Crysis performance question.

Supertag

Limp Gawd
What graphics card(s) and CPU can run Crysis and Crysis Warhead at very high / Enthusiast with minimum FPS of 40.

As in , what card(s) are needed to run both of these games at the highest settings with FPS NEVER dropping below 40. Anti-Aliasing would be a bonus , but is not necessary.

edit: Resolution is 1920x1200.

Last edited:
why not take a few minutes and look at the hundreds of video card reviews for yourself?

its pretty hard to NEVER go below 40fps in many modern games even with an i7 and 5870.

Not 5850 and below that's for sure. Mine's still dipping into the 30's.

Crysis is overrated! Doom 1 FTW! But yea, most likely 5870. Id figure the 5850, but I guess not. :O

my settings are medium in 19x12. When I attempt to do high... my system gets very sluggish... im guessing its my C2D and not the graphics.

my settings are medium in 19x12. When I attempt to do high... my system gets very sluggish... im guessing its my C2D and not the graphics.
Nope, it's your graphics card. Crysis is not very quad core optimized at all.

The Radeon HD 5970 does a damn good job in Crysis at that resolution with everything set to their highest settings. Well aside from AA. I haven't used a GTX 480 so I can't commend on that. Not sure about the 5870 either, as I do not have one.

no it cant...

its your graphic card, GTX 295 just not doing well in this game, one major reason why I jump to 5870....
well the gtx295 does better in Crysis than a 5870 from the reviews I have seen. he most certainly should not have to play on medium with that card. hell Crysis is perfectly playable on high with mt gtx260 at 1920.

well the gtx295 does better in Crysis than a 5870 from the reviews I have seen. he most certainly should not have to play on medium with that card. hell Crysis is perfectly playable on high with mt gtx260 at 1920.

no, it does not run better..

in benchmark maybe, but in reality game play NO WAY...
even [H] shows the fps is a lot lower...

you can ask others like pyside or Mr. K6 or any other who upgrade from GTX 295 to 5870..
they will said the same thing as I did..

you can ask others like pyside or Mr. K6 or any other who upgrade from GTX 295 to 5870..
well I dont have the card but yeah every review shows the gtx295 being faster. bit-tech uses a custom time demo and the 5870 is easily beaten by the gtx295. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/09/23/ait-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-review/6

"Crysis has a loving relationship with the GTX 295 though and at 1,920 x 1,200 the Nvidia card was a considerable 10fps faster than the HD 5870"

again something is wrong if he is having to play on medium because even just one gpu of the gtx295 can play this game smooth on high. I have never heard of the gtx295 doing that horribly in Crysis but again I dont have the card.

well I dont have the card but yeah every review shows the gtx295 being faster. bit-tech uses a custom time demo and the 5870 is easily beaten by the gtx295. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/09/23/ait-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-review/6

again something is wrong if he is having to play on medium because even just one gpu of the gtx295 can play this game smooth on high.

they are using High not Very High... which I take that as a condition... don't know how they have such insane high FPS, while in my testing it does not..

and IT STUTTER, especially in Warhead, not acceptable at all...

even [H] review shows 5870 outperform it..
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/18/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5970_video_card_review/5

the only reason why I trust [H] review is because they are always the closet to my gameplay testing, no other review ever get close to it.. NONE... or generally shows some insanely high FPS, like the one you show me...

and yea, putting on medium does seem to be something awkward about it...
not quite sure what he is doing wrong...

you do realize that is BENCHMARK right?

and somehow nVidia can have really high fps that does not even reflect to the actual game....

Meh, my main rig in my sig plays Crysis Warhead just fine @ 1920x1080, most settings on high. Not 40fps min, but perfectly playable.

they are using High not Very High... which I take that as a condition... don't know how they have such insane high FPS, while in my testing it does not..

and IT STUTTER, especially in Warhead, not acceptable at all...

even [H] review shows 5870 outperform it..
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/18/amd_ati_radeon_hd_5970_video_card_review/5

the only reason why I trust [H] review is because they are always the closet to my gameplay testing, no other review ever get close to it.. NONE... or generally shows some insanely high FPS, like the one you show me...

and yea, putting on medium does seem to be something awkward about it...
not quite sure what he is doing wrong...
yeah I know that review is for high but thats what the guy said he was having trouble with. thanks for the link to gtx295 because I was trying to find it being compared to the 5870 on H but couldnt find it. it certainly doesnt look good in real gameplay.

