David Reeves: This Christmas Not That Critical

Conker

2[H]4U
This Xmas not critical, says Reeves

Declines to respond to price cut rumors

SCEE president David Reeves has dismissed suggestions that this holiday season will be the most critical one Sony faces in the fight to win the next-gen console battle.

In an interview with semi-official Sony blog Three Speech, Reeves said: "I think each peak is crucial to maximise what you can do, but I don't think this Christmas is necessarily the most critical one - I think that's going to be Christmas 08."

"I see this more as kind of like a tsunami – it starts small and gathers speed, and eventually, after four or five years, it will start to take you over."

Responding to criticism of the lack of a European price cut to match the recent US drop, Reeves defended SCEE's actions. "July is not really a gamers' month unless you get a big, big title," he said. "So we thought if we reduced the price, we'd annoy a lot of people."

"We did think about it, but we also felt that it wasn't doing that badly," Reeves continued. "In the US, they've been going for more than six months, so they took the decision that going down in price was a better thing to do than a value pack."

Reeves declined to comment on rumours that SCEE would announce a European price cut at Leipzig.

"We know exactly what we’re going to do and when we're going to do [it]," he said.

"We are confident but not arrogant about reaching a very, very good installed base on PS3, and having the same momentum that we had with the PS2. We're not putting our heads in the sand - we know it's not selling that well, but we know that it's selling according to the targets."
He's setting himself up for failure it seems like.

I don't know. After four or five years the PS3 might start selling really well. By that time it will be cheap, have plenty of games, and most people will already have a 360 and Wii.

didn't they say last year that this christmas is the one that counts? :rolleyes:

Responding to criticism of the lack of a European price cut to match the recent US drop, Reeves defended SCEE's actions. "July is not really a gamers' month unless you get a big, big title," he said. "So we thought if we reduced the price, we'd annoy a lot of people."

Does this make any sense at all? You'd annoy people by reducing the price? The only ones you'd potentially annoy were those that just bought the console at a higher price, and that's always a danger with consumer electronics.

...I don't get it. :confused:

Does this make any sense at all? You'd annoy people by reducing the price? The only ones you'd potentially annoy were those that just bought the console at a higher price, and that's always a danger with consumer electronics.

...I don't get it. :confused:

Well, it is a good point. We lower the price and you sell X% more consoles because of the price drop, but wait there are no games to play now customers might be upset and will go and return the system after playing Y b-class game and beating it so quickly.

Though him this is not an important is being very sketchy, this year could make or break the PS3. Now I do not think it will kill the PS3, but it could hurt them and not be able to pull out a good running, or it could help them pull to #1 and hold the lead again.

Kind of funny he's saying this, since during E3 he said:

"PlayStation 3, you will see, will be far and away the winner when you look at it by March '08. They really, really will," he predicted.

Now to be "far and away the winner" by March of '08, I think that means you'd have to have big success during the holiday season. I mean you're currently at least 7 million units behind the Xbox, and by March you're going to be far and away the winner? Unless he doesn't mean sales and marketshare. :confused:

If this Christmas isn't critical for you, how do you expect to be winning by March of 08? :confused:

Lair comes out in less than a month right? MMMMMmmmm I can't wait!

I can see it now!!

**PS3 Combo** 499.99 + Resistance + MotorStorm + Lair

Its called the PS3 FTW COMBO :p

I do kidna see what he is saying because any game that is actually going to use the ps3 as a ps3 instead of a shitty ported game box won’t be coming out tell 2008 because good games take time to make.

If they can get GT5 out by Christmas time 2008 the PS3 will probably sell most throughout the Christmas season. And it wouldn't hurt if they had a hand full of titles that looked as good as GT5 does because damn it looks good.

when are they gonna fire this guy? almost every week he says something to make him look like an idiot. the pr dept about scee has to be the most exciting/aggravating job on the planet.

when are they gonna fire this guy? almost every week he says something to make him look like an idiot.
He's allowed to mouth off because in the most simple terms he's in control of the only market where the PS3 sales aren't shockingly bad (only moderately bad).

Back