DD: The Official "Post What You've Found" Thread (pics!!)

That looks like the release for a socket 478 hsf. But it cant be, cuz the celeron d is a 775 part.

I looked up the machine on some website and it is a 478 - anyone want this board complete with ram and cpu? Free + shipping or pickup but I might use the case and psu (which looks to be p4 compatible perhaps)

edit: has been shipped to a new home

Got me a motherboard! It's somewhat dust covered, and the case I found it in had no PSU, it was just a beat up case, this motheboard, a Floppy drive, and a case speaker. I only took the motherboard. If anyone has any info on it, please let me know.
100_0641.jpg

Full board
100_0650.jpg

Apparently missing a serial port?

that my friends i think is an intel board (socket 423 to be exact) it uses RD-Ram (you can see the two notches in the slots), i had one similer that had a 1.7ghz 423 on it (it really looks like a 478 morphed into a diff cpu)

not sure what the board is though...so sorry i cant help there

You saying that im wrong twice in a row!? Wow, im really slipping, i should probably retire. A good picture of what is written on the locking mechanism or even the cpu would tell us instantly by the way.

that my friends i think is an intel board (socket 423 to be exact) it uses RD-Ram (you can see the two notches in the slots), i had one similer that had a 1.7ghz 423 on it (it really looks like a 478 morphed into a diff cpu)

not sure what the board is though...so sorry i cant help there

QFT

I just got an old HP Vectra and LARGE ATX case with PSU for only $5. The Vectra works fine but I'm not too keen on old computers. It didn't come with mouse or keyboard so I'm not sure how it works... Other the that the case is unbelievable big, If I had an ATX PC to put inside I think I'd wind up modding it. Till then its gonna sit in my closet though :D.

Check that clipboard with a multimeter for resistance...it may be an ESD model. We use some similar at my work (ours is a single slab type though)....those ESD ones are awesome.

A middle school a few blocks from my house is being torn down after a entirely new building was built right next to it to replace the school.
They had an auction yesterday for everything in the school, they aren't keeping anything.
Everything that didn't sell got thrown into the courtyard and was left for free.
I walked over there at night, and there were literally thousands of folding metal chairs, hundreds and hundreds of desks&chairs, full teacher desks, old equipment like projectors and computers, giant gym mats, folding school lunch tables with bench seats... it was crazy how much crap there was. Like 100x300 ft of nothing but piles of stuff, you couldn't walk in the middle of it without watching your step tryin not to slip and piece an organ with a chair leg haha

anyways, I found a Dell Dimension GX260 and a Slim HP Compaq PC (not sure what model).

the Dell has 1GB memory and the HP has 512MB. Both have 40GB Hitachi HDD's, the Compaq has a dvd drive, both in decent condition. haven't fired them up yet but I'm sure they'll be fine.

worst case scenario, I have a nice dell case i can use for an old pc, some memory to sell on ebay, 2x40GB hard drives, some nice&quiet fans, and a dvd-r drive :)

img3819mediummm5.jpg

img3820mediumsr2.jpg

img3821mediumtn1.jpg

img3822mediumie5.jpg

img3823mediumpz0.jpg

I really wanted to grab two of those beefy science lab tables with the suber thick tops and the legs are like 3"x3" thick and have rubber feet at the bottom. plus 2 drawers in each.... but ya, they could make a cool computer desk setup, but I had a thought of falling asleep on that table and dying of all the chemicals that have been spilt on it and i figured I'd pass on those tables lol

edit // forgot, I also grabbed a couple ps2 keyboards and mice. work great.

^ Nice find!

Ya I know! lol

The Slim HP is a lot better than the Dell.
I just got done putting a spare 6200 AGP video card in it, tweakin it up a bit and installing everything.
Now it's pretty decent :)
P4 2.4GHz // 1GB Memory // 40GB HD // GeForce 6200 128MB // DVD // WiFi // Win XP
I gave it to my little 12 y/o bro, he's pretty stoked since it can play Portal, Halo at full settings, and works pretty well w/ CS3

I might just use the Dell as my dedicated Torrent box and DVD ripper.

hmm, well doing local dives around the neighbor hood (sheesh i wish i was old enough to drive)
came across:
17" crt, worked, gave it to friend
15" crt, worked, gave it to friend
15" crt, busted, threw it out
some speakers that didnt work
a 30 gb ipod box, it still had the sleave in it =D
a bike, salvaged parts from it to make mine to work again
a bunch of wires that were handy
i should go searching again, hey tommorows trash day

lol phimp so your brother basically got a throwaway from his school? id be happy if i got a throwaway from my school.....

