CS:S available tomorrow(thurs) to buy

:eek:

I was expecting that the broze would be 29.99, silver 49.99, and CE 69.99 but nooo.....

:( Sorry but I am going to wait until November 26th until I purchase HL-2 because of this

So for anyone with the ATI/Halflife 2 offer they'd be retarded not to turn their coupon in and get the Gold for $40.00 then.

anyone who knows economics knows that there is no advantage to having the ATI coupon and adding $40 for the gold or just paying $90 for the gold. That coupon is worth $50. Exactly $50. No more, no less.

* man, economics is really getting to me this semester *

I do not plan on getting it tomorrow. I'll wait until its on shelves.. God knows I would kill myself if I logged into CS:S and saw the l33tz0rz lurking there.

strumbum said:
anyone who knows economics knows that there is no advantage to having the ATI coupon and adding $40 for the gold or just paying $90 for the gold. That coupon is worth $50. Exactly $50. No more, no less.

* man, economics is really getting to me this semester *

I guess you lost me. I was under the impression you culd take that $50.00 coupon and turn it in (get credit for the $50.00) and put that credit towards the other options available.

I was under the impress that you could upgrade if you had the ATI voucher. I think even Gabe said this.

Hahahahaha pay $90 for a game that uses that pile of shit Steam?

Yeah when pigs fly :rolleyes:

Silver is looking good for ATI holder's. Throw down $10, and get a few more games plus the HL1: Source port.

Not sure what I plan on doing, throwin' down for gold is tempting as it is only $40 for me (ATI coupon)

Hahahaha, a Half-Life 2 hat.... who would wear a HalflLife 2 hat?

But besides that, I think I'm going to buy the silver package and play though HL1: Source then go on to HL2.

i want to play cs:s but i dont want to buy it from steam. I guess I'll just wait till hl2 is out in stores, im sick of cs:s at the moment anyway (from the beta)

So... I'm paying $50 for software that I'll never physically hold in my hands why? I don't get it... I'd pay $39.99 or something for HL2 over source. I'd pay less because there's no middle man, they get more because there's no middle man, no packaging, no CD's.

No thanks. I'll wait til Fry's gets it, buy it for $35 or $45 since they always have stuff $10-15 cheaper the first week its out.

And why do you get a collector's box in the gold edition? :D To put the printout of the $90 charge in?

Yeah it being over steam why is it soo high? I remeber I bought CZ over steam because it was 10 less than retail. Oh well Valve is sure screwing us with this one. IMHO Valve should lower the prices by $10 for all packages. This will get people to buy over steam (less piracy) and they would sell a heck alot more as well.

The boys and girls at Valve must be smoking something really good.
Why pay $50 for a game that you can not play right now, and might even get delayed because of Valve and Vivendi' s p*ssing contest.
No thanks, I will wait for the boxed version. Heck where is the discount buying through steam.
Valve has lost alot of credibility lately...

I bet Fry's will have the game for $35 or $40.

Ok, the prices are ridiculous IMO, but anyways...

If / when it is released in stores, and you buy it, and register it with steam, what will you get? Bronze or Silver? Or will there be two different boxed versions you can buy, either bronze or silver in a box? I was hoping to get the Silver package, but I am not paying $60 for it...

they are not going to sell it any cheaper becuase of the shit with Vivendi. Think about how more crap vivendi will give valve if they are offering it cheaper. We may never see the release then. The "insintive" to get it through steam is that you get to play cs/s right away. I understand why valve is doing this, as much as i would love it to be cheaper. I imagine they are just trying to keep the peace.

JEEVES

So... I'm paying $50 for software that I'll never physically hold in my hands why? I don't get it... I'd pay $39.99 or something for HL2 over source. I'd pay less because there's no middle man, they get more because there's no middle man, no packaging, no CD's.

He speaks the truth. Valve is cashing in big time with steam. You get nothing to hold in hand besides a bunch of trinkets that should be thrown in anyway.

