DDR 2 an intel only phonomena?

DryFire

2[H]4U
I was wondering if DDR2 would be widely supported or not by AMD Chipsets as it seems latency is more important then bandwidht for AMD systems and DDR2 just seems to be DDR1 with higher latencies more bandwidth and heat.

Not realyl that excited about it.

About 6 months after 939-pin comes out AMD plans to fully support DDRII (so that's like late September?). Although the 256mb 9800 Pro showed that DDRII had horrible latencies and got incredibly hot (bad for ocing :(), DDRII is the future and AMD will have to progress. I mean, what, stick with DDR until DDR3 comes widespread? DDRII will eventually get better.

Not necessarily, Intel just invested a lot of money into the main memory companies that are going to be producing the stuff, so of course it suits Intel's benefits to incorporate it into their future plans.

*cough* Can anybody say Rambus?

Originally posted by finalgt
Not necessarily, Intel just invested a lot of money into the main memory companies that are going to be producing the stuff, so of course it suits Intel's benefits to incorporate it into their future plans.

*cough* Can anybody say Rambus?

Can anybody say, naive? You probably think that if AMD had money, they wouldn't have invested in technology that is going to benefit their platform before the competition

Originally posted by SnakEyez187
Can anybody say, naive? You probably think that if AMD had money, they wouldn't have invested in technology that is going to benefit their platform before the competition

Yes, but Intel stubbornly stuck to Rambus for a LONG time before they finally realized that DDR was killing Rambus in benchmarks and that nobody wanted to buy Rambus because it was so damn expensive.

According to what I've read AMD has already designed a DDR-II compatible memory controller for the K8, and are waiting until it becomes compelling enough to introduce.

Not really. If DDRII makes it big and Intel gets the praise for being the main company to bring it to the market, then good on them. There has to be some company that brings new technologies to market, and since Intel is one of the biggest fucking corporations in the world, why wouldn't they be the ones to do it?

I don't care if AMD invests in a technology that makes it big. I also don't care if AMD invests in a technology that absolutely fails miserably so that all the Intelphiles can laugh at them, because I have no brand loyalty whatsoever to either one of them.

I just politely request that they both stay in business so that I can get a top of the line processor for around $200.

Frankly I'm glad that AMD is shunning DDR-II in its current iteration. I have little doubt that the technology will improve and then DDR-II will be successful. I only wish that Intel would follow suit with AMD. We have already seen the effects of memory latency on performance, and DDR-II would put Intel further at a disadvantage in games at least.

Originally posted by xonik
Frankly I'm glad that AMD is shunning DDR-II in its current iteration. I have little doubt that the technology will improve and then DDR-II will be successful. I only wish that Intel would follow suit with AMD. We have already seen the effects of memory latency on performance, and DDR-II would put Intel further at a disadvantage in games at least.

Well I think AMD chip architecture makes low latency particularly effective but Intel chip architecture can afford to have high latency because of their insanely fast FSB. As I heard someone say, "AMD chips are like a six-lane highway. What's the use if you are only traveling at like 30 mph? Intel chips are like a ten-way highway. It can afford to travel at 30 mph."

So any one see any real benifit from DDR2?

I sure don't for the AMD side. I know intel has slightly beftter benchs with higher band widtha nd loser timeings then lower with tigheter timings but they are almost neglidgable.

Maybe it's time to go a different path then DDR? XDR anyone?

Vastly reduced power consumption (~40% reduction)
fewer bubbles in the output thanks to no more command bus collissions.

Unfortunatley right now, as has been said, that's at the expense of increased latency. CAS4,5 are simply unacceptable. The write latency is dramatically increased, from 1T on DDRI to 3 or 4T on DDR II.

Alot of that latency stems from the fact that DDR II uses 2 very slow memory cores to pull from in parellel (ie DDR II 400 will read from 2 PC1600 memory cores).

DDR II favors quantity over quality right now. More data, longer to wait for each bit.... (hey this does sound like RAMBUS.....)

AMD will support it when it has matured and developed into a worthwhile product.

No, AMD will support it when they can afford to support it; I mean, let's be honest. Heh.

Back