Daylight Saving Glitch Leaves Hangover For Some

HardOCP News

[H] News
Thanks to that brilliant “lets extend daylight savings to conserve energy” thingy the Congress pulled, many people (including us) have had minor headaches the with time change being moved back a week. But think of all the energy we are saving.

But Congress didn't just spring forward a little early this year. It's also is making us wait a week longer to fall back. Instead of changing this past weekend, we don't go back until next weekend. I thought most of the gadgets would know, but it appears not all of them got the message.

Ah, this is probably why my boss asked me if we switched over today and I said it was next week :p

I was reminded of this BS when it "switched over" yesterday. I still have auto setting clocks that I bought before this retarded change was put in place. So my computer clocks were different than all the other clocks in my house. I was very disoriented throughout the day. Having to go and replace all the clocks in my house is not something I'm looking forward to, such a stupid thing to spend money on.

That change did NOTHING. Just harass us. Thanks a lot democrats what a wonder use of your first days in congress that was.

my clock switched over on my computer box

thankfully i woke up 30 mins before my alarm was supposed to go off...

I check my cell phone... its 8:30... wheres my music playing?

Turn on my monitor... Oh... OH

Lol I almost got screwed.

I have 2 atomic clocks I bought at Target. I think they're both made by Sharp. The one with the digital face is on the new schedule. The analog one is still confused.

Here at work the servers were fine, and the voicemail clock was ok because the software allows one to manually define DST start and end dates.

But the phone system wigged out a bit.

I'm curious to see if as much blows up when the time changes back as it did in the spring. I lost a lot of hours cleaning up after that one.

That change did NOTHING. Just harass us. Thanks a lot democrats what a wonder use of your first days in congress that was.

So true...bunch of idiots. :mad:

Oh, and you do of course know the bill to change DST was passed in August 2005. When there was a Republican majority in Congress.

But hey, don't you go letting those pesky little facts bother you. :p

Who's bright idea was daylight savings time anyway, and aren't there countries that don't even bother with it?
The purpose is not saving oil. The whole thing has been pushed for years by companies who will do more business if folks have more daylight after they get off work. Golfing, bbqing, shopping, I'm sure you can come up with more.
-Some random guy...

My stupid clock reset itself back an hour at 2am Sunday morning and I was a half hour late to work because of it :mad:

Who's bright idea was daylight savings time anyway, and aren't there countries that don't even bother with it?

-Some random guy...

Those countries are either small or thier culture has adapted so much that it doesn't really matter. For them to change now would be insane.

... or they simply don't care :)

Yet another reason why Arizona is a great place to live. Daylight what? Switch what? Nah, we'll keep the same time year round :D

Those countries are either small or thier culture has adapted so much that it doesn't really matter. For them to change now would be insane.

... or they simply don't care :)

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html

lots of info on what countries do and don't do...

China is always GMT+8 even though it has 5 time zones... why can't the US do that? :p

Also parts of the US don't do DST, Hawaii and quite a bit of Arizona and some other places too.

http://www.infoplease.com/spot/daylight1.html

lots of info on what countries do and don't do...

China is always GMT+8 even though it has 5 time zones... why can't the US do that? :p

Also parts of the US don't do DST, Hawaii and quite a bit of Arizona and some other places too.

Yes, I agree, a universal time would be great. Quite frankly, I never understood that either... 5pm is 5pm no matter where you are.

Thanks for the link, good info.

Every single clock in my school went back an hour. It was quite confusing. Luckily I use my cellphone to check the time, otherwise I would have been an hour late to all of my classes.

Every single clock in my school went back an hour. It was quite confusing. Luckily I use my cellphone to check the time, otherwise I would have been an hour late to all of my classes.

Hell, I would have milked that :D

I don't think you guys want more sunlight....

:D

More sunlight? Like DST magically slows down the sun to make the day longer or something? :D

I've always hated DST. And in the present day and age it makes not one damn bit of difference.

I had no idea it was time to change the clocks. I would have been an hour late to class haha. Luckly I have another week.

Quite a bit of AZ? Huh?

Well its all of Arizona with the exception of the Navajo Nation that doesn't use DST, dunno how big they are though as I wasn't able to find a map of just Arizona and them, as they expand into the neighboring states.

Well its all of Arizona with the exception of the Navajo Nation that doesn't use DST, dunno how big they are though as I wasn't able to find a map of just Arizona and them, as they expand into the neighboring states.
Yeah, I researched it and posted about it right after. But thanks! :D

Laugh out loud material, to see it called a "daylight saving glitch" when all that's really happened is that some people have unwisely placed complete trust in technology to manage their affairs for themselves! I'll reset my own alarm clock, thank you very much!

... or they simply don't care

Nothing really 'wrong' with the idea of daylight savings. It is a definite convenience for some of us, and for the rest of us there's nothing inherent in the scheme which should provide anything other than the mildest of annoyances. Far as I'm concerned all the complaint you see is little more than misunderstandings and the prattlings of people who'd never be happy and satisfied no matter what happened!