Hat? Big deal no one is going to wear it.
Strategy Guide? Look online people post that stuff everywhere.
Posters? My wife would love those in the house.
Collectors box? More clutter.
Post cards? Please.
Stickers? Useless.
Music CD? Should come with it anyway.
Win a trip to Valve? They will most likely keep postponing it until you did not even care to go anymore. Kind of like this game.

The Gold edition is a damn joke. For myself I want the game not a bunch of shelf clutter. I am an adult, not some teenager who is going to put the stickers on his locker or mail his friends the post cards. For gods sake Valve get with it and just release the damn game. You want a special edition. Put the thing out on DVD instead of a pile of cd's. Now that I would go for.

I can understand them not releasing Half-Life 2 tomorrow along with CS:S but I believe they should release Half-Life: Source early for those that want to go through the original before playing HL2. I have yet to play more than 10 minutes of the original Half-Life...

So wait, you can buy HL2 tomorrow, but you won't be able to play it for nearly 2 months?

I think this further cements my idea that the Valve marketing director is actually a group of monkeys.

Who don't work well together.

And have mental diseases.

...and who weren't that bright to begin with.

I think a $10 downpayment over Steam would have been a better idea. That would allow you to play CS:S and then when HL2 is released you're billed for the full amount.

If you've never played through HL1 and/or don't own HL at all then the silver package isn't too bad of a deal. It will give you HL1 + access to mods for it and DoD:Source (whenever that'll be released) in addition to the bronze package. $60 is becoming the standard price for a game now. The bronze package is the most you should need if you already have HL or don't care about it and $50 is a pretty acceptable price. The gold package is just stupid.

well they were originally talking about the monthly option, where you pay like a mmorpg, but you get all content valve releases. maybe they are going to wait till they have a bunch of things out before they offer that deal though

finalgt said:
So wait, you can buy HL2 tomorrow, but you won't be able to play it for nearly 2 months?

I think this further cements my idea that the Valve marketing director is actually a group of monkeys.

Who don't work well together.

And have mental diseases.

...and who weren't that bright to begin with.

Well that is the same principle as pre-ordering games.
Why do you sound so offended?
Never heard of preordering games before?

Well that is the same principle as pre-ordering games.
Why do you sound so offended?
Never heard of preordering games before?

Since when do you get charged full price up front to preorder a game?

Heard of it yes I have but..... preordering didn't mean we had to pay full up front.

I could care less about cds or a box, I actually prefer dloading, but $50 is insane. Printing, distribution, and advertising is half the battle, that is all absent with the steam version.

why is there so much hostility towards valve. downloading games off the internet is obviously the way of the future. if you dont want to buy it off steam then dont and quit criticizing valve. you guys act as if these people killed your family everyone just settle down and then be happy when hl2 comes out and hopefully it will be awesome and you will forget about this.

Arkanian said:
:eek:

I was expecting that the broze would be 29.99, silver 49.99, and CE 69.99 but nooo.....

:( Sorry but I am going to wait until November 26th until I purchase HL-2 because of this

HaHa 29.99 for HL2 and CS:S your full of it buddy.

You guy's need to quit crying. If you don't like it...don't buy it off steam, wait for the retail. Its as simple as that.

Given their track record you'd have to be nuts to buy the game before you can play it.

Hey lemme guess, it got delayed for another 2 years?

And who would pay $40 for this shit?
Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life 1: Source*
Day of Defeat: Source*
Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
Complete Half-Life 2 Strategy Guide from Prima Games
3 different Half-Life 2 posters
Half-Life Collector's box
Half-Life 2 hat
Half-Life 2 postcard
Half-Life 2 stickers
Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).

This game is going to suck... mark my words. S U C K

I am an adult, not some teenager who is going to put the stickers on his locker or mail his friends the post cards.

I can't think of a single teenager that would do that anyways. I'm pretty sure that would result in an ass-kicking for being such a tool.

Since when do you get charged full price up front to preorder a game?

Since when have you received a large piece of the product just for preordering a game?

Many people will be buying HL2 just for CS:S just like they did with the original versions of each.

