Danger Den 8800 GTX waterblock for $118 shipped

RayDaddy

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi just thought I'd share since they are sold out at DD and this is like $25 cheaper after shipped than them anyway for the same product.

Ok, here is how it works go to this address (copy and paste it)

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11300AC1617&vpn=GPU-6001&manufacture=DANGER%20DEN

You will see the price is 118 canadian. which is like $100 us dollars. Problem is that Direct canada does not hsip to the USA. SO we have to get a touch creative.

now with that website address written down or cut and pasted go to this address now.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=21568&vpn=GPU-6001&manufacture=Danger Den

This website will ship to the USA and will pricematch the item to make it $118 shipped to the usa for the Danger Den 8800gtx block.

To get the price add the block to your cart then go to your cart and scroll down the page you will see START PRICE MATCH red tab. hit that and fill out the info and then make sure to paste the first website address in the line for the site you saw the price. then submit it AND DO NOT PAY YET! do that after you get confirmation. I used paypal to pay for mine since they take it and I just held off completing the section till i got confirmation of the price match. t hey say that in the price match process don't pay till you get your confirmation. then pay.

$100 for the block + 17.99 ship + $118 shipped

IT worked for me and was easy hope it works for you

Does the 8800GTX waterblock fit the 8800GTS? And is there really a point to watercool an 8800 over the stock cooler? Is there any respectible gains from OC'ing the new line?

Does the 8800GTX waterblock fit the 8800GTS? And is there really a point to watercool an 8800 over the stock cooler? Is there any respectible gains from OC'ing the new line?

No, They are not interchangable.

Yes The G80s generate a lot of heat, but make sure you have a good setup before you try to water cool one.

For a few dollars more with shipping, and a lot less hassle

http://www.jab-tech.com/EK-Waterblocks-EK-FC8800-GTX-Delrin-Top-pr-3712.html

Which many have said is a better made waterblock.

no gts will not fit it GTX only.

yes there are gains but they are not needed till dx10 games come out. gtx shreds dx9.

big concern is temps. gtx idles at 60-63 and loads at like 75-80 way way way to high.

I can clock this card(XFX gtx) to 680/2300 off air but it gets too hot and i don't want to go any further without proper cooling. Card has headroom just not unless you watercool, too hot. kinda like conroe clocks like a beast but needs cooling out the A-- to get it everyday to be viable to use.

GTS is supposed to clock to gtx+ speeds but i don't know the temps it runs at.

It may be within spec but there is no way 60 at idle is ok in my book.

not the same block though. notice the tail section is not copper? cheap knockoff. may work but not the real deal.

how hard is it to cut and paste a website address and fill out a pricematch form? took me like 2 minutes and in a half hour i had my confirmation with payment instuctions

nice find though cheaper alternatve

not the same block though. notice the tail section is not copper? cheap knockoff. may work but not the real deal.

how hard is it to cut and paste a website address and fill out a pricematch form? took me like 2 minutes and in a half hour i had my confirmation with payment instuctions

EK blocks are not cheap knockoffs. Get your facts straight.

Actually I am glad they made the tail section for the VRs that way. These blocks are damn heavy to begin with, and saving a little weight there helps. Saving 300g in copper, puts less stress on the card. I already have to brace it as it is because its so heavy.

Also if you look at how the coolant flows through the block, it is a much better design than the DD model.

I would be afraid that a card that runs at that high of a temperature would heat soak my small 1/4" ID aquagate system...

it may just do that. this is probably the end of the road for my dual 120 rad too. next run is this hot or I add a ppu and want to cool it I may need to get into a triple core.

I ran a vantec fancard under it when I aircooled it to help out. maybe that would help ya.

I might be able to use a peltier cold plate somewhere to prop up the system to handle the additional load.

you know that is where i may be going next too come to think of it. maybe after i get that psu upgrade.

my pc power & cooling 510 deluxe is maxed out so if i want to add anything like a peltier or another card for sli gotta upgrade psu. saving it for the next round i think.

Well, saying that the EK ISN'T a cheap knockoff is a little naive to say the least. We all know Aluminum doesn't have the same great thermal properties that Copper does. I just don't see the value in their cheap reverse "engineering". I know the DD dudes. They put A LOT of real engineering and hard work, not to mention testing, into their products. I figure since I'm getting the same temps under load as the stock air-cooler get's idle is a worthy investment!

