Crysis and Pop ups! Oh my....

KillRoy X

Gawd
Ok, I was going to put this in the main thread, but I thought it would get lost.

As you can see, my PC specs are modest at best, but running at 1152x (whatever) everything on medium but the physics and texture (high) no AA. The game runs 15 to 20. Not bad for my PC. Actually playable.

Liked the demo, but the biggest distraction was the amount of Pop ups. Trees, plants, rocks whatever...it was a massive amount. Most I've seen in a game since Serious Sam Second Encounter.

My question is, does this decrease with the higher settings? Lord I hope so, it was quite painful.

I think thats called level of detail. I dont think it does it on the very high setting but I only get about 5-10 fps so its hard to tell.

Overall Im NOT impressed with the graphics especially below very high setting. Even on very high a lot of the textures like on the rocks and especially that mountain look pretty damn crappy. I even tried turning AF to 16x in the control panel but that made no difference.

dude you only have a 8600gt, it doesnt really help out with that kind of video card if your trying to pump up the graphics and getting 5 frames a second.

Ive been reading thru all the Crysis threads that have popped up over the past few days and this "gripe" seems to be the most consistant that keeps coming up.

People have said that they'll be running thru a scenario and have rocks, bushes, trees etc. just "POP" up a few feet in front of them.

I could be incorrect in this speculation (ive not played), but it seems to me this is the "draw distance" of the game. The game being so very detailed, I think they incorporated this draw distance so short so as not to have "detail" all over the game, just where the player is actually in view of seeing.

People have also mentioned the low low FPS rate within this game. I assume this is due to the HIGH level of detail also. Just imagine the FPS if all of the game remained detailed regardless of where your at?????

Which brings me to my reason for posting....

How detailed does a game "REALLY" need to be?

Do we really need to see the grain of the wood in a tree? Individual leaves? Or, how about grains of sand resting on a rock next to the surf? Sweat dribbling down the face of a guard.

All of those aspects are great to see, for sure.....BUT, in the heat of battle, are you stopping to smell those roses? Probably not. Not to mention as your running for your life...who really cares if there is dust blowing off a rock or not, ehh?

So.....why such emphisis on graphic detail on backgrounds? As stated already....it kills the FPS on the gameplay. FPS dropps too low and you have an unplayable game, right???

How detailed does a game "REALLY" need to be......to be FUN to play?

Take away all that new fangled detail within this game and what do you have???? You have FarCry or any other shoot'em up type of game. Right???

So, what it all boils down to is....we've waited a few years now for this game, yet all it brings us is higher detailed graphics....which in turn, during actual gameplay, those details become ignored and dismissed...heh, which in turn, makes the "WAIT" that we have done....pointless.

IMO, it seems as though they spent too much time on the little details which mean nothing really and should have focused more on the actual gameplay of the game itself...as ive read many posts of people talkin how they feel the game was rush-finished towards the end to meet a deadline and get it on the shelves at stores. Ive also read how there are still bugs within the game.

Going back to my point......

How detailed does a game REALLY need to be?

To end my rant.....Lets look at TF2 for example since most people here at [H] have played it...

Is TF2 "graphically detailed"? No, it is not....albeit the water seems to have some vamped graphics......but far from a game stopper.

Does TF2 have high FPS? Yes, it most certainly does. Fraps gave me a consistant 50-60fps and that was on a 24 person game.

Lag issues? Aside from me forgetting to turn off my SpywareBlocker, I had ZERO lag.

Is TF2 fun to play despite not having detailed graphical eye candy??

FUK YEAH!!!!!! Its hella fun.

Is/was TF2 buggy when released? Id have to say no. The month I have been playing it, ive come across 2 bugs. The Heavy exploit/bug and Spies backstabbing from the front.

This game was completely playable straight outta the box and I didnt have to empty my wallet to get the latest and greatest hardware to run the game.

Does a game have to be highly detailed to be fun? Hell NO!!!

Does a game have to be playable to be fun? Hell YES!!!!

On release of Crysis to the stores....I wont be rushing out to buy it. I'll give it a year and buy it for half cost, cause to me, imo, its only half a game if its not completely playable, so If I want to own it, I should only have to pay half the cost.