A middle school a few blocks from my house is being torn down after a entirely new building was built right next to it to replace the school.
They had an auction yesterday for everything in the school, they aren't keeping anything.
Everything that didn't sell got thrown into the courtyard and was left for free.
I walked over there at night, and there were literally thousands of folding metal chairs, hundreds and hundreds of desks&chairs, full teacher desks, old equipment like projectors and computers, giant gym mats, folding school lunch tables with bench seats... it was crazy how much crap there was. Like 100x300 ft of nothing but piles of stuff, you couldn't walk in the middle of it without watching your step tryin not to slip and piece an organ with a chair leg haha

anyways, I found a Dell Dimension GX260 and a Slim HP Compaq PC (not sure what model).

the Dell has 1GB memory and the HP has 512MB. Both have 40GB Hitachi HDD's, the Compaq has a dvd drive, both in decent condition. haven't fired them up yet but I'm sure they'll be fine.

worst case scenario, I have a nice dell case i can use for an old pc, some memory to sell on ebay, 2x40GB hard drives, some nice&quiet fans, and a dvd-r drive :)

Government waste at its finest. :mad: I hate that people/agencies/etc. just throw away perfectly good stuff.

I found an old P2 machine next to a dumpster a few months back... I didn't bother taking it home to see if it worked though.

I saw a 32" Sharp Tube TV (with component inputs) on the sidewalk a couple blocks from my apartment, but I decided to save my self the hernia from carrying it back. Shame though. The salvage operations in Boston are pretty efficient though, I'm sure it got taken. I snagged a 15" Powerbook G4 box, useful for shipping out some laptops I'm about to sell.

Not a trash find but good as one. Over a week ago, student just moved into a house and was selling a socket a mobo in box. She decided to just give it to me since in the box was other items that didnt appear to be related w/ the mobo. When i get there i get the mobo in box but she says i can heve box full of other stuff that she just wants to be rid of. Sure i said. Later at the busstop, i look thru the box. This is what i find:

2 belkin 3' and 6' a/b usb cables new in package-one is usb 2.0
2 256/333 sodimm memory sticks
1 very long ethernet cable
1 unused in box cooler master socket a heatsink/fan w/ plastic protector covering the bottom
1 strip of green amd duron stickers(6)
1 939 heatsink/fan
1 k7s5a mobo w/ duron 1000 chip
2 xp 1800 chips
1 ati 9800 vid card w/ an artic cooling vga cooler fan
1 32mb agp card
1 linksys 10/100 ethernet card w/ install cd, instruction manual and unused warranty card
2 pci tv cards-one is pinnacle and one unknown
1 older sony/panasonic sound card

I think the guy i spoke to about the same items 4-5 months back was trying to sell the box full for $100. I remember this because it was on the same street and she said the guy that moved had left all this box of stuff behind.

and just today i bought an off brand(planar) 17" lcd flat panel for $32.

My dad found this in a dumped building that is getting ready to be knocked down tommorow.
I haven't measured it yet, but I think it is a 30 something. All it needs is a remote, and he already ordered one =)

DSC07149.JPG

My dad found this in a dumped building that is getting ready to be knocked down tommorow.
I haven't measured it yet, but I think it is a 30 something. All it needs is a remote, and he already ordered one =)

DSC07149.JPG

Wow.... That's a good find! :cool:

DSC07149.JPG

I hate you. :p

DSC07149.JPG

thats freakin nuts!

Yeah, It's not really "dumpster" diving, but basically he went into a trashed building that was being torn down the next day. Just some minor scratches on the finish, the screen itself is perfect, and the new remote works like a charm. He also got 3 leather jackets (in good shape), some cheap hotel quality cabinets/dressers, a ton of misc. wiring from their security and fire system, and he got 5 dome security cameras. They are the actual security kind, that are encased in steel and have nonbreakable plexi. (Its kinda funny, he actually set of the fire alarm of the building that he pulled the wiring from, even though it was supposed to be disabled. :D)

He also took ~300ft of good Cat5 out of the place.

I got this for free, rather the person did not want it back. (It was complete before I gutted it... p4 2.53, biostar board, 1gig, dvd/cdrw ect)

This is why you DO NOT let movers move your PC.

photoee3.jpg

this morning i found a power supply that had 700w, 12v rail, and like 20 different connectors

looks cool to, mesh coverings on wires and a blue led fan on the bottom

im gonna try it out soon

Back