Crytek Cryengine2 GDC 07 Demo-What hardware

Blackstone

2[H]4U
I was wondering if anyone knows what hardware Crytek was using to demonstrate Crysis as GDC 07. The demo videos are pretty incredible.

TRS-80 Model 3 - with the 5.25" drives!

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if it was an extremely powerful setup - running a demo of a game thats not optimized yet but is as beautiful as its capable of being they would have needed as much horsepower as possible.

It is a safe bet to say G80 series, what exactly, I do not know. I would guess at least a single 8800 GTX, if not 8800 GTX SLI

CPU would either be C2D or C2 Quad, which one I do not know.

I hear it was ran on a TI-84 calculator and it runs Pimp Wars as well....

Anyway you got to think they were at least running at 1900x1200 res so quad core cpu overclocked and 2 8800gtx wouldn't seem to out of line. The code is pretty optimized already so I would assume they used such a high end setup to make absolutely sure it wouldn't stutter like it did at the last convention. Since it's optimized for more cpu's I am sure it's not the actual cpu speed that it needed to run but just the multiple lanes.

I was wondering if anyone knows what hardware Crytek was using to demonstrate Crysis as GDC 07. The demo videos are pretty incredible.

I asked if anyone knew what the hardware was. I didn't ask for smartass comments and speculation, and that is pretty much all I got. Trolls! :mad:

quick answer no. The speculation is common since right now, it's the best out there--quad core w/possible SLI. But I also heard that you'll be able to play it on less powerful machines because it will be optimized to play in Dx9/10 but being really intended for dx10. You can bet, you'll be able to play it on a midend machine with everything on med-high and it will still look good.

hope u understood what I mean, cuz i just reread it and well.... :)

Well if it was Demo'd on Vista we know for sure that it wasn't using SLI as it would be slower than just the single card with the current state of the drivers.

quick answer no. The speculation is common since right now, it's the best out there--quad core w/possible SLI. But I also heard that you'll be able to play it on less powerful machines because it will be optimized to play in Dx9/10 but being really intended for dx10. You can bet, you'll be able to play it on a midend machine with everything on med-high and it will still look good.

hope u understood what I mean, cuz i just reread it and well.... :)

Fair enough. I agree the quad core/ 8800 sli setup is the most likely one since that is the best there is. I want to be able to play the game at 1680 x 1050 4xaa 8xaf, so I'm wondering what it would take to do that.

Crysis team had stuff that hasnt been released to the public.(you realize I'm kidding,right???)

The game is so powerful, there is no hardware capable.

Come on, they would use the best stuff available to them. They need the ooooo and ahhhh factor to sell the game and make most of us think we can run it. Most likely since its DX10 and the only card around is the 8800 thats what they used, one or two of them, most likely two,top of the line, and a big ass CPU.:eek:

Crysis team had stuff that hasnt been released to the public.

The game is so powerful, there is no hardware capable.

Come on, they would use the best stuff available to them. They need the ooooo and ahhhh factor to sell the game and make most of us think we can run it. Most likely since its DX10 and the only card around is the 8800 thats what they used, one or two of them, most likely two,top of the line, and a big ass CPU.:eek:

I think they probably used quad core but I imagine everything they showed totally possible on a Core2Duo. I have a hard time believing this game needs 4 cores.

I think the oooo and ahhh analysis makes sense except for the fact that, as mentioned above, SLI drivers for Vista are terrible and being able to run a game well without SLI is something to ooo and ahh about as well. Also, the demonstrator commented at various times at how good the frame rates were, and I think if you are trying to show off a game engine and how powerful it is, you don't necessarily comment on frame rates if you are running SLI. Frame rates would be a given at that point. Also, SLI seems to be more important for ultra high resolutions, and the demo I'm talking about was shown on a normal PC display.

Im betting they ran g80 refresh or r600. I remember when doom 3 was shown off, it was on a as of then unreleased r300 (9700 pro).

i would have to say the minimum that they were using was Vista x64 with a Core 2 duo 2-4 gigs of ram and a 8800GTX.

I have insider info, and I'm 100% certain the demos ran on an abacus and two hamster wheels in SLI.

game demos are really frustrating now-a-days

its either CG and not real game or its stuff that most of us can't buy for a while. Go figure that's marketing for you. Crysis probably has an inside deal with nvidia to boot gpu sales and get a commission

sli or just a single?

Fair enough. I agree the quad core/ 8800 sli setup is the most likely one since that is the best there is. I want to be able to play the game at 1680 x 1050 4xaa 8xaf, so I'm wondering what it would take to do that.

I think to play this game at the res, which isn't too bad is a g80 (dare is say 320?) w/2g ram and cd2 or quad. Suffice to say, there's many configs that'll work at that res, it really depends on the previews as we get closer to lauch to give the BEST idea of what will be needed. Mind you, r600 and nvidia's latest will also be out then too!

I saw the original demo a while back and it looked like it was just ludicrous, like it'd be a slide show on anything I've ever seen in person.

Sadly, my current state of [H]ness has been destroyed since my cash flow is miniscule. I have resorted to bargain bin floaters... You know life would be great if money weren't involved =P

Well if it was Demo'd on Vista we know for sure that it wasn't using SLI as it would be slower than just the single card with the current state of the drivers.

Well if it was using the feature of DX10 is has to be on vista, so it may of only been running on a single card

i believe a single GTS 640 should be more then enough to run at 1280*1024 at high res ( if this card doesn't, crysis will sell poorly..
do you think people want to play games at 800*600 or 1024*768 now?

i think a 8800GTX should be more then enough to go 1680*1050 at high setting

Maybe not people who surf this forum, but the average person who picks up a game to play it probably doesn't care.

Care and know are 2 different things. If the settings to make a game look better were fairly accessible (easy to understand) to the average gamer, they'd care. No one likes jaggies or their eyes to hurt.

Back