Rant over :D

dude you only have a 8600gt, it doesnt really help out with that kind of video card if your trying to pump up the graphics and getting 5 frames a second.
thanks genius but Im not trying to actually play the game on very high. I just put it on that setting to check out the graphics.

My gripe is with stuff that is far away is TOO detailed at times. If LOD was working well, things in the distance that are irrelevant should blend in to look like a background, but even on very high and high, you can see it change suddenly. Basically comes down to why do I need to see individual leaves 30 feet away when they are 30 feet away??? I reduced the LOD in the cfg for the high settings to some lower number, gained a few fps in the process and still couldn't tell the difference from 30 feet. Some of the settings are just arbitrary I think.

I think by the time comes out, a lot of these details will be sorted out, I'm pretty sure that a lot of the "very high" settings are totally indistinguishable and are just excessive, running 19x12 you can see a ridiculous amount of detail that once rendered on screen is unnecessary to be rendered as individual objects.

i'm using just a 8600 GT with 2 gigs 6700 ram and a 1.8 ghz allendale C2D overclocked to 2.5 and i get no popups, no problems at all once i turned off antilasing. i'm not running my settings at Very high either. Just high. And my performance is great.

i'm using just a 8600 GT with 2 gigs 6700 ram and a 1.8 ghz allendale C2D overclocked to 2.5 and i get no popups, no problems at all once i turned off antilasing. i'm not running my settings at Very high either. Just high. And my performance is great.
bullshit. even at 1024x768 if youre running high settings the game will be sluggish quite a bit on an 8600gt. :rolleyes:

also unless you have a "special edition" of the game you are also getting the lod or draw distance change just like everybody else. it just not as bad on high settings.

Belive what you want. But i can tell you i am having no issies at all. dont belive it, then i guess thats your problem.

heres the sum of my measly little system. i'll screenshot my settings for crysis, then i'll post my frames.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/28/2007, 14:02:24
Machine name: GIGABYTE
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/13/07 09:55:22 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 431MB used, 3002MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8600 GT
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402&SUBSYS_40161682&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: SyncMaster 940BW/199BW/941BW, SyncMaster Magic CX915BW(Digital)
Monitor Max Res: 1440,900
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crysis2007-10-2814-18-56-79.png

Crysis2007-10-2814-16-10-04.png

Crysis2007-10-2814-12-15-37.png

Ok, I was going to put this in the main thread, but I thought it would get lost.

As you can see, my PC specs are modest at best, but running at 1152x (whatever) everything on medium but the physics and texture (high) no AA. The game runs 15 to 20. Not bad for my PC. Actually playable.

Liked the demo, but the biggest distraction was the amount of Pop ups. Trees, plants, rocks whatever...it was a massive amount. Most I've seen in a game since Serious Sam Second Encounter.

My question is, does this decrease with the higher settings? Lord I hope so, it was quite painful.

Yes, I hate that too. The way objects pop-up out of thin air is very distracting and extremely amaterish. I'm running it on high and it is still very noticible. It totally destroys the atmosphere. I haven't found a way to eliminate it

thanks genius but Im not trying to actually play the game on very high. I just put it on that setting to check out the graphics.

You'll away get people telling you your gfx card is shit when it's not even relevant to the points you made. I'd take no notice. :rolleyes:

I wonder if the way objects suddenly appear out of nowhere is driver related? I'm using the 169.01 betas. Are you guys running the same?

Checking some of the other game forums random popups seems to be a prevalent issue for many.

ok so 20 to 12 frames per second aint all that great but i have no popups, and i dont notice any frame rate issues unless the cinimatics are playing.

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6218 (English)

Belive what you want. But i can tell you i am having no issies at all. dont belive it, then i guess thats your problem.

heres the sum of my measly little system. i'll screenshot my settings for crysis, then i'll post my frames.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/TumarStormweaver/Crysis%20Screenies/Crysis2007-10-2814-18-56-79.png[/IMG]

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/TumarStormweaver/Crysis%20Screenies/Crysis2007-10-2814-16-10-04.png[/IMG]

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/TumarStormweaver/Crysis%20Screenies/Crysis2007-10-2814-12-15-37.png[/IMG]

17 fps staring at tree and thats your proof? thanks for helping me prove MY point that you cant run the game on high settings on an 8600gt.