Just the part the cools the VRs is aluminum not the entire block.. The only reason to do this was that copper was not needed, and it added extra weight.

well am definatley gonna give them a look next time. I like the internal config. looks like a touch more flow is possible. thanks for pointing out just found a new alternative, can't ever have enough of those

[LG]BLaRG;1030703375 said:
Well, saying that the EK ISN'T a cheap knockoff is a little naive to say the least. We all know Aluminum doesn't have the same great thermal properties that Copper does. I just don't see the value in their cheap reverse "engineering". I know the DD dudes. They put A LOT of real engineering and hard work, not to mention testing, into their products. I figure since I'm getting the same temps under load as the stock air-cooler get's idle is a worthy investment!

Here is an internal of that hardwork DangerDen put in to one of their blocks:

imgp1964kz9.jpg

imgp1962ym4.jpg

Here are some of the EK block:

fc8800aof8.jpg

fc8800cqu1.jpg

fc8800baq2.jpg

I can agree that most any block is a knock off of the DD block since they came out fist and most of them look very similar (just like most cars have four tires and a steering wheel), but the craftsmanship of the DD block does not compare to the EK block at all. Also, the aluminum part is for cooling the regulator and if you really believe the anodized aluminum isn't more then sufficeint for the job, you can remove that section and use chopped up Swiftech copper heatsinks which woul do a better job then DD's approach. And I don't know if it's just a bad picture for DD's block or polish, but the copper used in these blocks seems to be of different grades....the DD being a lower grade.

Exactly why I went with EK over DD.

Their blocks seem to have a lot more thought in them than DD does now.

DD almost seemed to just rush thier 8800GTX block to the market.

think I may try this thing those internal shots make the case all in themselves look at the channels over the gpu, how deep they are think I may refuse the DD block or ebay it. you guys may have sold me. think I am gonna get one and send the other back.

thanks for the info you made a believer out of me.

ok now you convince me and I get juiced up and they are out of stock! anybody know where the gtx block is in stock?

I got mine from Jab-Tech for $114 with the Delerin Top.

Performance Pcs is the only place I can find with them in stock but they are around $40 more expensive than Jab-Tech.

EK 8800GTX Acrylic
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240&products_id=21306 $139.95 + Shipping

EK 8800GTX Delarin
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240&products_id=21307 $149.95 + Shipping

I had to jump on mine fast at Jab-Tech. Soon as I saw it in stock I ordered.

I would wait till they get it back in stock, honestly.

But if you need it now, than Performance PCs as of the time writing this does have them in stock.

Show me a LEGITIMATE review of the EK, (not one posted by some !!!!!! in a forum). I have yet to see a professional review of this block. Does it really live up to it's "hype"? The 2 pics posted in this thread are a little bit off as well. My block looks spic and span. No burrs or blemishes. And the reason the waterchannels on the DD block are so shallow is because they implemented them inside the Delrin top since copper channels don't add to the heat dissapation.

Goddamn...$118..that's like what I paid for my entire video card.

Right.. and so obviously, you don't need this product. This product is for power users who buy high-end products, then push them past their limits. Since you paid $118 for your video card, obviously you have something like a 6600 or maybe a 9800 pro. $118 when you have a $600 video card that you'll be able to now overclock an extra 20% is worthwhile, if you are in that type of market.

By the way, raydaddy.. your sig is like, 15 lines.. which is much more than the 10 line limit on here. My sig describes SIX computers in my house, AND my internet connection, yet is only 9 lines.. learn to be less verbose.

[LG]BLaRG;1030705664 said:
Show me a LEGITIMATE review of the EK, (not one posted by some !!!!!! in a forum). I have yet to see a professional review of this block. Does it really live up to it's "hype"? The 2 pics posted in this thread are a little bit off as well. My block looks spic and span. No burrs or blemishes. And the reason the waterchannels on the DD block are so shallow is because they implemented them inside the Delrin top since copper channels don't add to the heat dissapation.

