Cucial or G-Skill 4GB PC2 1066 (8500)?

Crucial - $55.99 Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148249

G-Skill - $54.00 Free Shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Crucial isn't on the tested memoryQVL from my mobo manufacturer. Never used G-Skill before but I see lots of people like it.

GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P
AMD Phenom II X4 940

I would still probably go with G.skill. After running 6gigs of their triple channel kits and overclocking them like mad, I really have faith in the company.

Leaning toward G-skill myself. Great price on the Crucial but I can't find my mobo on crucial's site.
Also G-skill has heat spreaders.

I've always had good luck with Crucial. G-Skill seems to be an alright brand, but I have never used it. I would probably go with Crucial.

With my current system I did go with OCZ Reaper memory. It has been good so far. I have all the settings at auto in the bios, I haven't bothered to optimize anything yet.

I have to admit. I avoided G.skill mainly for their cheesy name. For the longest time I thought it was "Gangster Skill" till my friend corrected me. heh.

But I bought some G.skill notebook memory, then some budget desktop memory, then some higher end memory and I came to really like G.skill.

Crucial is alright to me. Nothing to complain about besides that time when their ballistix was major fail and crucial had to go through massive RMAs.

It seems lately other sticks like Corsair and OCZ run higher volts to get the same timings as G.skill which runs at lower volts.

I've heard good things about G.skill, but never owned any G.skill ram before. I just bought some though to see if it can fixing a freezing problem I've been having.

+8 for gskill. I've been happy with all the sets I've bought from them. I've rma'd crucials as well as ocz, never dem "gangsta skillz"...

I would change it to the pi series though as I personally have had better results overclocking them as compared to their regular stuff.

But as always YMMV

Last edited:
Back