CueCats! $8!

I just pulled my USB CueCat out to catalog my DVD collection. With a program like DVD Profiler, you can scan in the barcodes of your entire collection.

i still have a bunch that IBM was giving out free a while ago... i think i have 6?

Oh man cuecats. These weren't even a hot deal back when they were free. Some buddies from the IT academy and I used to go around to the area radio shacks after class and load up on cuecats. I also have a few of the usb ibm ones. bgmicro kicks ass, though.

Originally posted by hjellec
I just pulled my USB CueCat out to catalog my DVD collection. With a program like DVD Profiler, you can scan in the barcodes of your entire collection.

I agree, came in handy a few months ago for this and this. Although now it is just as easy to enter them one or two at a time

Anyone know if there is a similar program for CD collections that uses a barcode scanner? I have a few of those too!

Originally posted by Localan
I agree, came in handy a few months ago for this and this. Although now it is just as easy to enter them one or two at a time

Anyone know if there is a similar program for CD collections that uses a barcode scanner? I have a few of those too!

"Yoga Conditioning For Weight Loss"
from the second list LOL :p

When I add new DVDs to my collection, I usually do it manually now, but I still use the scanner every other month to check my collection for missing DVDs (I have lots of friends and relatives that like to borrow them without telling me). As for the CD collection, check out Collectorz.com. It's not free, but it will catalog CDs, DVDs, and pretty much anything else you throw at it.

I remember these, I got like 6 free ones from radio shack.

I found a great program called rederware
Its does books , videos , cds and anything else you want..
the cool thing wiht the book is that once you can in the barcode it will go on the net and hunt down all the info on the book including thumbnails of the covers and such.
i have the pst.. but i would like one for the USB ones.

Originally posted by GTP_driver
"Yoga Conditioning For Weight Loss" from the second list LOL :p

Ummmmm, that's a friend's list. I can't control what movies they watch! :p

No really it is..... :D

oh and thanks hjellec and Mcavity, I'll look into those

Don't these have to be modded to allow them to read barcodes? I vaguely remember that you had to solder a connection to bypass a little chip that encrypted what the scanner scanned.

For those of you that have them, how did you get yours to work? Does it require modding? what about drivers for the USB version? I think I still have a USB version sitting in my closet. It would be nice to be able to use it with my dvd collection

Thx

Originally posted by HereComeTheBugs
Don't these have to be modded to allow them to read barcodes? I vaguely remember that you had to solder a connection to bypass a little chip that encrypted what the scanner scanned.

For those of you that have them, how did you get yours to work? Does it require modding? what about drivers for the USB version? I think I still have a USB version sitting in my closet. It would be nice to be able to use it with my dvd collection

Thx
to use them without their little spyware phoning home, you did have to mod them, I believe it wasn't too hard though.

/edit: the ones on BGmicro claim to have been "pre-modded" not to send any tracking info.

AWESOME!!! I'm going to get this and use dvdprifiler...I didn't know about them until now...I have almost 100 DVD's...SWEET!!!

(I have lots of friends and relatives that like to borrow them without telling me).

so how do you get them back? invite everyone over for dinner than barricade the door or what? cuse my friends take my stuff and i want to know how to get it back without hurting their families...err i mean asking them...forcibly

I did some research and found the answer to my own question. You don’t have to mod the cuecat.... everything can be done with software. Just go and download catnip (I put it up on my site for you guys). With catnip, any barcode you scan will be output as the decrypted barcode numbers.

Now I just gatta update my dvd collection (I'm lazy and haven't updated it for several months. I probably have over 100 DVDs that need to be added.... should be a breeze with the cuecat). :)

I just order one cause I have no clue where my other ones are(I had a bunch of ps/2 ones). The DVD software you all linked too looks sweet and I figure it's worth it for the usb version. Thanks

I did some research and found the answer to my own question. You don’t have to mod the cuecat.... everything can be done with software. Just go and download catnip (I put it up on my site for you guys). With catnip, any barcode you scan will be output as the decrypted barcode numbers.

Now I just gatta update my dvd collection (I'm lazy and haven't updated it for several months. I probably have over 100 DVDs that need to be added.... should be a breeze with the cuecat). :)
But when you do the hardware mod(it's just a short jumper wire) you don't need ANY decoding software. The cuecat spits out plain ascii so you can plug it into any computer and it will work. I prefer this way because it simplifies the whole process rather than complicating it. Here is some information on the mod.

hmm im building up a vinyl collection... anybody know if i could use this for the vinyl barcodes?

HCTB, IIRC you don't need to use catnip with the CueCat for DVD profiler. I have an unmodified PS/2 version, and just used the built-in plugin within the DVDProfiler software. I originally had it installed thinking the same thing as you, but then just uninstalled it. Also there is at least a 1.6 version of Catnip out as that is what I had at the time.