Some of the WC gurus over at Xtremesystems, know their stuff.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126118

Almost every post I can find, has this block keeping a 8800GTX under 45c load with a good water loop.

I know the DD block can't beat that.

I've been a supporter of DD for a long time, but If a competor releases a better made and designed product, I won't go for blind brand loyalty.

sig shortened thanx

I have been digging a bit more and seem to see alot of people bitching about how the DD block killed their flow too. anyone got a comment on that?

Think I am gonna refuse the DD and try to find a EK block the more I look at it the more I like it. really did not know it existed otherwise i may have gone that route. THought DD was the only real player on GTX

what about disimilar metals on that tail peice any issue there?

sig shortened thanx

I have been digging a bit more and seem to see alot of people bitching about how the DD block killed their flow too. anyone got a comment on that?

Think I am gonna refuse the DD and try to find a EK block the more I look at it the more I like it. really did not know it existed otherwise i may have gone that route. THought DD was the only real player on GTX

No problem, its not in contact with the water flow.

Right.. and so obviously, you don't need this product. This product is for power users who buy high-end products, then push them past their limits. Since you paid $118 for your video card, obviously you have something like a 6600 or maybe a 9800 pro. $118 when you have a $600 video card that you'll be able to now overclock an extra 20% is worthwhile, if you are in that type of market.

Actually, toughguy, I have an x1900gt. $125 new from ZZF. 8800GTX? No. But a far cry from a 9800 pro.

I just find it kind of ridiculous that a waterblock costs $118. Is it *that* much better than a $40 wb? I mean, I come from the days when a good water block cost ~$50. Shit, a Maze TDX is like $50. What makes this wb worth 2x+ more? I'm honestly curious at this point.

Plus, I have a hard time believing that most of the people buying this waterblock have such a perfect system that they couldn't get more performance out of there $120 somewhere else. And fuck it, if you've got that kind of cash to blow, fuck the $20 price difference.

when your card idles at 55-60 and games at 75-80 you better get something on it that can tame it. you can't clock a card that hot. Hell you can barely run it. the thermals on this card are insane. that is why you need a block like this in addition it cools the ram and the voltage regulators. these are the kind of things you have to do to run on the high end plain and simple.

Now it kinda sucks that unlike the old days it seems like you need a new block for every card now. used to be at least you could get 2 cards out of one if not three cause they did not chcange this much everytime. but that is what it has been since the 6800's

X1900gt you should go with maze 5 and some heatsinks good value for you and not bad. just not great. 8800 does not have that option so this is it for the time being

Actually, toughguy, I have an x1900gt. $125 new from ZZF. 8800GTX? No. But a far cry from a 9800 pro.

I just find it kind of ridiculous that a waterblock costs $118. Is it *that* much better than a $40 wb? I mean, I come from the days when a good water block cost ~$50. Shit, a Maze TDX is like $50. What makes this wb worth 2x+ more? I'm honestly curious at this point.

Plus, I have a hard time believing that most of the people buying this waterblock have such a perfect system that they couldn't get more performance out of there $120 somewhere else. And fuck it, if you've got that kind of cash to blow, fuck the $20 price difference.

with a x1900 series card with only 1 real big heatsource a maze block works fine (you still need a fan to keep the vreg heatsikn cool) but when you get into the 8xxx series with heat sources all over the card a full cover just makes sense.

[LG]BLaRG;1030705664 said:
And the reason the waterchannels on the DD block are so shallow is because they implemented them inside the Delrin top since copper channels don't add to the heat dissapation.

Correct me if I'm wrong: More copper channels = more surface area. More surface area = more heat dissipation. Thus, more channels = more heat dissipation.

I don't think it's an issue on the EK: It's just bolted on. Water does not come in contact with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong: More copper channels = more surface area. More surface area = more heat dissipation. Thus, more channels = more heat dissipation.

I don't think it's an issue on the EK: It's just bolted on. Water does not come in contact with it.

Not entirely true. Reduction in flow is a major concern also. While you might have more surface area, if you are cutting your flow my 40%, the the overall effect will be negitive.

Not entirely true. Reduction in flow is a major concern also. While you might have more surface area, if you are cutting your flow my 40%, the the overall effect will be negitive.

