DDR4 2666MHz cas 15 or 2800MHz cas 16?

Is the purpose of this discussion to see which kit would benchmark higher? If so, carry on.

But otherwise, why isn't anyone asking the more obvious question - does the speed difference practically matter- which I think was already answered with DDR3 where 2133 was the cutoff of it not mattering if it was faster.

You may be right, but what was applicable to the _87 and _97 platforms isn't necessarily applicable to the X99 platform, is it?

You may be right, but what was applicable to the _87 and _97 platforms isn't necessarily applicable to the X99 platform, is it?

Well X99 off the bat has quad channel which doubles its performance over the mainstream chipsets. Other than that I don't see 8 cores being held back by DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2133. Consider this - not even the Xeon 18 cores in datacenters getting slammed with constant transactions are going to run off more than DDR4-2133 because that's what Intel specs.

Don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but just don't like seeing stuff like "oh you HAVE to get DDR4-3000" thrown around when I don't remember anyone seeing any real world benefit to DDR3-3000 which does exist.

That's essentially what I was seeing even with running triple-channel after taking out the bad RAM stick from my new system. No meaningful performance difference based on the new RAM, even when it defaulted to 2133.

VMs may be slightly more sensitive to RAM performance, and a ramdisk certainly would benefit, but things like gaming don't really require anything special from the RAM where bandwidth or latency come into play beyond like DDR3-1600 9-9-9 in dual-channel. Anything better than that is just a cherry on top.

Back