DC-DC PSU

mrmagoo_83

2[H]4U
Just a thought here, more a brain fart.

If I were to plug a 12V DC-DC PSU into my current ATX PSU, would that help to power anything I added? Like an LCD, or some Tornados? Or say something drawing like 5amps?

by 12V DC-DC... that's 12 volts in, 12 volts out?

gee said:
by 12V DC-DC... that's 12 volts in, 12 volts out?

Usually DC-DC means 12v in and 12v, 5v, 5vsb and 3.3v used mainly for very small form factor pc's.

If you are plugging a DC-DC power supply into a regular pc power supply you aren't going to get any thing other minus about 15-35% for the efficency loss.

draksia said:
Usually DC-DC means 12v in and 12v, 5v, 5vsb and 3.3v used mainly for very small form factor pc's.

If you are plugging a DC-DC power supply into a regular pc power supply you aren't going to get any thing other minus about 15-35% for the efficency loss.
DC-DC as far as i'm concerned is any power supply with DC in and DC out..

i'll wait for the thread starter to clarify.

What I found was a power supply for an mini-itx motherboard.

It accepts a 12V DC input, and puts out 12V DC.

I was thinking that I would use a 12V rail off my main ATX PSU, to power this smaller PSU. I was thinking that this smaller PSU would create its own power and the power drawn from it would not affect the ATX PSU. But that would mean that it would create energy, which isn't possible. I think I am off.

mrmagoo_83 said:

I was thinking that I would use a 12V rail off my main ATX PSU, to power this smaller PSU. I was thinking that this smaller PSU would create its own power and the power drawn from it would not affect the ATX PSU. But that would mean that it would create energy, which isn't possible. I think I am off.

In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics.

mrmagoo_83 said:

Sweet! You could just keep hooking up multiple DC-DC power supplies to each other until you have enough electricity to power the world! All from a single ATX power supply!

;)

You are correct, it is not possible to create energy from thin air.

You can create energy from thick air though, using wind turbines.

While doing it would provide you with additional 5V and 3.3V lines, it will simply be pulling all that power from the 12V line of the ATX PSU. It really wouldn't be giving you anything useful...except perhaps easier access to 3.3V. You can get 12V and 5V straight off the PSU.

Back