Data Migration Software

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
Within the next few days I will be adding two new hard drives to my computer. I currently have two 60GB drives working in a RAID 0 array, which also hosts Windows XP. The new drives are 250GB a piece and will also be working in a RAID 0 array....with one difference. Currently I only have a single primary partition on my array. On the new array I want to build two partitions, one for XP and the other for Vista Ultimate.

I wanted to migrate everything from my current array to the new one without having to reinstall XP.

I currently use Acronis True Image Home 11 to back everything up. I do not know if I can do a migration with this software. Besides, I wanted to preserve the boot sector so the new array is still bootable.

Does anyone know if TIH does this or do I need another piece of software to do this migration? I saw Migrate Easy 7, but I did not want to purchase it because I will only be using it a single time. Any free software would also be great!

Thanks!

Why don't you just install Vista and run XP in a virtual machine or vice versa?

I do not know if I can do a migration with this software. Besides, I wanted to preserve the boot sector so the new array is still bootable.

That would be the clone option. Acronis does support most RAID drivers and you will have the option to resize your partition when you clone. I've used all the features, but not with a RAID array, and it works just fine. BUT, I would never try this stuff without a backup.

I'd say you're good to go.

Good Luck!

Hippie- I use the BARTPE cd to use Acronis when I need to boot outside of XP.
Here is a better question. We all know that a HDD contains an MBR. My question is, if I use Acronis to clone my XP partition to another drive, will the boot record be copied as well? I will reinstall Vista onto another drive.

As far as virtual machines go, I want to test vista as time goes on (Post RTM SP1). I am not ready to use Vista full time yet and want to use XP instead for the time being. I do not want to run Vista inside of a VM, I just want it to run as it would if I installed it on a primary partition (primarily with NO emulation of drivers).

If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it.

My question is, if I use Acronis to clone my XP partition to another drive, will the boot record be copied as well?

Yes. As I said before, that is the Clone function. I have booted directly from cloned drives. For all intents and purposes, it's the same drive. I've had a lot of experience with Acronis in the past 5 years. I've used all the functions from within Windows, and using the Acronis boot disc. Couple months ago, I used a back-up image on an external drive, of an Asus A8n-Sli machine, and restored the image on a fresh install on my new Abit IP-35 Pro....Just wanted to see if it could be done. Either Seagate or WD, or both, now include a stripped down version on their Drive tools disc for the clone function. What's that tell ya?

Believe me, I'm self taught on computers. Nobody has showed me one thing. You know how many buttons I've pushed (What will this do?), and screw-ups I've had (AWWW Shit, shouldn't done THAT)? :D Acronis has saved my buns many-a-time! :D

EDIT
Hippie- I use the BARTPE cd to use Acronis when I need to boot outside of XP.

All my comments are about a stand alone version of Acronis. I have used Barts CD, but don't know the extent of Acronis's functions in that media.

Back