Cutting the cable cord...how?

• Thread starter Deleted member 147607
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 147607

Hi guys...

I'm hearing about people cutting their cable cords and going with HULU+ and NetFlix. I like the idea, I don't watch much television, but I do like to watch a movie now and then.

I have a Sony 40" Bravia. It doesn't have 1080P, but it has 1080i/hdmi. My current monthly fee for cable/cable box rental is about $75.

Is there a BD player or some other type unit that will allow me 'simply' to watch HULU+ and NetFlix in my home. I say simply because there are people I live with who aren't technically savvy - in the least.

Final question. Is this a bad idea? Are there cons to all of this I'm not considering?

Appreciate any help offered, I'm not sure where to start...

Liquid Cool

I run a boxee only, with no cable television. It does take a little while to get used to, but it's not bad. Plus it saves me an extra $80 a month. I would just get a roku box, boxee, or google tv for your kind of application. It will have MUCH more flexibility than anything a BD player would have.

push...

appreciate the response. I looked up all three of these. I think I'm liking the idea of this Roku box you mentioned. I'm going to start doing a little research into this area...plus maybe an HD antenna?

Best,

LC

push...

appreciate the response. I looked up all three of these. I think I'm liking the idea of this Roku box you mentioned. I'm going to start doing a little research into this area...plus maybe an HD antenna?

Best,

LC
Yeah, my friend has a roku box and really likes it. It was cheap and it just plain works without any fuss. Let me know what you end up with!

Thought I'd drop in with an update of what I'm currently doing...

Bought a new Coolmaster CM-7001-4(129.99 shipped). A nice Monoprice indoor/outdoor antenna(22.42) that I'm running up into the attic and an OOMA Telo(199.99) set up, plus the Roku box(79.99), both the Roku box and the Telo are hooked directly to my wireless router. My two pc's are going to be on Wireless N.

My cable/internet/phone bill was coming in right about about $181 mo/$2172yr. It will now be 137.88 yr for the telephone/cable, plus 36.99 mo for internet. That is...if everything works out, but for a chance to throw $1,600 yr in my pocket, I'll take the gamble...Still waiting on some more cables from Monoprice to get everything completed.

So, for the Sony 40" LCD TV...I'm using a Coolmaster CM-7001-4 plus HD indoor/outdoor antenna and the Roku Box. I added a 7.99/month sub from NetFlix and I'm already an Amazon Prime subscriber, which I don't plan on re-upping, but there seem to be a lot of shows on Amazon? The telephone setup is an OOMA Telo hooked up to my Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones, which consist of a base phone, plus two handsets. I went ahead and passed on the Premier Service. It's costing me 39.95 to port my phone number.

Cool thing is, I parted out my htpc to pay for the move over...I still have $175 to play with...I'm going to use the rest to make sure my wireless network is up to the task...

A work in progress...:)

Liquid Cool

hey you could always opt for an apple tv and a roku xds. they give you the trifecta; 1) itunes, 2) netflix, 3) hulu plus

it's a sub $200 solution

I cut the cable 2 months ago and really don't miss it. My hardware is remarkably similar to yours. I have a 40" Sony Bravia 1080 LCD and an Ooma Telo. The main reason I was able to cut the cord is my 2 year old Sony BDP-460 Networked Blu Ray. It does Amazon VOD, Hulu+ and Netflix. It also does YouTube, Pandora and Slacker, along with a bunch of other smaller sites. And of course it plays Blu Rays.

If you are serious about cutting the cord, I cannot recommend the Sony BR players highly enough. And keep in mind that my model is 2 years old. They came out with x70 models last year(which are still available at a great price BTW) and the new x80 models this year. Skip the 300 series and go for either the 400 or 500. The 500's have built in 80211N adapters and slightly better audio options. I bought a 570 for my 75 year old mother last year and she has had no problems with it at all. Personally, I think last years' 470 hits the price/performance sweet spot right now. It's $125 at amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S470-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/dp/B0036WS4CK

To be honest, there is only one thing I really miss about cutting the cord, ESPN Sportscenter. I never really watched it that much when I had it, but every once in a while I would like to just drop in and watch it for 10 or 15 minutes. Especially after a big event like the Masters or something. I get ESPN3 for the Live Events and they do have tons of clips from Sportscenter on ESPN.com, but it isn't the same. Other than that, I have absolutely no complaints about cutting the cord.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got my p[c plugged into my TV/receiver. That's a good solution, otherwise a roku.

But yeah, cable is a waste of time compared to Netflix streaming.

I'm not a fan of Apple...;).

DDR4040...

I'm the type of guy who would like watching Revision3 over sports, so won't be missing ESPN.

I agree with your comments on the Sony BR, I actually thought about going this route "after" buying the Roku. I only have 1 x HDMI/1 x Component1/1 x Composite to play with, so I'm putting the CM-7001 on the Component, Roku on the HDMI and my 'real old' but still working Sony DVPNS325/B Click on the Composite. Although, the Composite gives me S-Video/Audio hook-ups and I'm using a combo cable I picked up at MonoPrice. S-Vid/Audio all in one cable. After playing with both the Composite and the S-Vid, I liked the picture a little better on the S-Vid. About as good as I could do with what I already bought...

I guess if I did it over, I might do it a little differently...if this Roku doesn't work out, I may go the BR route. I just like having the options here...:). I also might start watching Sony and see what the latest tech is over the next year, then make an upgrade choice later. I like the look of these new LED TV's too, but my old KLV-40U100M is holding up very strong and even though it only does 1080i, the picture is absolutely superb. Frankly, I'm partial to these Sony's...and I like the 40". This unit has been perfect, not a single hiccup. Can't say this enough. Huge fan of these Sony's.