You can prove this "reduction" in thier water blocks vs the compeditors?

You are right. More surface area of copper that the water is in contact with=more heat transfer to the water. The EK looks to have 2x the surface area than the DD block in those photos. Plastic tops are insulators, so a channel in those is irrelevant when it comes to heat transfer. I guess DD wanted a more economical build with a thinner copper blank with less milled away to make the DD block.

I wish I would stop hemming and hawing on whether or not to get an EK GTS block, still wondering if my poor new loop could handle 8800 thermal loads at the silent fan speeds I'm using.

Well what are you running? pump rad blocks?

well ya gotta get something so just go for it. just look at the thing deeper wider channels thicker fatter deepr grooves in the gpu area. hell the more I look at it the more i feel like an idiot for calling it a knockoff.

This guy reminds me of Cathar at Little River, (I have a silver storm of his and it rocks) one guy churning out what appears to be the sweetest block out there right not. more attention to detail, more mill time on the block and I have heard over and over now since i have been looking about DD killing flow. I ain't just me or these guys saying it either it is all over the DD forums to.

I would go for the EK why not? what do you really have to lose? a degree or two? you can always go DD next round.

Well what are you running? pump rad blocks? .

D5, Fuzion, & 2 BIP singles. I think it should handle it, but things are getting kinda warm under Orthos and slow fans. Been playing with it only since last night though, so.... Aww heck, I'm shopping JabTech right now, lol

anybody know where to get replacement pads for the EK block cheap? do the chains have them (BB, CC, comp ussr, etc?)

I bought mine straight from Eddy in Slovania. Was 75 euros when I got it and the block + tax (you will be taxed) + shipping to Hawaii was $116. Took a little over 2 weeks to get it from Slovania to me in Hawaii.

http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/

think i got it locked now. block secured ( I think) and pads coming from DD. if you need pads go to custom systems and then enter this part # GPU-A06 and put amount at $2. then checkout and they will send you 2 sets for $2 then you have a set for now and one for mistakes or resale later.

thanks DD

hi, first i want to start off with saying i don't work for DangerDen or EK, and i am not writing any of this for the benefit of either company, just like to express my opinion the way i see things.

well i've been buying the parts for my watercooling setup for my new rig, and only thing i'm still waiting for is the Fluid XP, so i got all these parts sitting around, never used yet...one of which is the DD 88gtx gpu cooler

when i saw this post i thought dang, i want to open mine up and see if thats true, because i've been around DangerDen's products for some time now and know all of their products as really great quality.

so i opened my block up and took some pictures to share with you all. but before i do i want to ask that someone who has bought the EK 8800gtx block, if you can take yours apart and take some pictures for the benefit of the community so we can see real, detailed pictures, not store photo's

thats one of the things that bothered me about this threads comparison of the dangerden block and the ek block, in one corner a picture was shown that looked like one i saw when the 8800gtx block design was announced by DD, looked like the picture of the pre-release working model which would account for the grease and lack of attention to detail dangerden usually strives for. then in the other corner it was compared to a store released photo. now these pictures aren't like newegg pictures where they are taken by the store, these are provided by the manufacturer, and wouldn't you all agree that as the manufacturer if you were going to do a photo shoot of one of your parts you put up a part that spent a little more time on the mill, maybe was polished a bit more, and also made sure to get the lighting correct on the shot, see i didn't see the pictures as fair to compare the two cards thats why i wanted to see it for my own eyes.

now i want to reiterate that this is the block how i an average joe got from the DangerDen store...so this should be exactly like the block anybody else gets...and also i didn't spend any time cleaning or polishing the block as i wanted to show real results, and you can see that if you notice the discoloration on the bottom of the card that was exposed to my fingerprints and carelessness.

anyway enough talk, on to the pictures.

dd1.jpg

dd2.jpg

here are two shots of the card as it comes, fully assembled...well except for the screw i took out to see if i had the right allen wrench. Note that with this block as many other parts from DD, the barbs can be swapped out, so you can do 1/2 loop now, and maybe change to a 3/8 or 1/4 loop some other time, or when you sell it...just buy new barbs, not a whole new block. also its easy to set these up in sli (those are the extra barbs you see in a later shot) as you can place barbs and caps in any orientation.

