D-Link Gigabit Switch 20bux after 15mir@compusa

this looks to be uber [H]awt. can one of the networking gawds confirm this is gigabit'ness in all it's glory, jumbo frames and things of that sort...

man i gotta stop spending money... my last 2 orders haven't even arrived yet!

Probably no jumbo frame support - I think the SMC 8505T and 8508T are the only low-cost switches that support jumbo frames. But $20 for a gig switch - even without jumbo frames - is hot, IMHO.

Looking at the spec's it doesn't look like this switch supports jumbo frames which is a major performance factor.... :rolleyes:

Lets see for $20....

Get it if you want it. Even without Jumbo frame support it still going to average well above the 85Mbps average of 10/100 devices. If you get 500Mbps average which can be considered piss poor performance for a gigabit switch you've made out in the deal.

i picked up one of those netgear gigabit switches on amazon for $33 a while back. Is jumbo frame support just larger packets sent at one time? If you have a switch that supports jumbo frames, how do you enable it?

thanks,
Zack

doesn't jumbo frame support require that every device that's connected to the switch be jumbo frame enabled? Meaning.. if you have your router connected to it... it will not use jumbo frames for any device on the switch?

Jumbo Frame Support

copied from Sun:

" Jumbo Frame support is designed to the enhance Ethernet networking throughput and significantly reduce the CPU utilization of large file transfers like large multimedia files or large data files by enabling more efficient larger payloads per packet. By sending larger payloads per packet, fewer packets need to be routed, reducing the overhead on the CPU and potentially improving networking throughput. "

But yes... all devices in the communication path need to have Jumbo Frame support for it to work.

What if you have a router that is connected to the switch for internet access, then all your computers are connected to the switch as well. Will all the computers directly connected to the switch that support jumbo frames, continue to support it as long as its transfers between computers on the same switch?

UltimaParadox said:
What if you have a router that is connected to the switch for internet access, then all your computers are connected to the switch as well. Will all the computers directly connected to the switch that support jumbo frames, continue to support it as long as its transfers between computers on the same switch?
In order for jumbo frames to work, everything between where the transfer is starting and where it's ending must support jumbo frames.

So if you have two computers directly connected to the non-JF switch, jumbo frames will not work. If you have two other computers directly connected to the gigabit router (which I'm presuming supports jumbo frames) then transfers between those two computers will work with JF.

UltimaParadox said:
What if you have a router that is connected to the switch for internet access, then all your computers are connected to the switch as well. Will all the computers directly connected to the switch that support jumbo frames, continue to support it as long as its transfers between computers on the same switch?[/QUOTE

As long as the communication is b/t two computers directly connected to a switch that supports JF's then yes the communication can be but your internet traffic will not since Im not sure of a home internet service that suppiles enough bandwidth to matter.

Darth Millennial said:
As long as the communication is b/t two computers directly connected to a switch that supports JF's then yes the communication can be but your internet traffic will not since Im not sure of a home internet service that suppiles enough bandwidth to matter.

Yeah that is what I figured, and I did not mean the switch built into the router. Thanks a lot

Back