ok so 20 to 12 frames per second aint all that great but i have no popups, and i dont notice any frame rate issues unless the cinimatics are playing.
you are getting those whether you notice them or not.

denn you wanna be a prik go ahead... far as i'm concerned it plays fine to me. what say you have a little nicer attitude towards people.

denn you wanna be a prik go ahead... far as i'm concerned it plays fine to me. what say you have a little nicer attitude towards people.
I cant stand when people are full of crap. At least you did actually go and confirm your settings and performance for me. Unfortunately for you, getting 17fps while starring at a tree is not would most people would consider playable.

I cant stand when people are full of crap. At least you did actually go and confirm your settings and performance for me. Unfortunately for you, getting 17fps while starring at a tree is not would most people would consider playable.

In defense of Conano, the motion blur in Crysis helps with lower framerate.

20 fps would be utterly unplayable in BF2 but in Crysis it is somewhat playable.

The motion blur helps smoothen the jerkiness due to lack of fps.

Not to be a prick, but can we have the main purpose of this thread to deal with the pop up issue and not debating over what graphics card had how many frames per second?

thx!;)

Not to be a prick, but can we have the main purpose of this thread to deal with the pop up issue and not debating over what graphics card had how many frames per second?

thx!;)
how can we deal with it? unless you can run the game on high or better its going to be very noticeable.

I think it is the drivers.

I was using 164.71 and the pop up was barely noticeable but with the new 169.1 beta drivers the FPS is up but the pop in is worse.

I was using 164.71 and the pop up was barely noticeable but with the new 169.1 beta drivers the FPS is up but the pop in is worse.
I just dont see what the drivers would have to do with it. If I wasnt so lazy I would try an older driver on the exact same spot in the game and compare them. Getting a good video would probably be nice too.

I may try the 164.71 drivers then and sacrifice at little performance.

I put the 164.71 drivers on and this seems to help with the way objects appear. You still get pop-ups but it somehow seems less noticible. There is a drop in performance though, it's quiet a big drop. Mouse feels a little more, 'laggy'.

I don't have time to mess around with the settings at the moment but maybe look in here:

Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups\sys_spec_ObjectDetail.cfg

If you look in the file you'll see areas numbered 1-4, 1 meaning low settings and 4 very high. The distances below seem to increase upwards with higher settings so I'm assuming you could just manually adjust them to whatever you want. If you're running medium settings just change the ones listed under 2 and you should be able to fix the problem. Just a guess, I haven't actually tried yet though.

I'm assuming you'll be increasing these:
e_view_dist_ratio_detail=30
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation=45
e_view_dist_ratio=60

I've noticed a few pop ups here and there, but that was on high settings where I was getting low framerates, on medium with my framerates up high I don't even notice anything.

I've noticed a few pop ups here and there, but that was on high settings where I was getting low framerates, on medium with my framerates up high I don't even notice anything.
it worse not better on lower settings because much more of the scenery has to pop up.

I think thats called level of detail. I dont think it does it on the very high setting but I only get about 5-10 fps so its hard to tell.

Overall Im NOT impressed with the graphics especially below very high setting. Even on very high a lot of the textures like on the rocks and especially that mountain look pretty damn crappy. I even tried turning AF to 16x in the control panel but that made no difference.

That's object level and shaders. Nothing to do with textures. The shaders are what makes the grainy looking relief on rocks, the mountain (instead of one big blur) and the object level on high controls how close you have to get before it switches from the blurry texture.

You can play this game on low textures w/ high object/shader and everything looks great.

it worse not better on lower settings because much more of the scenery has to pop up.

I know it's definitely there, but I don't really notice if I'm not looking for it, at least when my frames are high anyways.

Kinda got used to it from Oblivion I guess. (Which was 10x worse)

I sense the release date being pushed back...again.

As much as I have really enjoyed the demo, not only is it very poorly optimized (why isn't draw distance adjustable?) but it's very buggy.

The game will be gold when it's patched up. Until then I guess we will have to deal with this crap.

Hey, isn't EA's name on this? :rolleyes:

Yup. Once more EA has Proven they are completely reliable.......

..... in the "scew up a good thing" department.

Back