dd3.jpg

this is a shot of the card fully disassembled into all its main parts; the inside is showing on the copper piece, i was careful to only hold the block by the sides so i don't put any more oil on the inside too, also shows the other items minus instructions that you get in the box.

dd4.jpg

heres a shot with the copper piece flipped to show what is the side that touches the video card...the discoloration you see is oil from my fingers from the hours i spent gawking at it while i waited for more parts. of course it should be cleaned before installing on a video card.

dd5.jpg

here's a close up shot of the finish on the part that sits ontop of the g80 chip

dd6.jpg

this is a shot of the delrin top; the whiteness you see is the derlin scratched like the engraving on the top side...it is not shavings or powder residue, and wont get into your water. As someone noted, notice that the delrin is channeled as well as the copper (the ek block, the plexi is just a flat piece of plastic), this allows for a lot of water to flow through the card, and the volume inside the derlin with the volume inside the copper is larger then on the EK block, also this allows for the use of less copper so that weight is not putting stress on the card...people were posting how they like to see the tall fins and deep channel in the EK top, and some were saying they see reports of DD having bad flow, but if you look at these pictures you see that the DD block clearly has better flow then the EK top, and carries a larger volume of water...flow rate and volume are key to colder temperatures, and having more water move through the block (by more volume and faster rate) is more efficient then having more copper surface area touching the water. this is something DangerDen clearly has learned and takes the extra steps to include in the design. the uper half of the sides of the waterblock don't have a chance to heat up, so the deep channels in the EK block doesn't help temperatures by method of surface area, it is simply trying to achieve volume of water.

also note the rubber seal, it actually sits inside a groove to make dismantling and putting back together very easy. it also prevents the seal from moving or twisting; which can cause leaks or pinches in the rubber. lastly notice its a custom cut rubber seal, and the seal goes around the perimeter of the card but also the interior, so that there are no leaks under the derlin and going over the center piece of copper...the EK block doesn't do this.

dd7.jpg

here is a shot of the inside of the block, notice the nice finish, and unlike the other picture shown of the DD block, the circular indentations can't be felt, there is only the ledge that goes up at the begging and end of what i call the tunnels.

dd8.jpg

dd9.jpg

here are two close up shots of the center area so you can see that its actually very smooth and well milled.

now lets take a look at the EK Block

fc8800aof8.jpg

fc8800baq2.jpg

8800GTXblock.JPG

here is one of the only pictures i could find of the EK Block from what i think is an actual user, if you look at it, the milling doesn't look quite as good as it looks in the original pictures. also notice the amount of screws used, not quite as many or in as precise locations as the DD block so leaks would seem more likely on this block then the DD one. also i know the anodized aluminum may not be over critical chips, but i think it still would of been better designed as one piece, or use some better screws, i got the feeling that because those screws aren't seen once installed they figured it doesn't matter, but DD didn't run with that cost savings idea. also i wonder how well the heat from the aluminum transfers from it to the watercooled copper, there is no thermal grease over the area so in essence its acting more like a giant air cooled heatsink without fins then a well thought out method for a full coverage watercooled block.

take a look at the pictures and draw your own conclusions...which ever block makes you happier is obviously the right choice for you, but to those who were worried, the DD block doesn't seem as bad as initially projected. also i like the fact the DD is an American company employing American workers, with their own research department and connections with video card vendors and manufactures. i believe DangerDen has superior design and that others are just coping their work, but i could be wrong. i just personally don't agree with those who stated on these forums that the EK has a better design. i feel the DangerDen block would outperform the EK one, but unless someone can place the two cards in the same loop it will be hard for us to tell which is better.

the DangerDen block is available on their website for 125 for those who are interested..i don't think you'd be making a bad decision by going with this proven company.

here are some links to what other have to say
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI2MSwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/408/1/
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/01/03/bfgtech_geforce_8800_gtx_watercooled/1.html
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/Ed...rticle=articles/archive/c0704/18c04/18c04.asp

also if you would like to look at the full resolution shots of my pictures, go here: http://www.critechi.com/img_dd/ ...those starting with l being the larger ones :)

sure would like to see a real photo of the other side of the ek like the third one.

Back