D3 Multiplayer Mode

Nvidiot

Limp Gawd
Any else notice a couple problems with the Multiplayer mode and Server connections in Doom 3. The problems I saw were:

1. The column sorting (Ping / Players/ Password-NoPassword / Match Type) did not work properly.
2. The filtering (Pw-No Pw/Full-Not Full/Match Type) does not work properly
3. Whether or not the server was full was almost never correct. I often would click on a server with 1/8 or 2/4 and would get back server full. <-- Very frustrating.
4. Overall game play was laggy even at < 100 ms ping.

Is it just me on this stuff? I know most of you are playing through the game right now, but check out multi and see what you think.

-Nv

1. Can you explain a little better?
2. The filtering (like filter out slow servers) doesn't work at all?
3. Cna you right click on a server and hit "refresh", I used to have this problem with TFC, It would take about 5 mins to generate server list, and by that time the list was somewhat outdated (in terms of who was in servers)
4. Is your net access good? IT is most likely shitty servers on the other side, but have you tried other servers and always gotten this result?

Sorry to answer your question with a question but I am curious of these answers myself, as I can not play D3 yet since this comp is a dell. (nuff said)

ninethreeeleven said:
1. Can you explain a little better?)

When you go into multiplayer mode there is a menu of Servers that you can connect to a' la QIII. There are various columns that show the name of the server, the ping, the game type and how many people are playing. When you click on the column headings it is supposed to sort by the column you click. Much like in your email when you sort by recieved date or name, etc. This functionality just does not work -- at least for Ping. It did not sort lowest to highest or vice versa.

ninethreeeleven said:
2. The filtering (like filter out slow servers) doesn't work at all?

Just as the column sorting did not work neither did the filter option in the menu. It did not remove the full servers or the ones that required a password. I'm thinking that the reason for this problem and for 1 is that the server information takes a few seconds maybe more to completely arrive. Thus, when you sort or filter you get a mix of new info and what you sorted. Just a theory, but who knows.

ninethreeeleven said:
3. Cna you right click on a server and hit "refresh", I used to have this problem with TFC, It would take about 5 mins to generate server list, and by that time the list was somewhat outdated (in terms of who was in servers)

Refresh happens pretty quickly. Since everyone that plays MP currently has to connect to the Master server at id it must be overloaded. Either that or it does a very poor job keeping up to date on the status of all the servers that are running. Whoever is maintaining the Master server @ id has some serious tweaking to do. Maybe they need Kyle to audit their [H]ware.

ninethreeeleven said:
4. Is your net access good? IT is most likely shitty servers on the other side, but have you tried other servers and always gotten this result?

I have cable and I had the connect speed set to cable/dsl. It's a 2 Mb/s connection so I would think it would be fine. Low ping was almost always the person that hit the frag limit first.

ninethreeeleven said:
Sorry to answer your question with a question but I am curious of these answers myself, as I can not play D3 yet since this comp is a dell. (nuff said)

Yeah the multiplayer definately needs to be patched. I hate refreshing the servers and finding games that are 1/4 or 3/4 etc, but when i click join, they're always full. Some icons indicating passworded servers and a red, yellow, green icon indicating latency would be nice too. So far, i've only been able to play once where the lag was acceptable. Other times it's just a slideshow.

I've had similar problems. The inability to sort by ping time is frustrating.
I think a lot of people are running these servers off of their dsl or cable connections right now, hence the difficulty in finding a good server.
Just spend a little more time looking for a good one, and I think you'll find one. It's a bit of a hassle, but it should be temporary ;)
As for the innacurate reporting, I'm on a 10mbit line, refreshing or updating the server list takes less than a second. I still get full servers that report 1/4 or 2/4 after only a few seconds.
I'm looking forward to a dedicated server app so I don't have to run the game to set one up. The program crashes on my 1.1 ghz comp when I do that.

Nvidiot said:
Any else notice a couple problems with the Multiplayer mode and Server connections in Doom 3. The problems I saw were:

1. The column sorting (Ping / Players/ Password-NoPassword / Match Type) did not work properly.
3. Whether or not the server was full was almost never correct. I often would click on a server with 1/8 or 2/4 and would get back server full. <-- Very frustrating.

Is it just me on this stuff? I know most of you are playing through the game right now, but check out multi and see what you think.

-Nv
Yep, saw the same things here.

Nvidiot said:

-Nv

1) i agree
2) they dont even have a hide empty option
3) i get that ALL the time but i guess thats from people joining rapidly
4) i never had any lag, even with hosting the server on a 30k upstream

There is a "Server Full" bug with Doom 3. It falsely tells you the server you are trying to connect to is full when it is not.

The fix is to copy the IP address of the server you wish to connect to into the IP Connect box and click connect. It works every time. :cool:

-Nv

I had the exact same problems last night, nv. Every single one.

I'm going to try your solution a little bit later. Thanks!

I"ve had ZERO problems at all with MP.. no lag... no server list problems at all..

Co-OP mod but maybe BEWARE:

http://download.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=5813

Warning about co-OP:

Please take the moment to read carefully the story below as a co-op modification may effect your CD-Key permanently. Do not download any mods without being certain.
Quote:
Couple days ago a mod that would allow co-op in Doom 3 was released which supposedly wasn't finnished. However after several members from PlanetDoom gave it a test, they've recently discouvered that their cd key was now listed as "Already in Use". All of what this mod seems to do is display single player maps in the map list and crashes the host whenever a player attempts to join. Obviously, from now on it is believed that this is not a mod at all but more of a cd-key stealing program, so please be aware next time about what you download.

This news was submitted by SgtEversman from FPSC, edited by me for the public and thanks to him for warning the community. Feel free to comment and discuss maturely

Back