Data General Aviion 3650

Oneos

Gawd
Now, I know my chances are really low of finding any info on this, but thought I'd try.

Anyway, we have a Data General Aviion 3650, which is pretty old, and we're looking to just top it up with parts. Problem is, we can't really find anything until we go hunting for 'bulk stores'.

We were just wondering if anyone here has had experience with the system, and where we could possibly find it.

http://developer.novell.com/yes/35539.htm is a good data sheet on it.

We're looking for a 2nd CPU board and 2 cpus to add to it (we currently only have 2) as well as the RAM it uses, as we only have 512MB in it and can hold a total of 1GB.

Once again I know the chances of finding it are low, but wondering if anyone has any ideas.

IIRC, the Aviion 3650's a rebrand of the ALR 4x4, but may be 6x6. You're going to have to cruise eBay for parts, carrying a horseshoe and 4-leaf clover.

Thanks, this info has really helped me in finding better info...

It looks very similar to the 6x6. One thing I'm wondering is 6x6 and 4x4 the same thing just one has the CPU Cards that fit 3, or is it diff? Would love to be able to get my hands on the 3 CPU cards if they work in this.

Oh yeh, another thing.

We're having a problem where hte EISA Configuration went bad and we're instructed to run the Utility. However since we got this second hand quite a few years back we don't have the disk, or anything.

Would you know where we can find the EISA Configuration Utility and the Config for the motherboard. We would like to atleast get it running, then probably sell off the parts or who system.

Thanks

i have a ALR Revolution 6x6. I bought mine for around 120 shipped which was steal. Mines fully complete. I actually found ram on ebay for like $75 and snatched up with a quickness. You can still get RAM for them but places charge like 300 bucks for a 1GB kit. Some ALR stuff may work with it. Not sure on RAM risers or CPU Risers. I do know that Data General rebranded the ALR Revolution line and sold them. If you have a ditital camera id like to see pics and i can compare it with my 6x6 and maybe we can get you some answers.

that looks like a 6x6 man, It looks exactly line mine except its missing the LCD display. the board and all that is the same. IIRC the ALR Quad 6 didnt have redundant power supplies and the board was different. The CPUs mounted on the motherboard itself. Go ahead and pull the cards out and get pics of them as well. Im thinking you have a 6x6, you just need to get the tri CPU cards. You of course have a SIMM RAM card and i have the rare DIMM one.

Thanks,

I won't be able to get any pics until Friday. Until then I'll keep looking and reading that manual a bit.

THREAD RESURRECTED

I'm donating this system to my school's Computer Engineering class. So over the past few days I redoubled my efforts and got it put back together (for the most part - some stuff didn't line up right, but noting a hammer didn't hit hard enough that it doesn't need screws anymore). Managed to find disks for it, rebuilt the array, got rid of the EISA errors, the onboard SCSI is still complaining - preventing booting from my SCSI CD-ROM, but oh well.

So, for the past 2 days, I have been trying to install Windows 2000 onto it, and it's thrown up every wall possible. I've been trying several different ways of copying the setup files onto the drives to install from. Right now I'm booting to a Ubuntu live CD trying to do that.

I'll make sure to get some pics for you in the next bit, if not before it's moved, than after - which should be sometime this week.

Thanks for the info once again German Muscle, wouldn't have been able to get it going without knowing it was a 6x6 equivalent (Gateway NS9000 series).

we are having the same problem.
did you manage to get the EISA Configuration utility diskette? and if yes how can we get it?

thanks
Uri David

Oh yeh, another thing.

We're having a problem where hte EISA Configuration went bad and we're instructed to run the Utility. However since we got this second hand quite a few years back we don't have the disk, or anything.

Would you know where we can find the EISA Configuration Utility and the Config for the motherboard. We would like to atleast get it running, then probably sell off the parts or who system.

Thanks

i have to ask ...

why are either of you guys bothering with these ancient systems?

pentium pro servers, while usable for small projects or to maintain some legacy apps, are not something you try to max out, especially if it costs you more than $10 to do so. adding ram to one to get 1 GB and spending $75 is crazy. copy any data on it and junk it as e-waste.

for $75 you can get a modern dual core cpu and mobo combo with 1-2 Gb of ram on sales at frys or newegg. this system with, a few ide drives, will run complete circles around 6 pentium pro cpus using old scsi II drives off of eisa ports.

these things aren't of any historical signifigance, nor have any intrinsic value. migrate your app or data ,scrap em, and move on.

Back