DD 6800 Water Block

iownyou14

Limp Gawd
My friend has a Koolance Case with liquid cooling and he also has a 6800 ultra. Is it possible to use the Danger Den 6800 water block instead of the Koolance GPU water block? Will this improve the performance and make the temps lower so he can OC it? Also, will it affect the CPU cooler, etc, since its changing from 1/4" to 1/2" or 3/8"?

That's a lot of heatload you're adding to that Koolance system. Are you sure it has the capacity for it? And voiding the warranty on a brand new $500 card, you're braver then me :).

ToddTheFrog said:

I'm not necessarily saying that it IS the better block, just that I've talked to a good number of ppl on other forums (and around here) that have one or the other.....and while the water cooling setups themselves are different, the DD is still my block of choice, if for no reason other then the fact that the CoolMatic looks like a$$. ;) :p

Any reason he doesn't want to go with the Koolance block for his 6800? DDR3 does not heat up very much - he would probably be just fine with that other block - and it is a ton cheaper.

He just heared good things about the DD 6800. If he does use the DD, will it mess up the flow rate??? If it does, then he will stick with the normal koolance block.

iownyou14 said:
He just heared good things about the DD 6800. If he does use the DD, will it mess up the flow rate??? If it does, then he will stick with the normal koolance block.

Well right off the top of my head, the DD block doesnt seem like something that I'd put into a lower flow system with 3/8" tubing like the Koolance. I can't think of any results I've seen from ppl trying it out, but there might actually be a better way to go.....I think that the DD and Coolmatic would kill the flow rate too much in something like the Koolance.

iownyou14 said:
My friend has a Koolance Case with liquid cooling and he also has a 6800 ultra. Is it possible to use the Danger Den 6800 water block instead of the Koolance GPU water block? Will this improve the performance and make the temps lower so he can OC it? Also, will it affect the CPU cooler, etc, since its changing from 1/4" to 1/2" or 3/8"?

It is not a good idea to add the DD NV-68 block into the Koolance system. The temps will be higher than with his Koolance GPU-180G. You can learn about my experience with the Koolance Exos and the DD NV-68 block here.

Even if he was to feed just the DD NV-68 block with water and put a regular HSF on the CPU, the temps will be worse. The flowrate will be hindered since he'd have to buy hose adapters and the Exos's pump cannot handle the increased resistance from an additional block very well.

Tell him to look at my thread--maybe he'll build a second loop just for the GPU--he'll definitely see better results.

Back