DDC vs D5 pumps

Buntz

Limp Gawd
What are the advantage or disadvantage to a DDC pump or a D5 pump.

This debate usually ends up to be as informative as a "great taste" vs "less filling!" commercial.

DDC = more head pressure, rpm monitoring, smaller form factor, interchangeable top, quieter

D5 = slightly more "reliable", variable speed control, cheaper

Didn't want to start any problems. Just wanted some information,trying to put together a new watercooling system I can build this winter. Thanks Ranker

Ranker I notice two of your loop the fans pull and in one the fans push,did you find any advantages to which way the fans work.

This debate usually ends up to be as informative as a "great taste" vs "less filling!" commercial.

DDC = more head pressure, rpm monitoring, smaller form factor, interchangeable top, quieter

D5 = slightly more "reliable", variable speed control, cheaper

I always thought the DDC was cheaper, unless you get a top for it.

Didn't want to start any problems. Just wanted some information,trying to put together a new watercooling system I can build this winter. Thanks Ranker

Ranker I notice two of your loop the fans pull and in one the fans push,did you find any advantages to which way the fans work.

Performance wise? Nothing significant that I can tell. Only difference, although it may be subjective, is that more noise is created in push.

I think the D5 can push the water faster w/ no restriction, but in a real-life loop they are about the same. The DDC is cheaper un-modded. Add a Petra's or Plexi top and it will be more. And a DDC Ultra is pretty expensive, if I remember correctly.

im not shure but i think the d5 beats a dcc w/o a aftermarket top

The DDC has 4x the amount of head as the D5. So in small, unrestrictive loops the DDC and D5 pretty much perform the same, but if you add several blocks or have a good amount of tubing, the DDC starts to pull ahead because of it's higher head.

The 18w DDC's maximum head is 4.5m, compared to 3.35m with the D5. The 9w DDC's maximum head is 3.3m.

Both the 9w and the 18w DDCs are typically the same price as the D5s.

I have had reliability problems with the DDC's. I just went back to a D5 after my second DDC died.

I have had reliability problems with the DDC's. I just went back to a D5 after my second DDC died.

Most of the cases I've heard of DDC's dieing are related to after market tops. Considering that the pump works just fine without one you can probably avoid this risk.

The 18w DDC's maximum head is 4.5m, compared to 3.35m with the D5. The 9w DDC's maximum head is 3.3m.

Both the 9w and the 18w DDCs are typically the same price as the D5s.

Here it says the MCP 350 (which I assume is the same as the 9W DDC) has a maximum head of 4.0m. The MCP 355 has a max head of 6.1m. The D5 has a max head of 3.1m. Are these performance specs wrong?

http://www.jab-tech.com/Pumps-c-56.html

The DDC-2 (the 18W DDC, also known as the DDC-3.2), at 12V, has a maximum dead head of ~4.5m. At 1 GPM, this falls to ~3.6m. The DDC-1 (the 9W DDC, also known as the DDC-3.1), at 12V, has a maximum dead head of ~3.35m, which falls to ~2.3m at 1 GPM.

These are straight from Laing Thermotech graphs. Unless Swiftech uses modified internals (I don't believe they do), yes, Jab-tech's numbers are wrong.

The disparity is due to the people confusing the graphs between the old DDC-2 and the newer DDC 3.2. The older revision (red impeller) was much stronger. The newer revision, the 3.2 (blue impeller) is the castrated step child with much less head. Although both are 18W pumps, their numbers are drastically different.

That was the reason why there was a major run on the DDC-2's as they were slowly running out of stock about 2 months ago. You can only find DDC 3.2's these days unless someone has some old inventory. In that case, I'd suggest you purchase it since these pumps are commanding a 50% premium over their MSRP's on various sites now.

The older revision (red impeller) was much stronger. The newer revision, the 3.2 (blue impeller) is the castrated step child with much less head.
Do you have any head/flow rate curves handy?

Back