cs source vs hl2

jamestime88

[H]ard|Gawd
i've been playing cs source and although the graphics are very good, they aren't breathtaking like in doom 3 and far cry. i hope that the hl2 graphics will be much better than source graphics, does anyone know this for certain? from the screenshots of hl2 they really dont look that amazing.

HL2 goes for a much more realistic to date look then Doom 3's scifi look. The models in HL2 are probably the best in any game to date... In short, CS:S is not reflective of what we will see in HL2.

HL2 will be more detailed im sure, but you do know they use the same engine, ya?

CS2 is still on the way... CS:S is nothing more then the original CS updated to the Source engine, CS2 will be a whole new game, whenever it is made...

|MaguS| said:
CS2 is still on the way... CS:S is nothing more then the original CS updated to the Source engine, CS2 will be a whole new game, whenever it is made...
ohhh sweet, i had no idea. thats really cool.
but its kinda stupid how they divided counterstrike into 3 groups now.
1. original cs
2. cs source
3. cs2

The best graphics and rendering can't help the poor design, layout, creativity of the original CS maps. There is only so much you can do to De_Dust without making people complain and bitch about something. The CS:S maps from the original CS really don't show off the power of the HL2 Engine to its full extent.

jamestime88 said:
ohhh sweet, i had no idea. thats really cool.
but its kinda stupid how they divided counterstrike into 3 groups now.
1. original cs
2. cs source
3. cs2
Dont forget CS:CZ

well if valve boutght the rights to cs2 then yes you will have to buy it but if its just like the orignal then no you will just have to have hl2 to have cs2 because it will be a mod

also dont forget that the source engine is not as demanding as the doom3 engine, yes i think that going for the "realistic" look was a much better choice, like far cry (which looks better than doom3 IMO)

good God people, you're speculating YEARS into the future. HL2 and CS:S both are using the same engine, and no there will not be another 'version' of CS coming out after Half Life 2. What you see right now is HL2's multiplayer.

Talking about CS2 is like talking about how lame Doom 4 will be :)

MrWoot said:
good God people, you're speculating YEARS into the future. HL2 and CS:S both are using the same engine, and no there will not be another 'version' of CS coming out after Half Life 2. What you see right now is HL2's multiplayer.

Talking about CS2 is like talking about how lame Doom 4 will be :)

WHAT ARE YOU ON? :eek: Of course there is going to be a CS2. Might be a while yet... but not YEARS :rolleyes:

Cs-Saki said:
WHAT ARE YOU ON? :eek: Of course there is going to be a CS2. Might be a while yet... but not YEARS :rolleyes:
umm.... how long did it take for HL2 to be released with CS:S *by the way I'm a [H]ardcore hl, hl2, cs, cs:s,etc... fan*

people are getting counter-strike:source and counter-strike 2 confiused
source = updated graphics still a mod of hl
cs2 = totaly new game modded off of hl2

they have said there will be a cs2 just they havent said when they are starting it

and my first comment was based on the other poplular mod dod, tfc, ect... valves has all the rights to them and the smart business solution would be to buy the rights of cs2 to make even more bank
not good to us but good to them

NUTSHELL ...

CS:S doesn't show the capabilities of the Source engine, and HL2 will. However, the lighting and most importantly the texturing in the HL2 are not all that great. Don't get me wrong they are updated and all... but use simliar textures styles as in HL1 :/

HL2 will not be using any bump mapped textures at all. Bump mapping is when there is texture on the texture that casts shadows, adds depth, etc... (like in Doom III). HL2 is using basic flat texture technology kinda like in CS:S. Google 'bump mapping' to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Hl2 will be good, and have good graphics, but the graphics are not the key selling point at all. Physics and gameplay are where the Source engine lays the smack down ...

NOT graphics.

theNoid said:
NUTSHELL ...

HL2 will not be using any bump mapped textures at all. Bump mapping is when there is texture on the texture that casts shadows, adds depth, etc... (like in Doom III). HL2 is using basic flat texture technology kinda like in CS:S. Google 'bump mapping' to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Umm... Characters in HL2 are bump mapped, even in the stress test they're bump mapped. Just thought I'd pont that out...

HL2 will not look as good as Doom 3 or Far Cry. I've got a mag review of the final build and it doesn't impress me at all. Prerendered lighting, low poly rooms and flat textures are a disppointment imo. But hopefully the gameplay will make up for it. I don't think the characters look anything special too. It will certainly look better than CS:S though. :)

theNoid said:
NUTSHELL ...

CS:S doesn't show the capabilities of the Source engine, and HL2 will. However, the lighting and most importantly the texturing in the HL2 are not all that great. Don't get me wrong they are updated and all... but use simliar textures styles as in HL1 :/

Hl2 will be good, and have good graphics, but the graphics are not the key selling point at all. Physics and gameplay are where the Source engine lays the smack down ...

NOT graphics.

You are wrong, just visit www.half-life2.com where they talk about the graphics. It will even use the same technology as used in pixars movies.

Here are screenshots:http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/screenshots/

I dunno, some of the exterior architecture and lighting isn't exactly D3... I'll agree to that, but the characters in HL2 look as sharp as anything in D3 to me (and they ARE bump-mapped, I dunno how much it's used on the enviroments but 'least the characters are). Can't wait to see them in motion with Valve's face/lip motion technology behind 'em! Source engine seems to stress today's cards less than D3's engine too ('least from just looking at the fps) but we won't know 'till HL2 is out.

Back