DDR1 Memory Prices

vincentxweb

Weaksauce
Anyone know how DDR1 memory prices will be later this year and into next year? I'm asking this in relation to the introduction of AM2, and the phasing out of DDR1 dependent systems (S939).

I currently have 1GB of DDR1 on a DFI nF4 board and won't be needing more than that for awhile (I have a lot to do and am trying to stay away from games in the months ahead). If DDR1 prices are only going up (or even staying the same) from this point on, then it makes sense to get 2GB or even 4GB now and be ready for Vista and gaming at that point.

I'm just afraid of waiting and dealing with higher prices later even though I might not need a memory upgrade right now. I keep reading how some memory companies are halting development on DDR1 and decreased supplies will drive prices up. Will people more knowledgeable in the industry give me information on this? Thanks. :)

Given the nature of the spot market for memory, if anyone really knew this they'd be able to make a ton of money. My own take is that prices are about as low are they are going to go. Demand is going to be tapering off as systems move to DDR2, so if you have the cash, buy it now.

^ i agree, prices have fallen considerably within the past year and i doubt they're gonna get lower.

They'll continue to slowly and steadily decline until the end of this year. By 2007, AM2 will have been around long enough that DDR1 will be obsolete technology.

i actually see prices goin up a bit once amd switches to DDR2 and the demand for DDR1 is no longer there (OEM will fully adopt, and enthusiats will fully upgrade, which leaves only the few taht want to upgrade their ram)

I work for Corsair, and even I don't know what's going to happen later this year and early next year with DDR1 memory. Memory is a very volatile industry and the prices fluctuate dramatically.

If I had to guess, I'd say there'd be a slight decrease in price this summer, but in the fall and around christmas prices will rise higher than they are currently.

To be honest, right now is a very good time to buy memory, prices are lower than they have been in a while and you can get 2x1GB kits for around $130-$150 if you're not concerned with overclocking.

EDIT: If you remember when SDRAM went away and was replaced with DDR, for a while DDR was more expensive and SDRAM was cheaper, then within 6 months to 1 year, SDRAM was hard to find and it eventually surpassed DDR in $/mb due to lack of supply.

Back