Darksiders [PC]

BM00

Gawd
Released yesterday for PC (steam) haven't seen much said: played about an hour or so and what a great game thus far -- interesting story, intuitive combat/inventory system (reminds me of Prototype and God of War - never played the latter but it at least looks as such)

Graphics are nice and fluid (gets the job done - solid 60fps) despite no real way to change them save for resolution and vsync (could use some AA). Mark Hamill lends his voice to a character (immediately recognizable) so that at least is good for a passing rating, haha

Darksiders-1.jpg

Might have to pick this up, was interested in it when it came out for console but as I dont own a console I sort of just forgot about it. $60 on steam is more than I want to pay though, hopefully it drops in price soon.

I loved this on PS3. It's like God of War meets Devil May Cry 3 plus a heavy dose of Zelda.

It "borrows" very liberally from a whole heap of games but does nothing of worth on its own merits. The combat is shallow and far too simplistic, and the pacing is completely off. The last part of the game is just puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. Compare it to a game like God of War (which this game tries to ape the most) where the puzzles and action are broken up really evenly. Most of the toys you unlock along the way have no practical combat uses and are only useful in puzzles that require their use to solve them.

I think a lot of PC gamers will lose patience with the game when it starts blatantly ripping off Portal towards the end of the game.

It is definitely not worth $60. One of the most overrated games of the last 12 months and the fact it rated so highly in reviews is more indicative of the scene's lowering standards than anything else.

It "borrows" very liberally from a whole heap of games but does nothing of worth on its own merits. The combat is shallow and far too simplistic, and the pacing is completely off. The last part of the game is just puzzle after puzzle after puzzle. Compare it to a game like God of War (which this game tries to ape the most) where the puzzles and action are broken up really evenly. Most of the toys you unlock along the way have no practical combat uses and are only useful in puzzles that require their use to solve them.

I think a lot of PC gamers will lose patience with the game when it starts blatantly ripping off Portal towards the end of the game.

It is definitely not worth $60. One of the most overrated games of the last 12 months and the fact it rated so highly in reviews is more indicative of the scene's lowering standards than anything else.

From what I've played it borrows more from Legend of Zelda than God of War. Far more Action/Adventure than pure Action. Hence why the combat is shallow, its not supposed to be as "deep" (HA!) as modern pure action games.

From what I've played it borrows more from Legend of Zelda than God of War. Far more Action/Adventure than pure Action. Hence why the combat is shallow, its not supposed to be as "deep" (HA!) as modern pure action games.

You would be correct.

Its a pretty long game too. 12-15 hours if u don't skip the cut-scenes.

That being said.. This is still my favorite game of 2010. Might pick it up during a steam sale since I own it on PS3 already.

Might have to pick this up, was interested in it when it came out for console but as I dont own a console I sort of just forgot about it. $60 on steam is more than I want to pay though, hopefully it drops in price soon.

It's $40.

Where are you guys getting $60 from? It's been $40 since it's been available for pre-orders for months now and hasn't changed.

I played the ps3 demo and plan on picking the pc version up in a bit but I just bought a bunch of console games so I need some time.

how is this game using mouse/KB? I am debating whether I should play on my PC or pick it up for $15 on my PS3?

how is this game using mouse/KB? I am debating whether I should play on my PC or pick it up for $15 on my PS3?

Not my personal experience, but I've heard 2 different people say that the M+KB controls in the game are pretty well done. It's not like a controller is absolutely required to enjoy the game (as is often the case these days).

is this a "quick time event" type of game?

Not that I've seen. The only thing close to a QTE I've run across so far is pressing a single button at the end of a boss battle to well end the battle. No multiple button press QTE crap.

^Somewhat, somewhat not.. haha. Its action oriented for the most parts, some finishers require quick time events though.

AMD and nVidia really need to start getting behind some way of getting games labled for multi-monitor support.

It's $40.

Where are you guys getting $60 from? It's been $40 since it's been available for pre-orders for months now and hasn't changed.

I played the ps3 demo and plan on picking the pc version up in a bit but I just bought a bunch of console games so I need some time.

They probably buy Activision games. So they just assume.

It must just be an Australian pricing. $60US is a bit much for me, if I can pick it up for $40US somewhere then I might grab it.

