last edited:
Are you comparing your 240gb agility 3 with a 128gb C300? Larger drives are almost always faster than smaller drives which may account for some of your difference. Plus the M4 is supposedly much faster than the C300.
I was, yes. If anything, the benchmarks suggested the C300 was faster. That's why I've been underwhelmed with the Agility 3.

Are these your own personal benchmarks? A 240gb agility 3 should be faster than a 128gb C300.

Agility 3 uses Async nand, C300 uses Sync nand. The agility 3 can't handle incompressible data as well as the C300 and most data is incompressible.

Are these your own personal benchmarks? A 240gb agility 3 should be faster than a 128gb C300.
I'm not sure what you mean by personal benchmarks, but I used several of the known SSD utilities out there and compared the results. I used AS SSD and ATTO.

The price on these keeps getting lower and lower. I haven't even installed the one I bought a few weeks ago!

blah. back up to normal prices.

Staples didnt have any in stock yesterday for me to price match and use 30 coupon...

blah. back up to normal prices.

Staples didnt have any in stock yesterday for me to price match and use 30 coupon...

Just be patient. As I've noticed with SSD pricing trends, this $180 sale price will likely be the normal everyday price in about 1-3 months.

Just be patient. As I've noticed with SSD pricing trends, this $180 sale price will likely be the normal everyday price in about 1-3 months.

Word. I'm holding out for lower than that. Hope they get there soon.

I successfully resisted. When 256GB for $150 comes, then I'll buy.

I am thinking that is my next step as well.

While this is a damn good deal for someone needing/wanting an awesome quality 256GB SSD now (even at the $200-220 reg price), I think I'm going to hold out until the 512GB models come down to the $200-220 mark...Wishfully thinking by year end holiday time at this rate, perhaps? :D

Considering the 512s just hit $400 recently and people thought that was an amazing deal, I don't think they're going to go down by another 50% in the next 6 months.

I think $150 for a 256 GB is not unreasonable, though. Ideally I'd like to see $0.50/GB on the larger drives but that might not happen this year.

Yeah I am holding out for a "cant pass" deal on the 512's With as fast as they are dropping I dont see the point in anything less given that my OS & apps fit on a 64, but my games take up another 200gb on my mechanical drive now.

these deals are absolutely insane. 256gb drives are now 50% cheaper than they were 6 months ago.

Yeah, for me I've already got a 160 GB RAID going on, and I would probably use these in another machine if I got a new one, so it'd have to be 160 GB+. 256 GB seems good. :D

Yeah I am holding out for a "cant pass" deal on the 512's With as fast as they are dropping I dont see the point in anything less given that my OS & apps fit on a 64, but my games take up another 200gb on my mechanical drive now.

So get a 256gb that'll fit your games :p.

Awesome deal -- when I can snag a name brand (NOT OCZ) 256 for 150 then I will jump.

I'm going along just fine on my old school 64GB V100 Kingston.

If my alpine PDX5 amp hadn't have just blown up I'd jump all over a deal like this the 180 I was going to spend now gets to go to repairs, grrrr

I said I wouldn't invest in SSDs until they hit 70 cents per gigabyte.

Welp, looks like it's time to invest in SSDs.

inb4 hard drives all over again and these are $300 again by christmas LOL

he probably has 300gb of games and a 256gb M4 would not f it it :cool:

Nah,about 150gb but I thought at one time installing,unistalling etc had some type of negative affect on SSDs.Just wondering if those days are over.

Back