CS Source Problem

Barnaby

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey for those of you you have CS Source, have you ever had a problem when the game will just freeze (even when nothing intensive is going on), then after say about 10 seconds or so, it will unfreeze. When it comes back though, it shows all the items you have on the right side of the screen as if you just bought them again..

If it wasn't for that, I'd think I was having some kind of heat related issue, or some other instability.. but it definately seems more game related than anything else.. I have no other problems with any other game.. and so far I've only seen this happen when playing office.. granted I spend most of my time on a 24/7 office server, but when I do go to other servers, and play other maps, I haven't seen this happen.. even when playing office on another server..

it's pretty random, and I can't duplicate it..

I've run numerous stress tests on my rig, and haven't had any problems. rthdribl runs no problems at all, and all other games have been solid.. even HL2 ran without a hitch.. just CS has had this happen..

if it helps, I listed my specs at the bottom..

I'm running WinXP SP2 on it, using the 5.10 chipset drivers, and the 67.03 vid card drivers..

I'm running CS:Source @ 1280x1024 with every setting on High, Reflect World, and 4x AA/8x AF..

My framerates are good, and my temps and voltages are definately above par..

When this does happens, it's almost like the server got hit with some system lag, and the game has a problem recovering.. last time it did happen, I asked if anyone had any lag just then, and a few ppl did.. thoughts on this one?

MSI K8N Neo2 (1.4 official bios)
A64 3500+ Newcastle w/ Swiftech MCX-6400V
1 Gb OCZ PC-3200 Platinum Rev 2
Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample (running @ ultra speeds)
Audigy 2 ZS
PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe
Hitachi 7k250 80Gb SATA HDD
2x WD WD800JD 80Gb SATA HDD in RAID 1
Lite-On 52x32x52 CDRW
NEC ND-3500 16x DVD Burner
Lian-Li PC-65
6 80mm fans on a Fanbus (4 Blue quad led)
Dual 12inch Blue Cold Cathodes
Matrix Orbital 20x2 USB LCD Display mounted in top 5 1/4 bay
Creative Inspire 7700 7.1 speakers
All cables either rounded or sleeved
19inch and 17inch CRT Monitors (ones a Mag and the other a Dell.. need some dual Dell 19inch LCD's)
Razor Diamondback 1600 DPI mouse
Icemat Rev2
Saitek Gamer's Keyboard

I've had that problem (although it doesnt last as long as your's does). Its called the studder bug and it plagues the nVidia cards. It all boils down to waiting for value to release a patch.

hmm.. haven't heard of that.. does this only happen in CS:Source? I never had it happen in HL2 at all.. Course I was plagued by the sound stuttering issue, and I finished the game before they released the 2nd patch to address that.. played it a few times since then, and that finally seemed to be ok..

Is there any more info on the studder bug?

and to point out, this is not the audio stutter, but a definate freezing of the whole game...

Dunno, I have the apg 6600gt w/ 2800xp 32-bit and 1024 ram

The most of a studder I ever get is a second or two, most definitely not 10 seconds. Is it the server you are on? Ping issues? Perhaps the server's CPU/Ram. Sadly the pirated version of CS:S is reported to not have this problem.

I typically get like 40-60ms ping on this server, and I can't say I've noticed any spikes.. It's almost like the game hangs waiting on info from the server, and my system takes awhile to recover.. but it's obviously not happening for everyone, as I will wind up dead half the time this happens..

the first few times it happened I seriously though my vid card was to blame, but since I haven't had any problems anywhere else, I kinda doubt it.. if it is vid card related, I still have some warranty left on it, so it'd be nice to pin that down and get a replacement before I can't..

But as soon as my warranty expires, I think I'll throw a NV 5 silencer on it, and get rid of gainward's solution.. damn thing is alittle loud at full tilt..

I've had this a few times on my 9500pro. But it seems more like a connection issue than a video card issue.

haven't had it happen in awhile after I dropped my AA to 2x instead of 4.. but I dont' think that's it.. I also changed my Core clock to 400 for both 2d and 3d, which I heard helps with the suttering problems..

I have seen this problem too. Initially I thought it was a massive lag spike or something. But god knows. Also the real kicker is I have just started to format and reinstall my gaming rig as I type this (it needed it anyway and this problem pushed me over the edge).

I should get up and running again tonight sometime...will let you know if things get better after the reinstall. I am pretty sure its something that Valve shagged in the last update.