For future reference...Can you add/remove different movie sites from these Sony BR players, or is it a standard menu where "what you get is what you got - take it or leave it." If you could add/remove sites, this would make the Sony BR a pretty decent option to keep in mind...

matteos. I bought my TV a little too early. No internal tuner/receiver...basically a monitor, hence the extra cost for the CM7001. I actually thought about just dumping the old TV and buying a new one instead of buying the CM7001, but I like the TV, even despite its drawbacks. So I just went for the cheaper option of the two.

I'll also mention, I bought a D-Link DIR-655 and two ASUS NB-N10's from the Egg today. Hope the changeover goes well...My Prime membership doesn't come up until August, might just set aside the change for another year...:).

Best,

Liquid Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
So right now your running Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon VOD for all of your regular programing needs?
How's the interface with the Roku? Will probably setup my mother with an HTPC for her house with subs for all three plus a Telo. She's getting tired of paying crazy prices for a ton of channels she doesn't watch, a mediocre DVR that doesn't give her or my brother any options with its content, and crappy overpriced telephone service for a house full of people with cellphones.
Personally I'm rebuilding my HTPC with a Ceton CableCard setup now because there's no way I'll be able to get my technically retarded roommates to give up their precious MTV & BET videos and reality shows. I've never seen grown, college educated professionals so obsessed with stupid, mind numbing crap everyone else gave up when they graduated high school.

^^^Heh. Well my asian g/f is like addicted to anime. So I hear what you are saying..but in truth alot of people are watching those dumb shows. I hear alot about how great Mad Men is - but I don't know almost anyone who actually watches it.

Anyway depending on your viewing patterns you CAN cut the cable. You will save money but..

1) If you like sports its not that great. Sure there are things like NBA league pass and such but the quality often isn't as good as 1080i stuff you get - and you will end up missing some important games. But if like a lot of people you don't like sports no big.

2) Quality overall is lower - if you are a quality buff you will get slightly better results with say a Ceton tuner card recording the show then even the best Netflix/Hulu feeds. The shows look 'softer' on these. But the big issue I have is the SOUND. Man I miss Dolby Digital sound - simulated surround lacks clarity in the dialogue in alot of shows.

3) Choices vs. ads. Personally Hulu kind of bothers me with their ads. I find you watch more ads on Hulu then you do with real tv because you can't pause it and go do something else and then fast forward past the advertisement. Netflix and Amazon don't have adds but the streaming selection is not stellar.

I prefer using a PC simply because I feel I won't get caught up in the 'content' wars these guys have been having.. (and that google tv got burned by). Some TV shows/big content would prefer if you went to their actual website and watched in there. I don't know that Roku lets you do this - and when you start spending 200 dollars you are getting kinda close to Zacate setups you can build from newegg..

AMv8(1day)...

Yes, this is precisely what I'm using. Plus, the CM-7001 to get over-the-air(OTA) HD stations, of which I'm still playing around with, but I'm looking at 16 channels that are high quality. I will mention that people with newer LCD TV's probably would just use their built in tuner and an antenna instead of having to purchase a separate cable tuner. As mentioned earlier in the thread, my particular model of LCD TV is older and doesn't have one. An excellent antenna can be had for $50 or under. I paid $22.

There are other additions you can add like Crackle, Revision3 etc...you're not as limited as you might think. I'm still hunting around/doing research but I've found everything/anything I'd ever want to watch pretty darn easy...and the whole system is very easy to use. For me, I'm a classic movie junkie...I like film noir from the 40's, and I've had no problems finding movies all over the place. Watched Kansas City Confidential this evening...highly recommend.

If you kept NetFlix, did away with Amazon and added Hulu+, they have both BET and MTV content. That would run you $15.98/mo.

For your mother, it would be VERY easy to navigate, the remote only has 8 buttons. The menu is also very simple to use, but you might want to be around for the initial set up. I find it interesting that you mentioned this, I'm having family members come over this weekend to check out everything I've done. Noone around my house has had any problems navigating around and checking things out. Again, its pretty simple.

With the Telo, I like everything so far, but I'm going to wait to comment until 'after' my port is through and I've used it for a month or so...I'll just say for now, not a single hitch and the quality seems exactly the same as I had through Cox Digital.

My router will be here tomorrow and my adapters will be here on Saturday I think...that is if this crazy DHL/USPS online format isn't lying to me...;). I'm kind of looking forward to getting the router upgraded, I have one pc sitting w/o internet access, the other is on G.

I will also mention, some people might hook up this Roku through the air. I didn't want to do this because of the Telo, so I don't personally know how well that works, but through my old D-Link DGL-4300 Gaming Router, it has been superb. My only hesitation in upgrading to a new router is because this DGL-4300 hasn't dropped once in six years. Although, a few minutes with a faster connection should ease the pain...

GuyClinch...

All three of your points I think are very valid and need to be considered. Especially if your into HTPC's, HD programming, and an audiophile. For the folks who are used to 'just plain ol' cable', just starting to receive HD programming and aren't heavily into this type of stuff...well, I can't speak for them, but for me this feels like an upgrade. I think it might stem from the fact that for the first time I feel more in control of the programming that comes into my home and the price, which was my primary motivation. My only regret so far is not meeting up with DDR4040 a few weeks ago. I think I would have taken his advice if the Sony has a flexible menu.

'I feel more in control of the programming that comes into my home'. There's an Orwellian-Style Freudian Slip in there somewhere.

:),

Liquid Cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Back