Cyber Criminals Rent Out Unsuspecting Owners' PCs

HardOCP News

[H] News
Hackers are renting out your PC for a dollar a day. Well, not your computer, you guys are too [H] for that, but your {insert annoying relative} is getting owned by hackers and will expect you to fix it at the next holiday gathering.

The author reports PC renters can pick and choose their rentals via frighteningly sophisticated systems. He tried such a service and found 4,100 computers available in 75 countries, with most located in the U.S. He could select a rental by searching such criteria as city, IP range, ISP and connection speed. The price for a rented PC was a dollar a day after paying an initial $150 fee.

Wasn't aware there was such easy web front-ends for renting out portions of botnets, but I think its been known for a while most of the botnets are rented out if the "management" doesn't have their own use.

Lol, i think there are some hard members that fell for this.

I remerber someone said that they let someone rent their comp power but they might really be doing this to those comps

So this is where Amazon is getting their cloud power really from :p

I was wondering how the [H] managed to pwn at folding... now I know.

So how does someone know if their computer is "being rented"? How do they even manage to do this?

I mean, I run Win 7, MSE, and behind a large NAT hardware firewall... so how do they even pull this off, and how would you even know?

look for high bandwidth usage
scan for malware , spyware and viruses.
make sure anything you host from it is secure

many ways to stop it, just be smart and keep your OS and protection up to date.

they know because they scan IP ranges look for vulnerabilities and then exploit those they find, simple really.

i had windows 2000 server at home very long time ago (think it only had 80gb of space on that server as well :) hay that was big like 10 or more years ago) and some how it ended up been an dump site, was only on there for about 2 days but I had like 6 new Movies to watch lol {wonder if i still got the folder} (sure it was acting as my router for an short time i am guessing RDP exploit)

@Slachtbeest
the simple answer is user Fault (ooo what this funnyvideo.WMV or exe attachment looks funny) does not matter what virus scanner you have your security ends when you run something that you should not automatic trust, your antivirus has an 50/50 chance of detecting something if you randomly open it higher the chance the longer it has been out (less then 0-10% detect if its an automatic exploit like what's been going around with google web site search + IE8 and lower, automatic installing fake AV soft just by hitting an infected web site)

most do not bother to hack IP ranges, now when you can simply just send mass email that mite do all your work for you (or mess with web pages to load crap onto the system)

I found some new kind of crapware on my pc the other day that slipped in. I'm running Avira AntiVir, Spyblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Zone Alarm Pro.

I hoped on my pc to find core 3 maxed out 100% Looked at my processes and some crapware.exe was loading it up. Still unsure how it got there but I got rid of it.

Instantly went from 14% CPU to 1% usage.

Guess I gotta cut down on my Pr0n...:eek:

I found some new kind of crapware on my pc the other day that slipped in. I'm running Avira AntiVir, Spyblaster, Spybot Search and Destroy, and Zone Alarm Pro.

I hoped on my pc to find core 3 maxed out 100% Looked at my processes and some crapware.exe was loading it up. Still unsure how it got there but I got rid of it.

Instantly went from 14% CPU to 1% usage.

Guess I gotta cut down on my Pr0n...:eek:

Hmm, the "Firefox + AdBlock" crowd must be asleep so I'll fill in for them. :D

Hackers are renting out your PC for a dollar a day. Well, not your computer, you guys are too [H] for that, but your {insert annoying relative} is getting owned by hackers and will expect you to fix it at the next holiday gathering.

Why not just link directly Krebs story? Not saying to skip the link on the hardocp page, but seriously, Mr. Villarreal just summarized someone else's work.

Back