DST is outdated and worthless. It should have been killed years ago. How much energy is going to be saved in our nearly 24/7/365 society?

It's not like we shutoff and turn on our data centers for according to DST...:D

The whole reason you have daylights savings time is for children who go to school. It's so they don't wake up in the dark in the morning to go to school which is safer for children waiting for the bus.

Though I'm sure a lot who have posted on this topic have no children and no clue as to why it was orginally introduced. It's definitely a must for some of us and isn't confusing or a pain really for anyone.

It takes like 30secs to change the time of a clock..2mins tops if you're really slow? :rolleyes:

Please, as said above, some people will never be happy no matter what.

The whole reason you have daylights savings time is for children who go to school. It's so they don't wake up in the dark in the morning to go to school which is safer for children waiting for the bus.

BZzt, incorrect.

True there have been studies identifying safety benefits of DST. In 1974 when DST was imposed year round there was 'opposition concerned about children leaving for school in the dark'.

None of this is the real reason why we have DST. For that was must go for a jaunt in our time machine. In 1784 Benjamin Franklin purposed to the French a form of DST that would save shopkeepers an estimated 1e6 franc/year on candles. Later in 1905 William Willet purposed DST to the English because he 'disliked cutting short his [golf] round at dusk' and it would reduce expenditure on artificial light.

DST didn't take hold until 1916-1918 during WWI to conserve coal/fuel. First by the Germans and its allies, then Britain and other European countries, and finally the US in 1918. After WWI US Congress repealed DST. The US, in 1942, returned to "War Time". Then in 1945 it was abolished once again, but returned once more in 1946 as DST summer time.

If you're keeping tabs that's: conservation +4, sports/entertainment +1. Of course I've not covered all the nuances.

Continuing our journey. The US in 1966 passed the Uniform Time Act of 1966. This act created time zones, allowed states that straddle time zone to choose a time zone for the entire state, and mandated that if the state observed DST it must do so on specific dates. This act was at the behest of the transportation industry which took issue with non-uniform time. It's also the reason why the DOT was given the power to enforce the law.

In 1973, pay attention now here's where school children come in, the US enacted a trial of year round DST to conserve fuel during the Oil Embargo. Supporters claimed more daylight during winter for recreation, reduced light/heating/crime/accidents. While those opposed said 'think of the children and their trek to school in the dark we don't have transporters like they do in Star Trek yet'. (okay they didn't say that exactly but this is my free time here and I'm allowed some fun). The trial was over in 1975.

Were almost there, I promise!

In 1986 the start of DST changed to the 1st Sunday in April (and I'm too lazy to look up the amendment P.L. 99-359).

Finally in 2005 the start and end of DST was changed again starting in 2007 (P.L. 109-58). Despite being call the "Energy Policy Act of 2005" it was primarily lobbied for by retail and sport industries.

Final tally (methods and results may vary):
conservation +5
uniformity +1
sports/entertainment +2
OMG think of the children +1

"Think of the children" gets 1/9th of the pie, not the whole damn thing. :D

Though I'm sure a lot who have posted on this topic have no children and no clue as to why it was orginally introduced. It's definitely a must for some of us and isn't confusing or a pain really for anyone.

It takes like 30secs to change the time of a clock..2mins tops if you're really slow? :rolleyes:

Wrong.
I'll be happy when DST no longer exists. :D

DST is really stupid. Even when I was younger and started realizing how fast 1 hour can fly by I saw this. 1 hour is just to short a time to make it worth two shits. Maby if it was 2 hours, but that would cause all kinds of chaos.

It would be automatic if people bought atomic clocks.

Yeah, no matter what they do, some people wont be happy, regardless of the outcome.

For those that asked for a universal time, there was "internet time" a few years ago that Swatch tried to do, but it didn't really catch on I think.

I went to the market after work yesterday. The lights in the parking lot were not on and it was a mess to say the least.

I was burned by the switch too. I'm saying over at my parents house this week to take care of the dog while they are out of town. I found out yesterday morning that the alarm clock in the room I'm sleeping in is an autoupdating type. Luckily I realized it when I got breakfast and ended up only being a few minutes late to work.

I agree with others that would like to see DST go away. It isn't needed in Texas. I could see a slight benefit to northern states, but along the south it's just an annoyance twice a year.

So true...bunch of idiots. :mad:

Oh, and you do of course know the bill to change DST was passed in August 2005. When there was a Republican majority in Congress.

But hey, don't you go letting those pesky little facts bother you. :p
And what are the Democrats doing differently? :rolleyes:

Yeah, congress isn't too big on fixing.

The sun didnt rise here (northern washingon) till nearly 8:00am, and it sets before 5:00pm, though it depends on what you mean by "rise/set". If its dark enough that I cant see where im driving without my car's headlights on, i am going to assume the sun hasnt began to rise quite yet. "But what about when you leave for work in the morning" You might ask?