What router do you have? I had the exact same problem a while back with my linksys router, I updated the firmware and it fixed it. However now I get packet loss a lot... But it's better than it was before.

get eh same problems myself with an ati card

you can be running through the door on aztec, shoot a couple rounds, then all of a sudden you're back outside the door with all your bullets

real gay if you ask me

gregr said:
What router do you have? I had the exact same problem a while back with my linksys router, I updated the firmware and it fixed it. However now I get packet loss a lot... But it's better than it was before.

I too have a linksys. Perhaps that's what the issue was? Well my system is reinstalled and the game seems to be playing a lot smoother. Only had a quick go lastnight. Will do more investigation when i get home from work today.

Actually what I think you are experiencing has nothing to do with what graphics card you are running, but does have to do with your internet connection, and your connection to the server. You are probally expereincing connection problems to the server, and your lagging out, or experiencing a lag spike. Don't really know how to fix this as the problem usually lies with your ISP. I had this problem awhile back with Cox, and it was happening on every single server that I connected too including ones that it had never happened on before. I quite playing CS 1.5 because of the spikes, but I don't get them anymore b/c I think Cox fixed the problem even though originally they wouldn't recognize it as being a problem.

|NOLAFF|-JD said:
Actually what I think you are experiencing has nothing to do with what graphics card you are running, but does have to do with your internet connection, and your connection to the server. You are probally expereincing connection problems to the server, and your lagging out, or experiencing a lag spike. Don't really know how to fix this as the problem usually lies with your ISP. I had this problem awhile back with Cox, and it was happening on every single server that I connected too including ones that it had never happened on before. I quite playing CS 1.5 because of the spikes, but I don't get them anymore b/c I think Cox fixed the problem even though originally they wouldn't recognize it as being a problem.

That's quite possible. Also I have noticed that if I am downloading from HTTP or FTP servers just using the inbuilt downloader thing in Internet Explorer a large proportion of my downloads seem to be crashing recently. They just get so far then give up. I have to manually cancel them and restart them. Usually I get there in the end and everything is ok. So all this is pointing towards a network problem. But what could it be? Dogdy router, cables? Or is the ISP just screwed up.

I have seen a lot of people complaining about this lagging/lag spike issue since the last Steam update though...I cant really pin it. I am at work at the moment but I will be sure to do some more testing tonight and see what I can find. The fresh system is nice to have back though!!

Although my C:\ and D:\ have been switched!!!

Windows is now on D:\ and my storage drive is now C:\

!!!

Very werid. I cant be arsed to reinstall again to get the lettering right and the windows disk managment thing wont let me change the lettering. Anyway i digress....I'll let you know how things go tonight.

I'm pretty convinced that it is somehow your ISP messing up. I mean you could almost blame the network card, and it's driver setup, but your coming from a freshly formatted system, so if you are still experiencing the problems then I would say that the ISP is the culprit. But then again maybe it could be a faulty router. I would test out another router of a different brand just in case. If problems persist then I think that would pretty much narrow it down to the ISP. The best part is going to be trying to get the ISP to own up to their faults. When I had my problem with the constant lag spikes Cox would not own up to it being caused by them at all. They would in no way shape or form accept their service as the reason for my lag spikes.

The best part is that mid day is when the service technician would come over, and of course the problem would not show up, but almost the second the technician left the lag spikes would start to happen again. Then on top of that I had low pings to the servers I was playing on, but it didn't stop the lag spikes.

It may be a lag spike, but CS truly handles it like shit, as one time it did lock up my rig when it came back.. you'd think it'd handle it a bit more graceful..

I have an Nvidia card and I get the same problem. Also, notice how if you don't buy anything for the round, the green text that shows how much money you received that round stays there the whole round?

I always buy something.. I'll have to try that.. Also I notice when this happens, everything I bought, shows up on the right again.. I just don't think a lag spike would cause that, unless the game seriously can't handle a common problem like that.

I've reinstalled my system. And am now using the 71.84 drivers (from guru3d). I havnt noticecd these problems since the reinstall.

I'm not sure what the issue is/was. I'll do some more playing and let you all know.

Yea, I'm going to try out the 71.84's off of nzone first. all the others were a release off of leadtek's ftp site. I think the Xtreme G drivers based on them are with the leadtek ones as well.

Not sure if there would be a difference between the ones off of nzone, or any of the other copies floating around.. probably not...

Back