By the way, I'm not defending Vivendi/Valve. Having MSRP on something that isn't going to be physically manufactured/shipped is ridiculous.

putting hl2 stickers on your hl2 hat is the epitome of cool..

really though i think a hl2 hat would be neat, my afros out of control anyway.. i wouldn't care what people thought, i like what i like.

If they threw in a Gauss Gun, then perhaps maybe...just maybe...

Seriously if there is a benefit of buying the game through steam, whether it be cheaper come
with extra junk and be released earlier, I would do it, if it also meant that I could also be
able to burn the game plus mods to disk, and not have to be leashed to the Steam Client in
order to play a game.

Just one more reason to respect Id.

you can burn the steam files to cds/dvds. its perfectly legal according to valve.

i say steam is better then getting a hard copy

granted i like my boxes and cd/dvd's but do i like carying all thouse cd/dvd's to firends houses so i can install on there computer if it was better then mine not relly cuz then they have a copy of the game i payed $40+ for + the cd key

with steam u register the game once with your account just once thats it and u have it for the rest of your life so long as u rember your password

go over to a friends house download and install steam sign into your account and u download your games again easy as that

there is nothing wrong with steam granted they have a few network issues here and there but i can deal with that why cant everyone else?

Wow, you guys really have it in for them now. The Silver package is a great deal... though I guess moreso with the retail. But you do get CS:S sooner, thought you guys would be chomping at the bit for it. A remade original with the sequel for $10 bucks more!?!.... I mean damn thats hot. Gold is riduculously priced for me. But so what, yeah, I don't want that stuff *shrugs*. Nothing is left out of the silver other than a pile of crap. Don't buy it. I'm not.

I'm impressed by the silver package. Only thing I can see being made into a big deal is that there is no discount for steam. But that would surely piss off vivendi. I think early release of CS:S would piss off you guys still if you worked for vivendi, and then you'd actually be complaining about something. :rolleyes: They are probably putting their balls out there to get kicked as it is. You guys want everything... well then the game really will never come out due to legal trouble if valve gives you your rediculous $20 off figure, all the ports and CS early... I mean are you guys serious? Once you've already gone through tthe trouble of making cover art, a gold copy and such, how much do you guys really think that shit is worth!? Maybe without the vivendi mess you would save a couple of bucks but that's it.... and that's just not the cards valve has been dealt.

You'll still buy the game seeing as how it changes your attitude from mild manner computer geeks or gamers into rabid dogs pissed at the world. The prices for Bronze is what every game costs and does not include the $5 experiment fee doom had tacked on (the industry is starting in a trend to ask for more - games were $50 when I was a kid a dozen years ago - valve gets kudos here), the silver is a steal, the over-priced edition is not needed for anything.... so that leaves us with a missing couple of buck savings probably due to red tape. I think your all pissed because you want the boxed version, and to play CS:S right now. Again, you want everything. Maybe they should hand out CS:S discs for every schmuck that puts $5 down at EB and preorders the game. They cant put CS:S in the current non-existant box, maybe they should give it to you if you promise to buy the game :rolleyes:

PLANT said:
I could care less about cds or a box, I actually prefer dloading, but $50 is insane. Printing, distribution, and advertising is half the battle, that is all absent with the steam version.

Ah, but now they have a HUGE amount of bandwidth costs to worry about. I've actually enjoyed Steam so far, and think it is a great way for distributors to get games out to us.

Some people just don't fscking get it.

As mentioned before Valve is charging same as retail for Bronze so that they do not screw up retailers and piss off the business side.

As for the people that say shit like:
So... I'm paying $50 for software that I'll never physically hold in my hands why?

Bet you have no problem d/ling stuff for free (legal and illegal downloads). The problem is you don't relate software as a tangible product. Well it is, and get used to it. Valve is changing the way PC games will be delivered to consumers. It is an improvement. Less trash/waste from packaging, less fuels used to deliver content, and consumers can get it as soon as software is released.

what's hl1:source all about? does it add anything new?
i don't really see myself buying anything but the bronze so i can get cs:s and play a bit of hl2...

Back