Oh, and BTW, that's not a DVD collection, that's a DVD ADDICTION! :eek: But I love guys/gals like you. I keep bookmarks of collections like yours since it makes it easier to explain to my wife just how "small" my collection is. ;) (Although I like to think of it as "streamlined" :D )

HCTB, IIRC you don't need to use catnip with the CueCat for DVD profiler. I have an unmodified PS/2 version, and just used the built-in plugin within the DVDProfiler software. I originally had it installed thinking the same thing as you, but then just uninstalled it. Also there is at least a 1.6 version of Catnip out as that is what I had at the time.

Oh, and BTW, that's not a DVD collection, that's a DVD ADDICTION! :eek: But I love guys/gals like you. I keep bookmarks of collections like yours since it makes it easier to explain to my wife just how "small" my collection is. ;) (Although I like to think of it as "streamlined" :D )

Doh! Heh your right... The scanner plugin in DVD profiler does decrypt the barcode. I guess the only reason to have catnip is if you want to scan un-encrypted barcodes into another text program.

About my collection... heh yea my family and friends think I'm crazy. It all started several years back when I use to work at best buy. All the employees were DVD addicts :D My guess would be that I currently have somewhere around 500 DVDs. I need to "streamline" my collection -- I have allot of DVDs that are junk (Example: Wagons East. Dunno what I was thinking when I got that. It was in the $5 bin at walmart, so it's not a total loss). ;)

Like a SAP I just orderd one they did nto tell me my shipping tho... but what ever i mean how much could it be (cringe)

Now dammit LINKS LINKS LINKS

Gime linkage on al lthe cool stuff i can do with my Cue Cat That i never had bec Radioshack by me all ways ran out!! (Proly from all u guys who have 6 and cant find them... i hate you). :D :D :D

LET THE LINKAGE BEGIN!

Edit:

Just after i posted this i found this on Fresh Meat I personaly love CueCat driver for Linux and CueACt thus far hee hee but i wont know till i try it But LINKAGE MORE LINKAGE GIME!!!!! hehe

A friend gave me the PS2 varient, I made a stand for it, and am using it as a low level keyboard light - works great the red light doesn't affect night vision - I like playing my games with the room dark, and this little light is perfect for the task of illuminating my keyboard.

For the first couple of days, I was a scanning fool, everything with a barcode was getting scanned - much to the bemusement of my wife who is used to my eccentricities, she just shook her head and knew that this preoccupation would pass.

i use dvd profiler for my dvd collection and ign for my game collection, but i just learned about another place
http://www.mediachest.com/
they do books, cds, games, and dvds and allow barcode scannage
its cool because it has an option to generate your lists in html, bb code (for forums), and plain text

a little while back i modded a cuecat, http://www.drxandy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13
gave it a nice sanding and paint job, and it looks pretty nice

i havent used it in a while though, because its ps2... grr
the wire soldering isnt hard at all

heres my collections just for fun
http://users.ign.com/collection/DRxAndy
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=DRxAndy&type=O&sc=C&ls=A

i've been working on the media chest collection, but inputting all my games takes forever

http://mediachest.com/users/DRxAndy/

so how do you get them back? invite everyone over for dinner than barricade the door or what? cuse my friends take my stuff and i want to know how to get it back without hurting their families...err i mean asking them...forcibly

After I find some missing, I just call around until I find out who has them. It usually doesn't take more than one or two calls to find where they are and get them back. So far I've only lost one DVD that hasn't returned.

Originally posted by jpmkm
Does it matter?
Well kinda...if it was one of my brand new Indiana Jones Collecter DVD's or the The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition) then I would be ULTRA pissed...but if it was something like a Spaceballs or Legally Blonde DVD which can be gotten for a few bucks then I wouldn't pay much attention to it

So it CAN makea difference I guess :eek:

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
Well kinda...if it was one of my brand new Indiana Jones Collecter DVD's or the The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition) then I would be ULTRA pissed...but if it was something like a Spaceballs or Legally Blonde DVD which can be gotten for a few bucks then I wouldn't pay much attention to it

So it CAN makea difference I guess :eek:
I meant does it matter for this thread. This really has nothing to do with cuecats anymore.

After I find some missing, I just call around until I find out who has them. It usually doesn't take more than one or two calls to find where they are and get them back. So far I've only lost one DVD that hasn't returned.

lol you misquoted me... heh... HackofDestruct
said that :D

anyone send one to me, i pay shipping or just out of the good of thier heart?

I got a cuecat and readerware and intend to one day sit down and catalog my large book and dvd collection. The cuecat takes a bit of learning to get the angles just right for getting a good barcode scan, but it does work after some practice.

I like the readerware stuff because it goes out to several different large locations like Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble, etc. and gets all of the information it can to populate your database.

Yeah, I'd appreciate if someone with a bunch would be willing to donate one. It really isn't worth eight bucks.

Thanks.

Back