Your best bet it to get a dual core and over clock it to 5 or 6 Ghz, and run it in tandem with a hex core. Other than that there is no way to run Crysis.

The Radeon HD 5970 does a damn good job in Crysis at that resolution with everything set to their highest settings. Well aside from AA. I haven't used a GTX 480 so I can't commend on that. Not sure about the 5870 either, as I do not have one.

5870 @ 900mhz 1920 by 1200 on my system and it can play very high with no AA but I still prefer high settings as I like the 40 to 50 range (I am am unusually sensitive to motion lag) and do not like dropping below 35 if I can help it.

I went from a 295 to a 5870 and here is what I have to say: The 295 gives you slightly higher framerates, but the game play overall is not as smooth as the 5870 even tho that card gives you slightly less FPS overall.

I went from a 295 to a 5870 and here is what I have to say: The 295 gives you slightly higher framerates, but the game play overall is not as smooth as the 5870 even tho that card gives you slightly less FPS overall.

uh... in none battle scene yes, but in battle scene the FPS for 295 decrease down to 10-20ish A LOT.....

especially the train part, which is horrible and unacceptable....

uh... in none battle scene yes, but in battle scene the FPS for 295 decrease down to 10-20ish A LOT.....

especially the train part, which is horrible and unacceptable....

I finished the game like nearly 2 years ago so I can't remember which scenes exactly are really taxing. My runs on the 5870 was just general benching to compare frames per sec between the two cards. Otherwise no game play testing was done - Crysis is one of those games where you just beat it once and you don't bother playing again.

you mean 40fps max?

its impossible for last generation to keep that fps...

Last generation yes but it's a fast system dedicated strictly to gaming. Study my sig in detail. Look at the overclocks. Runs Crysis maxed at 2048 x 1536 with insane amounts of AA and very seldom drops below 30 fps. I'm very happy with this build. Great to game on. I'll be skipping 480 series as I don't see how I'd be getting much return for the $$$.

I finished the game like nearly 2 years ago so I can't remember which scenes exactly are really taxing. My runs on the 5870 was just general benching to compare frames per sec between the two cards. Otherwise no game play testing was done - Crysis is one of those games where you just beat it once and you don't bother playing again.

the ice level is the worst. but true that. hell I was not exactly inspired to finish the damn thing. now if they redid COD4 in that engine

Last generation yes but it's a fast system dedicated strictly to gaming. Study my sig in detail. Look at the overclocks. Runs Crysis maxed at 2048 x 1536 with insane amounts of AA and very seldom drops below 30 fps. I'm very happy with this build. Great to game on. I'll be skipping 480 series as I don't see how I'd be getting much return for the $$$.

Your sig says your running XP, so no DX10. You are not playing at highest settings

not quite sure how exactly you keep 30fps in that resolution with that setting, even 5870CF can barely do that....
while this game is ATI flavor on max setting......

well I dont have the card but yeah every

review shows the gtx295 being faster. bit-tech uses a custom time demo and

the 5870 is easily beaten by the gtx295. http://www.bit- tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/09/23/ait-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-review/6

"Crysis has a loving relationship with the GTX 295 though and at 1,920 x

1,200 the Nvidia card was a considerable 10fps faster than the HD 5870"

again something is wrong if he is having to play on medium because even

just one gpu of the gtx295 can play this game smooth on high. I have never

heard of the gtx295 doing that horribly in Crysis but again I dont have the

card.
Not picking on anyone here,just comparing a 5850 bench against 295 bench that was posted.

