Cutting Holes for Dual 120s

J4M3S0N79

Gawd
Quick question for you modders. I have a LianLi 75B tower and I want to put a blackice 2 extreme rad mounted to the top of the case (on the inside). So naturally I will need to drill or cut out the holes for the 120s. Question is this (since i am tool challenged), where can i go after penciling the cut out design to have this done...All i want is 2 bit 120 holes, the drill holes to mount the rad..and put on some fan grills.

Thanks,
M

I went to this welding shop around where I work. Get your antiquated yellow pages out and look for one of those or a sheetal metal (metal work) shop. The shop I went to cut 2 stamped 80mms, 1 stamped 120mm, and 1 new 120mm blowhole for $25.

Mysogonist said:
Is that good or bad?
wink.gif

It's good! So...I should look for someone to press the holes...not saw or dremmel them out! Cool

I did contact one metal shop and he said he would use a hole saw, but he was further away than I though. The welding shop used a plasma something to cut the holes. It leaves a slight discoloration on the edges of the holes but nothing some c-strip didn't cover up.

Dremeling is a DIY way of modding. If you're bringing your case to a shop, expect a hole saw mounted on a drill press as the minimum, but hopefully a plasma cutter.

Not to say that Dremeling is bad; I dremeled the 120mm blowhole on top of my case, and it came out great. Either way, you may need to sand the edgest when you're done (I used progressive grades of 3M hobby sandpaper, 300, 400, 600, and 800) to smooth it off, then use c-strip molding or a plastic fan duct to make a nice surround for the edges.

I figure if i sand it and put some fan grills on the outside/top of the case...there should be no visible signs of case scarring!

i used to work for a company which had a metal working division... i got them to hack up my case with their new $2M laser cutter.... worked well :eek:

plasma's tend to be a tad on the "rough" side so you might have to clean up the edges of the hole due to the less focused nature of plasma cutters... just hope if you go that route its a flatbed not a handheld, because that could get messy quick...

on the DIY path, if you are going to use a holesaw, invest in a GOOD one, not the cheepest one you can find... there IS a difference....

and you can always try to find a friend with a dremel and a steady hand... :)

I use a 4 1/8" Hole saw on my 19.2 volt cordless drill with it on Low and the torque setting on 22.

hole saws are great when it comes to this but ive had problems in the past of them not being big enough and having to sand out the hole anyways, get u a cheap 120mm fan take it apart keep the outer edges, and use it was a stencil cut the hole just short of the edge or the line uve drawn, and sand it out or grind it out the edge....this is the method ive used time and time again

Back