If you buy from Direct2Drive do you need to have any 3rd party software to run it like steam? I already have steam and dont want more 3rd party software running needlessly on my PC.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9751/product/Buy-Darksiders-Download

If you buy from Direct2Drive do you need to have any 3rd party software to run it like steam? I already have steam and dont want more 3rd party software running needlessly on my PC.

No you don't usually.. But I believe this game is a Steamworks game. So where ever you buy it. You can insert the key into steam.

I can't say that I like the look of it at all. The hideously oversized armor, giant swords...it all makes me think me of what WoW would look like if it had a respectable graphics engine.

I can't say that I like the look of it at all. The hideously oversized armor, giant swords...it all makes me think me of what WoW would look like if it had a respectable graphics engine.

I was just about to post the same thing about the OP's screenshot.

So if WoW looked different, it would look like this.

Well, hard to argue with that!

So if WoW looked different, it would look like this.

Well, hard to argue with that!

Good job intentionally misunderstanding. Aside from the geometric complexity and better textures, the art style is quite similar, and that is not a good thing (to me).

Right... Cause graphics make a game.. Darksiders is totally a WoW Clone..:rolleyes:

I don't think he was saying it was a clone...

I also dislike this OTT art style, it's bleeding over from the Japanese culture I think, we have these people with impossibly big swords and completely unrealistic armour, I don't have a problem with fantasy settings but this stuff just isn't internally consistent.

OOOOHH I have been waiting for this for soooo long, the screen shots look amazing. Def by this weekend.

I don't think he was saying it was a clone...

I also dislike this OTT art style, it's bleeding over from the Japanese culture I think, we have these people with impossibly big swords and completely unrealistic armour, I don't have a problem with fantasy settings but this stuff just isn't internally consistent.

Actually, no it isn't Japanese at all. Its taken from a specific style used in comic books. The founder of Vigil Games, Joe Mad, used to be a comic book artist.

Oversized armor and weapons? -> Warhammer, Starcraft, Gears of War... I didn't really think of WOW since WOW looks so crappy.

Shallow repetitive combat system and video settings are almost non existent.
Resolution is just a bar that goes from empty to full with no indications or labels (wtf). Lazy port. My 2 cents.

Shallow repetitive combat system and video settings are almost non existent.
Resolution is just a bar that goes from empty to full with no indications or labels (wtf). Lazy port. My 2 cents.

It doesn't sound like you tried upgrading your sword or off hand weapon -- instead choosing to mash the attack key. There are at least 20+ different ways I can approach an encounter and I'm ONLY about 4 hours in.

This game is reminding me of Zelda Ocarina of Time but for grownups (kind of how Blur is mario kart for...) Having a blast and only just beat the "bat queen" -- not a short game by any stretch.

It doesn't sound like you tried upgrading your sword or off hand weapon -- instead choosing to mash the attack key. There are at least 20+ different ways I can approach an encounter and I'm ONLY about 4 hours in.

This game is reminding me of Zelda Ocarina of Time but for grownups (kind of how Blur is mario kart for...) Having a blast and only just beat the "bat queen" -- not a short game by any stretch.

Nope, finished it on console. Tried it on PC.

Nope, finished it on console. Tried it on PC.

I finished it on the PS3 and I think you're obviously missing alot of what War is capable of. It's a basic combat system that has depth in timing and combos. I felt GoW 1/2/3 and Heavenly Sword were all much simpler than Darksiders in terms of combat.

Regarding the "impossibly huge armor/sword": if I'm remembering correctly, you play as one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. You're not some scrawny Japanese boy like Cloud, you're a motherf*cking demigod whose purpose is to destroy.

I personally love the art style and I'm pretty sure I'll pick this up once it hits $20, just to support Vigil. They're the guys making the 40K MMO that I've been salivating over since they released a trailer.

Regarding the "impossibly huge armor/sword": if I'm remembering correctly, you play as one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse. You're not some scrawny Japanese boy like Cloud, you're a motherf*cking demigod whose purpose is to destroy.

QFMFT!

I personally love the art style

I generally am not nearly as a big a fan of fantasy stuff that's super realistic and this art style is right up my alley. I thought the entire game was gorgeous.

I have to agree with you. I think alot of fantasy games look pretty tame when everything is sized properly. Oblivion would be an example of this.

Loving the game and story so far. I just wish there was a way to increase the graphics quality. It looks hideously console-ish.

Heck, it even defaults to 1280x720 or whatever resolution...

Back