Dead CPU?

bhag

Weaksauce
Problem: Computer wouldn't post/boot. Monitor/keyboard/mouse not recognized. Would power up then shut down then power up, etc.

Ordered a new Gigabyte UD3P thinking my mobo was dead. Installed. Same problem as above with only PSU/CPU/heatsink/fan/RAM. No beeps just powering up then shutting down then repeating. Removed the RAM... same thing... no beeps.

OK so it must be my PSU or my CPU. Bought a digital multimeter from Home Depot today. PSU with only 3 fans/3 HD/DVD attached I received normal voltages of 12/5/3.

OK so it doesn't appear to be my PSU.

So it must be my CPU right?

Is there anything that I'm missing or should test before I order a new CPU? :confused:

What RAM do you have?
Did you re-seat the CPU?
Are you sure all the proper cables are plugged in to the motherboard from the PSU?

What RAM do you have?
Did you re-seat the CPU?
Are you sure all the proper cables are plugged in to the motherboard from the PSU?

RAM is GSkill in my sig. I'm having the same problem with two different motherboards. I took the RAM out just to see if my motherboard would give me any beeps/response with just the PSU/CPU/heatsink/fans. No response or beeps, just powers up the shuts down then repeats. Didn't work with the RAM in it either. Cables were double checked on both motherboards.

Have you checked for shorts?

I'm not sure how to? If you don't mind explaining... ;)

Thanks for the responses.

To avoid a short, do the following... from the sticky: Basic Troubleshooting Guide...

/*------------- <cut n paste> -------------*/
This is basic troubleshooting if your system has never POSTed (as in, you just put it together); Though, it may be helpful to others whose system no longer POSTs...
If you have both the 20/24 pin main ATX connector plugged in, AND the 4-Pin (or 8-pin) ATX12V P4 CPU connector plugged in, then the board should boot fine (unless it requires more power connectors from the PSU). First, try clearing the CMOS w/ the proper jumper or button.

The next thing you could do is test the PSU. Jump start it (on the main atx connector, short the green wire with any black wire, using a paperclip), and see if it stays on. If not, then its probably a faulty PSU. If it works then you can proceed with the suggestions below. ***NOTE: The paperclip trick is a simple test for those that do not have PSU testers, multimeters, nor a spare PSU to test with. It is not a 100% conclusive test of the PSU.

How to test with a multimeter @ BFG

To avoid a short from the case, setup everything outside of the case, with the mobo on top of its cardboard box. Plug in only the essentials:
- PSU (namely: main 20/24-pin ATX connector and 4-pin ATX12V P4 CPU Connector; The 4-pin should work in the 8-pin EPS12v plugs, too)
- CPU w/ HSF
- Single stick of ram
- Videocard if there is no onboard video (along with its power connector, if it has one)
- System speaker/buzzer (your board may have an on-board tweeter/buzzer/speaker)
- Monitor & Keyboard

Reset/Clear the CMOS by following the instructions in your mobo manual.

* Use a screwdriver if your board doesnt have an onboard power switch. Jump the two power switch leads to turn the power on.

If it won't post, try different RAM slots. If it still won't post, pull out the ram (so no ram in the system) and listen for error beeps. If none, pull the vidcard and listen for error beeps. If none, re-seat the CPU and HSF, then try again. Report back with results if you're still having issues.
/*------------- </cut n paste> -------------*/

Do the HZ sticks have an SPD entry for 1.8v operation? If not, then you need some lower voltage RAM to manually set your voltage on the mobo.

If you get no beeps with no ram/vidcard, then your board is most likely the problem. You can try clearing the CMOS and re-seating the CPU.

Do the HZ sticks have an SPD entry for 1.8v operation? If not, then you need some lower voltage RAM to manually set your voltage on the mobo.

If you get no beeps with no ram/vidcard, then your board is most likely the problem. You can try clearing the CMOS and re-seating the CPU.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure about the SPD.

Yes I get no beeps with no ram/vidcard. I bought a new mobo thinking that was the most likely culprit and have the same issue.

I think I need to start over at square one and go through all of these steps again maybe on both motherboards. I may have access to another PSU to make sure that is not the problem. I have 4 sticks of the same RAM so I can most likely rule out those. Wow this is frustrating. Ideas are appreciated though. :)

Use only one stick of RAM when trying to get it to POST. Also, try another vidcard.

Back