Now I am neither a ATI or Nvidia guy but I
have a 5850 here and overclocked it which everyone should do when testing Crysis of course.
I picked the same settings as in the review that was posted and well people
can decide for themself whats better.

I pick 5850 ,looks like its kicking 295 ass,also I checked some 480 GTX benches,for now 5850 ATI is also faster.LOL not trying to start flame war,just pointing out what I see.
I also will have 480 TRISLI when or if they ever arrive at my place,so drivers better be fixed by then.

Control to make sure AF was working .

Crysis 1680x1050 High settings 5850OC 951/1243

0AA 0AF
Min=54.24
Avg=90.74
Max=115.26

4AA 0AF
Min=42.94
Avg=76.00
Max=94.72

On to same benches as review

Crysis 1680x1050 High settings

Code:
5850 OC                                      GTX295 REview
0AA 16AF                                       0AA 16AF
Min=34.93                                      Min=44.00
Avg=81.715                                     Avg=73.00
Max=113.43                                     Max=

5850 OC                                       GTX295 REview
4AA 16AF                                        4AA 16AF 
Min=39.46                                       Min=40.00
Avg=67.665                                      Avg=62.00
Max=92.52                                       Max=

My Bench

Crysis 1920x1200 High settings

Code:
5850 OC                                        GTX295 REview
0AA 16AF                                         0AA 16AF
Min=40.37                                        Min=38.00
Avg=73.535                                       Avg=61.00
Max=94.29                                        Max=

5850 OC                                        GTX295 REview
4AA 16AF                                         4AA 16AF 
Min=32.77                                        Min=32.00
Avg=60.85                                        Avg=51.00
Max=92.52                                        Max=

My Bench

Crysis 2560x1600 High settings

Code:
0AA 16AF                                         0AA 16AF
Min=35.97                                        Min=22.00
Avg=47.81                                        Avg=37.00
Max=58.78                                        Max=

4AA 16AF                                         4AA 16AF 
Min=4.69                                         Min=15.00
Avg=37.435                                       Avg=29.00
Max=46.30                                        Max=

My Bench

Your sig says your running XP, so no DX10. You are not playing at highest settings

Yes, that is technically accurate. However, I run Crysis with a hack that replaces some game files with ones that allow "Very High" in game settings. Been so long now since I did it that I don't remember the exact details and don't feel like taking the time to dig up a link. You could Google it if you're interested. Those files are commonly available.
It's true I'm running DX-9, not DX10 but I am running "Very High" in game graphics settings.
Crysis is a TWIMTBP title. Maybe that helps.
To the O.P. My experience is as stated in my post above. I suspect, now that Fermi is here, a lot of used GTX-285's might be hitting the market. Will a pair of them with clocks somewhat similar to mine, (run in SLI) meet your goal? In my system they do.

Yes, that is technically accurate. However, I run Crysis with a hack that replaces some game files with ones that allow "Very High" in game settings. Been so long now since I did it that I don't remember the exact details and don't feel like taking the time to dig up a link. You could Google it if you're interested. Those files are commonly available.
It's true I'm running DX-9, not DX10 but I am running "Very High" in game graphics settings.
Crysis is a TWIMTBP title. Maybe that helps.
To the O.P. My experience is as stated in my post above. I suspect, now that Fermi is here, a lot of used GTX-285's might be hitting the market. Will a pair of them with clocks somewhat similar to mine, (run in SLI) meet your goal? In my system they do.

no, even if you force Very High, the DX10 effect is the one that takes the performance hit, and you are missing all DX10 effect..

and no, its TWIMTBP but does not mean nVidia runs better.. you can look up some actual gameplay review and it will shows ATI have some clear win on very high setting..

and no, its TWIMTBP but does not mean nVidia runs better.. you can look up some actual gameplay review and it will shows ATI have some clear win on very high setting..

Damn this ATI vs. Nvidia stuff is hilarious. Look, my comments have had absolutely nothing to do with "who wins and who loses". The O.P. never asked who wins, who loses.
I'm just trying to help the guy out.

Back