Scenario: (When I was on a normal 6-8 shift)

A World without DST
I would wake up at 5:00am to complete darkness, sit in my diesel VW with the glow plugs doing their thing, and make an attempt of some kind at starting it. Its dark, its cold, and my cars engine sounds like its full of rocks, clacking and banging. Then, scrape off the ice from the window... let it warm up so the inside of the window in the car defrosts, if im lucky I get there at 5:30 am and sit in the break room staring blankly at the floor, then clock in around 6. By the time 9-10am came around, the sun comes creeping over the mountains to give a dim, weak light. Around 10:00am, its time for "lunch" break, a whole hour... Walk outside in the dimly illuminated parking lot, and get my crappy meal. Somehow it will eventually become 8:00pm.. clock out, walk out to my car in the darkness, cycle the glow plugs... start the car, and scrape the windows as the diesel bangs and clacks as if it were full of rocks.

A World with DST
I would wake up at 5:00am to complete darkness, sit in my diesel VW with the glow plugs doing their thing, and make an attempt of some kind at starting it. Its dark, its cold, and my cars engine sounds like its full of rocks, clacking and banging. Then scrape off the ice from the window... let it warm up so the inside of the window in the car defrosts, if im lucky I get there at 5:30 am and sit in the break room staring blankly at the floor, then clock in around 6. Around 10:00am, its time for "lunch" break, a whole hour... Walk outside in the dimly illuminated parking lot, and get my crappy meal. By the time 8-9am came around, the sun comes creeping over the mountains to give a dim, weak light. Somehow it will eventually become 8:00pm.. clock out, walk out to my car in the darkness, cycle the glow plugs... start the car, and scrape the windows as the diesel bangs and clacks as if it were full of rocks.

Some people might be able to relate to that scenario, some may not. You can adjust the hours as much as you want, because it doesnt mean a damned thing. All of a sudden the sun rises an hour earlier? Whoop-dee-doo, as most of us wake up and go to work *hours* before that. Now all this means, there is one extra hour of time that the roads have to cool and ice-over for my wonderful drive home.

I agree with others that would like to see DST go away. It isn't needed in Texas. I could see a slight benefit to northern states, but along the south it's just an annoyance twice a year.

Northern states? Its dark, its cold... and for those of us who actually have a schedule which we must adhere to, making us wake up earlier/later just adds to the frustration. The summer is the opposite, too damned hot, it wont set till late... DST fails to make any improvements, for both seasons. Of course I can only speak for myself here, but I doubt many people really care about that "extra hour" in the morning.

Its not about the trouble of leaning over and pushing the "HOUR" button on my clock a few times... its about the stupidity of "saving daylight", especially since i have very little of that to begin with. Though mostly, just me having to wake up at different times twice a year with no gain. The fact is, Im awake and at my job more hours during the winter season, than there are hours of sunlight.

Whoop-dee-doo, as most of us wake up and go to work *hours* before that.

Therein lies the reason matters like this generate heated opinions and arguments. We each like to assume that our own, personal experience is representative of 'most of us'. It rarely is.

The beneficial impact of daylight savings varies in accordance with how far north (or south, in the southern hemisphere) you live. My own residence lies about 38 degrees South. That's possibly about the ideal latitude for the benfits DS can bring. I nowadays work from home, and have full control of what hours I work. But when I was actually travelling to a workplace on a daily basis DS had a quite beneficial impact for me. It reduced the numer of days per year in which I both set out for work and returned home from work to ZERO. It also increased the period during which I had six hours or more of daylight outside of work hours by about a month or two each year! It just downright conveneient to have as much of that daylight as possible occurring after I return from work, rather than before I go there.

I dunno. I look at a global map and I think:

• It's a complete irrelevence for equatorial/tropical and artcic/antarctic regions, and that's why DS basically isn't used in those areas.
  • The 38 degrees or thereabouts puts a line through some well-populated/economically advanced areas of the globe, including a line smack bang through the middle of the US.
  • I have to wonder why the bulk of Europe would bother with it.
  • China is 'whack', but that's got little to do with DS. Making everybody adhere to the same time zone serves only the interests of the State and of corporations/organisations. It's not in the interests of the population.

DST is outdated and worthless. It should have been killed years ago. How much energy is going to be saved in our nearly 24/7/365 society?

It's not like we shutoff and turn on our data centers for according to DST...:D

DST wasn't implemented to save energy (though this change may have been). Among other reasons for DST is so that kids don't go to school before dawn.

Nevertheless, I'm really not sure why they extended DST. i doubt it saves energy and I doubt people will shop more any more or less.

The other reason to Spring Forward is so the sun isn't rising at 4 AM. If you live in the south, I think the need for DST is reduced significantly, but when you get further north, your days are quite a bit longer in the summer and much shorter in the winter.....and then there's Europe, where the sun barely seems to get over the horizon in the winter and the sky isn't dark until almost 10pm and starts getting lighter by 4 (and that was in Corsica which is south of France. Head up to Scotland or Sweden, and it nights are even shorter.

That said, I really think the extension was a waste of resources. For someone like me, it might help, since i use a programmable Thermostat, which I let go up to 82 or higher while at work, 79-80 when I get home and 73-74 by the time I'm in bed (god bless Honeywell)

Most people I know pretty much leave the thermostat on on temp all day long

Back