Dayton Subwoofers on Special at Parts Express

porterhaus said:
My understanding is the new sub has the same driver and amp as the old one. The main difference is the cabinet. Its front firing with (2) rear ports instead of down firing with (1) front port. Until these get delivered and we get some feedback on how they perform we don't know if this is an improvement or not. These subs are getting sold as fast as they can get them in stock. We will see if this continues with the new design. :)
I imagine the biggest difference besides cabinet design would be placement of the sub itself.

Oh yea OP, might want to update the 12" sub link in your original post :)

lowside67 said:
damn the ppl who ordered the 12" got fucked lol.

If you have animals that like to destroy things, then a downfiring sub is a godsend. The way my dogs tear around the house, I'd give a front firing sub about a week before they crashed through it. :) The specs on the new and old subs are identical, so I'm guessing they won't be much of a difference.

I did get mine hooked up this weekend, and man is it nice. I was using the 8" sub from my logitech Z560 set as a holdover until now, and it isn't even a fair comparison. The new sub is louder and a million times cleaner sounding than the logitech. I'll have to take a pic of the 2 for the people who were asking about logitech sub vs. this sub. This 12" sub absolutely dwarfs the logitech sub.

Hmm

I was thinking, for a PC speaker setup:

- Dayton 12" powered Sub
- my 2 Yamaha bookshelf speakers (2-way passive, 6.5" + dome tweet)
- my 2-channel receiver 50w x 2 (probably closer to 30w really)
- Possibly powered 2-channel Actual PC speakers for the rear [Just need it to function for now]

Total Cost (to me): $120 (dayton) + acquiring 2-channel PC speakers...that's it...

And that can hold me over until I:

- Build 4/5 channel amp OR find good deal on receiver
- assemble better speakers with passives (PartsExpress dayton reference drivers + home fabrication)

Edit: Thought about it...Yea I can't pass this up. Decent 12" sub + enclosure + amp + free shipping = $120 = as good as it gets...

Back